• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Charlotte is the worst sports town in the galaxy

SCP

true.

fun exercise: think of all the people you know who are lakers fans who don't have a single tie to LA

So that makes LA a bad sports city? I don't see the coorelation. Pittsburgh Steeler, Dallas Cowboy, NY Yankees, Boston Red Sox, etc have simlar fanbases and I certainly wouldn't call those cities bad "sports towns".

I never got that you need to have ties to a city to be a fan of a team. I totally get that people in their 30's and 40's are Steeler, Cowboy, Laker, Celtic fans because I am in my late 30's and growing up as a kid that is who everyone saw on TV every weekend regardless of where you lived so people chose sides. Many people chose sides and stuck with those teams no matter where they live and have passed their love of the teams onto their kids. I dunno....it just doesn't bother me like it does some, I am just on the side of you can cheer for whoever the fug you want and for any reason you want. Besides, many of those people are usually easy to make look like a fool when debating sports.

I hope it will gradually get better. It will take two things;

A. Time.

B. A decent product. The 2004-8 runs probably secured us some young fans, hopefully the Cam era will do the same.

As far as the Giants go, They had a pretty good showing at RFK last week. They have lots of bandwagoners, plus NY transplants are abundant.

What is the saying paraphrased: 'Victory has many Fathers and Defeat is an Orphan'.

When the Panthers start winning more than 3 times in 15 years they will have and grow fans.

The number of people across the country who loved the 2003 Panthers team that made it to the Superbowl in 2004 was high, interest in NC was high.

By God, I even saw Panthers flags and decals here in ACC basketball territory.

Winning makes people interested, losing makes them find something else to do.

These are pros, not college, the expectation is high on pay for performance. I love ND and I love ND whether they win or lose, they are just college kids. The NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, come 'on man...you play like crap, people will NOT pay to see it.

As far as LA, I'm in the Orange County, LA county frequently and I can uneqivocally tell everyone that they will not support a NFL team. They have not in the past and they will not in future. Football is an intense sport and those people out there could give two shake's of a rat's ass about the NFL. They are just as full of %-wise transplants as Charlotte. The sports bars are full out there of those transplants.

typically "good" sports towns are full of intolerable assholes

Philly, Boston, pittsbugh, detroit, ny, chicago

you can have it

They absolutely have their share of a$$holes but that is definitely no where near the majority of the fanbase. Of course I haven't been to all of those cities on game day or spent much time in them to give an honest opinion but I have in a couple of them and give me the game day atmosphere of any of those cities over what is here in Charlotte all day long even as a visiting fan. So I am curious which of those cities you have lived in or attended games in to form this opinion?

I am not bashing Charlotte because I absolutely love this city for so many reasons and have no desire to live anywhere else but to choose Charlotte as a sports town over any one of those cities is ludicrous in my opinion. Sports are meant to be entertaining and it is entertaining in those cities because of their intolerable fanbases and the passion that comes with it. I think Charlotte will become "intolerable" to visiting fanbases with a winning tradition from either the Bobcats or Panthers, I just hope I am still here to soak it all in because it will be fun.

Archived