• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers To Be In Cap Trouble In 2013 Too?

Ken

If Deangelo doesn't produce this year I don't see him being part of the team next year. The 8 million per year or whatever he's getting on that 5 year deal is sure to be backloaded in years 3-5 so IMO he's gonna either get cut or be expected to restructure.

The other aspect is that in the next 2 years this team is

going to have to start making moves to accommodate Cam's contract, which if he continues at the pace of his rookie year will be the largest contract in NFL history.

Rumor I hear is that Dwill's deal is heavy Front loaded as well as a couple of the others. Again its a rumor, but would make some kinda sense.

What runningbacks we didn't need at the start of the season? Oh that's right you knew what type of year Cam was going to have.... err wait a minute...

Regardless of what Cam was going to be.....you don't pay 2 #1 RBs. If you have to pick you pick the young one.

While all these things bother me a lot of it has to do with JR and how he wants to run his team. We blamed Fox before and now we are blaming Hurney but the truth is JR is setting the precedents. One thing I really dont worry about though is our cap space and signing our own players. Im sure a deal is getting done with smith and its prob going to be complex so its going to take longer but it will get done.

I find it quite humorous that people say it was Fox making all the bad choices back them, and now say it's JR.

What does Hurney do for this team again?

I have never seen any proof that Fox was making these choices, it's all been hear say.

They missed the playoffs most of those years btw

Pittsburgh made the playoffs 5 times in 10 years without LeBeau as defensive coordinator during the free agency era (began in 1993), but they didn't miss because their defense was bad. Their defense has routinely been one of the highest ranked. They missed because their QBs stunk.

But I guess if you want to have it that way. The fact that those Steelers teams managed to carry Maddox, Stewart, O'Donnel, etc. to the postseason is quite impressive. Also a testament to how good Bill Cowher was as a head coach. The Steelers would be good regardless if they had LeBeau or not.

Don't forget 2014, looks like Panthers in equally bad position that year also:

Clayton has reported that the bump in the 2014 cap will be similar to the increase from 2012 to 2013. So let’s say the 2014 cap is a little over $121 million. I also got a look at what each team has committed toward the 2014 cap, and that’s when things should get a little better for NFC South teams, with one big exception: Carolina. The Panthers already have $117.2 million committed to 26 players. Only Philadelphia ($117.3 million) has more committed to the 2014 cap.

The Saints have $83.3 million committed toward 19 players.

The Buccaneers have $79.8 million committed to 21 players.

The Falcons have $75.6 million committed to 18 players.,

Look, you are in such a hurry to defend Hurney you aren't comprehending what I am saying.

Yes Hurney does an OK job with most everything.

Yes the Cap is easier to manipulate than Panthro when you have beer and nachos to offer him.

Yes people freak out over nothing.

MY problem is we/the Panthers can do better.

We can sign our guys cheaper.

We can not poo ourselves over RB's.

We can manage the cap better to get QUALITY deals with QUALITY free Agents.

Im not trying to string Hurney up by the ankles here.

My problem is I want more times like signing Delhomme/Davis and drafting Beason/Kalil in the same year and less giving absurd deals and shitting away draft picks.

I have said Hurney is around 16th in the league as a GM. In 2003-2005 he was more top 10 then IMO. I want that guy back.

I pretty much agree with everything said here. I've said he's average before, so 16 sounds about right.

Don't forget 2014, looks like Panthers in equally bad position that year also:

Clayton has reported that the bump in the 2014 cap will be similar to the increase from 2012 to 2013. So let’s say the 2014 cap is a little over $121 million. I also got a look at what each team has committed toward the 2014 cap, and that’s when things should get a little better for NFC South teams, with one big exception: Carolina. The Panthers already have $117.2 million committed to 26 players. Only Philadelphia ($117.3 million) has more committed to the 2014 cap.

The Saints have $83.3 million committed toward 19 players.

The Buccaneers have $79.8 million committed to 21 players.

The Falcons have $75.6 million committed to 18 players.,

Holy crap that is shocking.

I find it quite humorous that people say it was Fox making all the bad choices back them, and now say it's JR.

What does Hurney do for this team again?

I have never seen any proof that Fox was making these choices, it's all been hear say.

Comprehension is not your strong suit huh.

Compare play off appearances and Super Bowl wins in the tenure of the current Steelers FO and the Panthers FO.

I have back the FO more than most anyone on this board, don't try and come at me bro.

I could give no less fugs about bringing in Vicent Jackson or some other day one signing.

I do give fugs about being up against the cap constantly when we could bring in a week 2 of FA guy that could help this team make significant playoff runs.

Reconstruction of shitty deals over and over is not the answer here.

Not playing favorites with nice guys (DWIll) jumping the gun on draft trades (Armanti), and signing shitty kickers to unmanageable deals is what I am talking about.

(disclaimer i have no idea what Mare's deal is, but he got paid a ton to poo the bed)

Which GM doesn't make mistakes, overpay in retrospection at times, or miss guys in the draft process?? I don't think he is great by any means but he is far from bad either. When have we ever had to dump a bunch of starters to get under the cap. even if we were 25 million under the cap do you think we would be making a big splash in free agency? Bottom line is we have decided on a course of action and are pursuing it.

I am separating what we did with Fox and what we are doing now as 2 different eras. I think we are on the right path particularly with the offense. If the defense improves then i think we are where we need to be. Honestly what does bitching about the past get you. Maybe Hurney has learned from his mistakes and is working to avoid them again.

Holy crap that is shocking.

Not unless you know who they are are and how much they are getting paid. Many of these contracts are backloaded but folks won't collect on it. For example Williams is scheduled to make 9.7 million toward the cap, I expect we will release him before the 2014 season as a June first cut or if he is still productive restructure him. I think we will let him go. There are lots of these contracts on the books. I would have thought knowing how all the front offices work and make contracts that you would have known this already.

Fast forward 11 months:

Time to break out all of those magic cap dollars you guys say we have for the big Stewart signing. What? No money, He just walked away to another team?

That stupid Hurney should have traded him last year and at least gotten a good draft pick for him.

Course all you still think we have a magic bank at this point

Archived