• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Interesting interview with Mike Tannenbaum on Sirius today.

Strawman

Were you here in 2010,2011, and 2012?

I don't like the idea of using a bandaide on the DT position again. We saw this year how placing more importance on the position helps the Defense as a whole.

Plus you're forgetting the fact we've drafted 5 wr's and brought in 3 Fa WR the last 3 years. When was the last time we used a top 60 pick on a DT? We have done nothing but bring in bandaids for that position.

I agree 2010-2012 has been crap. But those were also the seasons where John Fox didn't give a damn about the team and JR was prepping for the lock out. But in the past we've managed to find guys to at least give us a chance.

All of our WR's selections in the draft have been BS secondary considerations. Lafell is only the one worth anything and no one expected him or expects him to be a #1 guy. Armanti was a worthless project and the expectations for Gettis were never that high.

Not saying that I disagree with you. I would have loved for us to take a top DT years ago. But we have been able to compete in the past without one. WR is at the brink of a huge fall out that we have never seen, probably in the history of the franchise. Maybe not now since we signed Hixon but if something ever happens to Smith.... LaFell, Edwards, Adams, maybe Gettis? That is disastrous.

fug it, let's take WR in both 1st and second.

I doubt we go WR in the 1st and 2cd back to back, but taking 2 WRs in this draft wouldn't surprise me.

We've scouted a ton of WR prospects ranging from 1st round prospects to potential undrafted FAs. Gettleman seems serious about getting Cam surrounded by better receiving talent and based on our FA moves and our scouting, he doesn't seem sold on the existing talent in the least. I fully expect us to go WR in either the 1st or the second, but even if we do, it wouldn't surprise me at all if we went with another one later. I had high hopes for Adams, but I don't think any WR from last year's roster not named Smitty or LaFell is a lock to make this year's roster.

What was that thing Gettlemen said?

"Big men can eat". . . noooo uhmm, "big men allow you to eat". . . nooo "BIG men eat and allow you to also"

It was something like that but anyways, we should totally waste our first round pick on a guy that wont be playing on most of the snaps. I mean all those rookies can block their asses off right?

I know. . Im narrowminded even though Im the one telling you to consider other options and other positions (Right Rayray?). . . Im not intelligent because Im the one saying that you dont draft a guy at 14 to not start even the LaFell and Smith are both still on the roster and are CLEARLY your starters (right LinvilleGorge and Growl?). . . I know. . Im a hater because I am one of the few who believe that one of the guys on our roster could very well break out and make something of himself (Right DaCityCats?).

I agree 2010-2012 has been crap. But those were also the seasons where John Fox didn't give a damn about the team and JR was prepping for the lock out. But in the past we've managed to find guys to at least give us a chance.

All of our WR's selections in the draft have been BS secondary considerations. Lafell is only the one worth anything and no one expected him or expects him to be a #1 guy. Armanti was a worthless project and the expectations for Gettis were never that high.

Not saying that I disagree with you. I would have loved for us to take a top DT years ago. But we have been able to compete in the past without one. WR is at the brink of a huge fall out that we have never seen, probably in the history of the franchise. Maybe not now since we signed Hixon but if something ever happens to Smith.... LaFell, Edwards, Adams, maybe Gettis? That is disastrous.

1. Fox had nothing to do with the 2011 (where we had the worst defense in league) and 2012 (where we aloud 4.2 yards per carry and 110.0 yards per game).

2. We haven't had a good DT situation since Kemo, Kris J, and Buckner were here.

3. My point was you can't act like they haven't tried to put resources into the WR position. They signed, drafted , and traded to help that position.

4. We have been able to compete on the offensive end a lot more the last few years then the defense side. We lost the Bears, Falcons, 2nd Bucs, and Chiefs game because of our defense last year. That's 4 wins we should have had if we could hold a lead in the last 2 mins of a game.

5. You can say that about a lot of position on this team.

What happens if Edwards gets hurt or play drop because of his age? Last year was his best season ever can we really depend on him to have the same production?

What about in the secondary? We are not in good shape there at all.

What happens if Gross or Kali goes down again?

My point is we have a lot of position on the verge of a fall out if a injuries happens. But a lot of teams are that way.

I doubt we go WR in the 1st and 2cd back to back, but taking 2 WRs in this draft wouldn't surprise me.

We've scouted a ton of WR prospects ranging from 1st round prospects to potential undrafted FAs. Gettleman seems serious about getting Cam surrounded by better receiving talent and based on our FA moves and our scouting, he doesn't seem sold on the existing talent in the least. I fully expect us to go WR in either the 1st or the second, but even if we do, it wouldn't surprise me at all if we went with another one later. I had high hopes for Adams, but I don't think any WR from last year's roster not named Smitty or LaFell is a lock to make this year's roster.

If this is the case I would be disappointed with Gettlemen. If you were thinking of getting WR's in the draft. Why spend FA money on that position? We could have used Ginn, Hixon, and Blackburn money on Kelly, Phillps , Branch, Jenkins, or any assortment of secondary, DT and OLine players. WR isn't the only nor the biggest hole on this team and it will be a overkill at that position. With what they've done in FA.

If this is the case I would be disappointed with Gettlemen. If you were thinking of getting WR's in the draft. Why spend FA money on that position? We could have used Ginn, Hixon, and Blackburn money on Kelly, Phillps , Branch, Jenkins, or any assortment of secondary, DT and OLine players. WR isn't the only nor the biggest hole on this team and it will be a overkill at that position. With what they've done in FA.

b/c the FA additions......and an early draft pick....address completely different aspects of our WR corp/team.

b/c the FA additions......and an early draft pick....address completely different aspects of our WR corp/team.

How???

Ginn KR/PR - Austin and Patterson could be KR/PR

Hixon -#2 -#3 WR option - Every WR in the draft (this year) would be a #2-#3 Wr option.

So what is the difference??

Now FA not addressing needs in other Position is a good argument.

No CB we signed is a #1 CB.

No run stuffing DT.

No good complement to Godfrey at Safety.

No Oline signing at all.

I don't agree we have 1 legitimate receiver. LaFell is very legitimate as a number 2. Hixon had injuries in 2010 and 2011 but was healthy in 2012 and averaged 14 yards a catch. He is a legitimate number 3. Then we have a bunch of guys, Adams, Ginn, Gettis, Pilares, etc who will be fighting out the remaining spots. Of course we have our receiver/tight end Greg Olsen and our 3 running backs who all catch well out of the backfield. Any receiver we pick up in the draft will have to fight for playing time and catches and frankly there are no players at 14 who are worth it. I think we will go wide receiver or tight end in the 2nd or even the fourth. I think we could do fine with a Jimmy Graham tight end guy instead of a receiver frankly. In any event, we have much more than 1 legitimate receiver at this point.

I am fully a outside/in guy. Look at the Packers, awful O line but a ton of receiving targets, mediocre D line but solid LB and secondary corps. Thats how I feel a team should be built.

I cringe at taking a D line or O line player in the first two rounds, draft those positions later rounds and coach them up. Now obviously if you are a team that is already stacked with WRs and DBs, then yes by all means draft the O line/D line early. Skill positions should be first priorty

Interestingly enough, I'd say that the Packers do the opposite. They find receivers and DBs who are less heralded and coach them up They haven't spent a first round pick on a receiver since Javon Walker in 2002 or on a DB since Ahmad Caroll in 2004. Look at their receivers who have been successful during the Aaron Rodgers era.

WRs:

Randall Cobb (last pick of 2nd round)

Jordy Nelson (early 2nd round)

James Jones (late 3rd round)

Greg Jennings (mid 2nd round)

Donald Driver (7th round)

They also took Jermichael Finley in the middle of the 3rd round

Their starting secondary consists of:

Tramon Williams (UDFA)

Sam Shields (UDFA)

Casey Heyward (late 2nd)

Morgan Burnett (3rd round)

MD Jennings (UDFA)

Obviously, linebackers in the 3-4 are more of a premium because they are mainly pass rushers, but they still have spent considerable investment on their O-line and D-line. Whether those picks have been as good as advertised is a different story, but they still obviously are placing emphasis on those areas in how they are drafting.

O-line:

Derek Sherrod (1st round)

Bryan Bulaga (1st round)

D-line:

BJ Raji (1st round)

Jerel Worthy (2nd round)

Mike Neal (2nd round)

Justin Harrell (1st round)

Archived