• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

"There is always next week"

Zod

What does it suggest about your coaching acumen if you can't get your team to execute better than your opponent, when your opponents are led by a rookie head coach from the big east and an interim head coach?

I'd like to think if you have a healthy team and you're a good coach you can at least split the games. Ron needs to deliver a win or else I don't know if we have as good a leader on the sidelines as we think we do. If he can't draw up a better gameplan than Schiano and Joe Vitt, I think it's time we re-evaluate our perception of Ron.

There are things that have truly concerned me about Rivera. They were a problem last year, but I had hoped it was simply youthful inexperience on the part of the players AND coaches, and that an offseason to work with the team might alleviate things.

Here we are though, and we're still seeing similar problems that plagued us all last year-ones that are directly attributed to poor coaching. Stupid errors, dumb penalties, poor preperatIon, poor clock management on the two minute drill, flat emotion. All these things fall squarely on the shoulders of the coaches.

Some of it is rust no doubt, but at the same time you don't see other coaches-even rookie coaches-struggling with these issues.

I don't think Rivera is a bad coach. But some concerns are starting to creep into my mind.

Part of the problem may simply be that the coaches seem so concerned with implementing all the "fancy, magical tomfoolery" offensively and defensively that there hasnt been as strong a focus on fundamental football on the practice field.

One things for sure.... This ain't the right attitude to have. One week into the season and he already sounds defeated.

The problem isn't losing a game it's how you lost the game. This team should well know they HAVE to score points. They tied the Dolphins for fewest points in a game this week. They also set a record for fewest rushing yards in a game. Pilares led the team in rushing with 1 carry for 5 yards. There was an amateur mistake on a punt that easily allowed the Bucs to send more men then we had blocking on the right side.

If I were the Steelers and Peyton Manning picked me apart while Portis looked like a top 3 corner back, I'd think we can dust ourselves off and get the next one. When Tampa Bay goes in and passes for 138 yards then lets the Panthers defeat themselves the rest of the way, I'm seriously worried. It was a pitiful performance, not just a loss. Don't mistake the two. It may count just as much as any other loss but it was much worse in terms of where the football team is.

I didn't care for "there's always next week" when I heard it initially and I care for it even less now.

We didn't lose yesterday because we were hopelessly out-gunned and made the best effort we could. We lost because our team was unprepared for the game and our gameplan was either terrible or abandoned way too early. These are things that, as the head coach, should be so far up his ass they can see out his mouth and he should be pissed about them.

If he is then would it really hurt to let a little of that show in his presser?

Shades of "it is what it is" to me.

This.

What does it suggest about your coaching acumen if you can't get your team to execute better than your opponent, when your opponents are led by a rookie head coach from the big east and an interim head coach?

I'd like to think if you have a healthy team and you're a good coach you can at least split the games. Ron needs to deliver a win or else I don't know if we have as good a leader on the sidelines as we think we do. If he can't draw up a better gameplan than Schiano and Joe Vitt, I think it's time we re-evaluate our perception of Ron.

And this.

As I've always said, when someone is a Panther, coach or player, I'm pulling for them. I like RR for various reasons, at least as a player and as a person (what I know of him). I've shared it before, but my best friend growing up came from a family of Bears fans, and he used to carry around a picture of some banquet he went to when he was like 7, and it was my friend and RR. He loved that picture and would brag about it to everyone... So, it's that degree of separation thing I guess, but I've pulled for him from day one and will continue to do so as long as he's here.

That being said, there's a time when you have to look at things objectively and understand a situation for what it is. RR has had several notable blunders in 17 games. Yesterday, our lack of preparation showed. There's the time last year where he missed a timeout and cost us points before the half. Numerous posters have said how easygoing his training camps are. And then you wonder why he was interviewed so many times before and never got the job.

And just from the postgame locker room interviews, there's a sense of "there's next week." I'm not saying they should pout about one loss for an entire week, but when one loss is de-emphasized to the point that "there's next week" is the frame of mind week in and week out, there's a problem. That's what ended up happening with Fox.

Rivera has to win next week and at least split with the Bucs and Falcons as well to have any chance of coming back next year. I get the whole "three-year" idea, but we wasted too many years on Fox giving him the benefit of the doubt while he was doing the same stuff. Panther fans that have been through 1-15, numerous 7-9s and 8-8s, and 2-14 want a winning culture, not anymore ho-hum crap.

What Rivera knows is that in order to make the playoffs we will likely need to win 10 games. It doesn't matter which ones. Last Sunday is gone, all there is left is the next 15 games. Move on and try to win the next one.

Wish some folks here could figure out the move on part of it.

Just don't play the whole "race to 10" card. 10 doesn't always get you in, as Coach Radio (Raheem Morris) found out a few years ago. The Falcons will win a bunch, make it to the playoffs and choke like always. The Saints* with Drew Brees are always a contender. I could see both of those teams getting 10 or more. It's the division games like you have next week against the Saints* that will decide your fate.

Please! Beat the Saints*! :D

What Rivera knows is that in order to make the playoffs we will likely need to win 10 games. It doesn't matter which ones. Last Sunday is gone, all there is left is the next 15 games. Move on and try to win the next one.

Wish some folks here could figure out the move on part of it.

That's not the point though. As a coach and as players they absolutely do have to move on to next week; that's not up for debate and it's not what has people steamed. Monday during your presser after the team comes out looking like they really just don't want to be there in a divisional road game is not that time though.

Saying "there's always next week" just reeks of a defeatist attitude. Whether that's his attitude or not none of us can say because we're not with the man in team meetings and we don't get to watch how the team deals with embarrassing themselves on Sunday. The statement obviously doesn't sit right with a lot of people though and no amount of justification is going to fix that. I hope we don't have to hear anything that passive out of him in a presser again for a while.

He didn't say "There's always next week", he said "Well, there's next week". I honestly took it as "Yeah we got our ass beat, but it was one game, we have to correct the mistakes and work hard and keep our morale high and not give up because of this game, we have 15 more to try to win". Maybe it's just me.

1. No we dont want him raging at the press. We want him to simply say something simple that shows this staff understands the things they need to fix. It could be as simple as "The amount of effort was unacceptable and will be corrected" We dont need a hissy fit and we dont need details but after the fox days we have a right as ticket holders to an explanation.

Archived