• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Huddle Workout Warriors

Darth Biscuit

Today I saw an older gentleman I've never seen before doing squats on the Smith machine. He was obviously just starting out; he had no clue what he was doing. He caught my attention when I saw him bent like a question mark and the bar right in the middle of his neck. I didn't want to be that douche, so I didn't interfere with him (he had only a 10 lb. plate on each side, so I wasn't worried about him hurting himself.) However, he stopped and approached me to ask for advice.

I was able to help him get his feet, legs, and hips set right and showed him how the weight is supposed to be distributed across his back rather than his neck. But I couldn't get him to stop bending in the middle of his back every time he went down. Is there maybe some sort of technique to use to maybe break that habit? I mean, other than babysitting and reminding him on every rep.

I see some beastly guys using the Smith machine on occasion.  I'm not sure why, though.  They seem to be experienced and knowledgeable, and have good lower body strength.  IDK.  Maybe it's a isolation thing; go heavier since the core isn't engage as much.  In any event, yeah, I wouldn't use it--throws your form off big time.  I'd maybe recommend it for a beginner who needs to know what it's like to bend at the knees with a bar across his back.  Even then ...

Anyone done comparisons to squats with a bar or kettlebells?

Anyone use a TENS or cyrotherapy for recovery? I know TENS works but I heard this guy on the radio claiming that cyrotherapy helps with recovery and burns 5-800 calories

You will not be able to move significant weight with KB squats. They're awkward to hold and are more of a stability exercise than anything else. They're fine as an accessory lift but shouldn't be a core part of your workout routine. Stick to back and front squats. 

TENS really isn't proven to do anything either way. I know many people like it as a form of recovery, and at the bigger crossfit competitions there's always a booth doing them, but I can't find a thing that actually says "hey this will help your recovery substantially." 

There's some evidence that cryotherapy places are very efficacious, but commercial joints typically aren't designed for any kind of serious athlete. Their core demographic are the elderly who need a quick boost of circulation, or rich women who just want to "tighten up" at the beginning of the day, since a lot believe it makes their skin look tighter or something. Basically they don't get cold enough if you have substantial muscle mass. There's only like one company that makes these things. The one at the olympic training facility in colorado gets like 30% colder, for example, according to my buddy travis cooper. 

Burning 500-800 calories in a sitting is absolute bullshit. The one time I went it was free and when they told me that I laughed in their face. 

also make sure to wear cotton underwear. I went in with some compression shorts and had to wear a sock over my dick. 

Archived