• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ed Hochuli

Seltzer

Yesterday's game is in the record books, and it was a loss. The Panthers deserved to lose.

And still, while I am disappointed in the Panthers losing close games, my optimism for the future in still very much intact.

In rewatching the game, though, it did strike me how many penalties were called, and especially how many ticky-tack penalties seemed to be called against the Panthers.

Which got me to thinking... In the games Ed Hochuli refs, doesn't it always seem like more penalties get called. And not just during Panthers games (although I obviously notice it more), but every game he refs.

So I did some research, and it turns out it is most certainly true in regards to his bias against the home team. Hochuli's crews are always flag happy, and have the 2nd highest "bias" against the home team.

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/blogs/birds-nest/Are-NFL-Referees-Biased-112070159.html

For example, our good friend and "strictest NFL ref" Ed Hochuli is also the umpire with the second-most against home teams. He calls, on average, 1.67 penalties more against the home team than the visiting.

Hochuli is also near the top in total penalties:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/12459/officially-speaking-which-refs-most-active

Personally, I think with the enormous TV growth in the NFL, refs, especially a guy with "guns" like Hochuli, have been household names and their egos have grown with it.

Hochuli obviously likes his TV fame, even tailoring his ref shirts to accentuate his biceps. Hochuli relishes his chance to be the center of attention, and he officiates his games accordingly.

Just like Shockey said, the players are held accountable for every play on the field, so why shouldn't the refs.

Hochuli has certainly made some big-time blunders in the past few years, including a couple of calls that directly impacted the outcome of the game. And yet he continues to not only officiate, but be the lead official as a referee.

The Panthers still lost yesterday, and I'm not going to blame it on the officiating. However, I have grown to despise Ed Hochuli as a ref and his over-inflated ego.

Him officiating games as BOA is obviously a negative for the Panthers, and the evidence confirms what I and I am sure I lot of fans have felt.

Hochuli is an attention ***** for sure. Just say the call stands or is overturned - no need for the long-winded garbage that leaves all fans wondering what the outcome of the challenge is.

But, in his defense, he's not the only one out there dropping flags to the turf. He just has the microphone (and loves it).

I was telling my friend during the game yesterday that Hochuli is a joke. He's like a mascot at this point that no one takes seriously. I think between timeouts the cheerleaders and practice squaders lift him up on a platform with a built-in bench press and the crowd cheers him on and counts out each rep like at a college football game.

Dude is a joke and clearly had some money on the game yesterday.

Archived