• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam Newton Visits Al Sharpton

chknwing

2a9a9cceab9511e2845f22000a9f3c3e_7.jpg

Cam Newton stops by Al Sharpton's MSNBC office, says hello

Cam Newton stopped by the MSNBC office in New York and said hello to Al Sharpton, the civil rights activist and former presidential candidate tweeted Monday evening.

Sharpton, the host of MSNBC's PoliticsNation, tweeted a link to his Facebook post that he met with the Panthers' franchise quarterback.

"Great surprise," the post read, "NFL star Cam Newton came by My MSNBC office to chat and sat in the studio to watch me do some of the show. Photo is on instagram."

And with the magic of Google search, I was able to find the photo here.

Sharpton is a well-known, and sometimes controversial, civil rights activist and Baptist minister. He's hosted the nightly talk show since 2011.

It's unclear what Newton is doing in New York and it's possible he stopped by other offices and/or shows, but the midtown Manhattan MSNBC headquarters is located just across the street from Radio City Music Hall, where the 2013 NFL draft will take place later this week.

http://blogs.charlotte.com/panthers/2013/04/cam-newton-stops-by-al-sharptons-msnbc-office-says-hello.html

story?

Basically I am living in San Diego now. Bought tickets to the Chargers/Panthers game last season when they first came out. I was able to find out what hotel downtown the team was staying at and found out via twitter when the team landed on Friday night. I packed a bag with my Cam jersey and full size helmet to get it signed if the opportunity presented itself and headed to the hotel to get a room for the night and next day so I could potentially kick it with some of the players and get my gear autographed.

Around nine at night, I pulled my car up front to hand the keys over to the valet. As I was getting my bags and closing my trunk, I turned around to see Cam and Louis Murphy both get of a car with some shopping bags about 5 feet away from me. Before we even got into the hotel in the valet area I asked Cam if I could get a picture and that I had been a Panthers fan all my life. Louis Murphy gave some snide remark like "naw man" and Cam replied something along the lines of "Not right now, sorry".

As we entered the hotel, a bunch of 35-45 year old men swarmed Cam with duffle bags full of gear to sign in the lobby and he told them he wasn't signing tonight and probably put him in a bad mood as he had been traveling all day and probably just wanted to head to his room. I followed Cam and Louis up to the front desk to check in and get my own room for the evening. Cam looked at me and smiled and proceeded to check in. While we were all finishing up checking in, Joe Adams, Frank Alexander, Clausen, and Hardy strolled in and hung out in the lobby for little while. I took out my helmet from my bag for all of them to sign and everyone but Cam and Louis did so and they went straight to the elevator with the rest of their teammates. I got autographs from Joe Adams, Frank Alexander, Sione Fua, Ryan Kalil, DeAngelo Williams, Greg Hardy, Nate Chandler, Amini, Coach Rivera, and Byron Bell over the next 24 or so hours. Next morning I talked with Rivera for 10 minutes or so...really good guy. Was sitting a table over from Mr. Richardson and Danny Morrison but did not want to interrupt them.

All in all a great experience and glad I went to the hotel but it was disappointing to essentially have that great of an opportunity to get Cam's auto and picture and come up empty but oh well. I think the men with the duffle bags of gear ruined it. The rest of the guys could tell I was a true Panther fan because I addressed them all by name and usually talked about their college days.

Basically I am living in San Diego now. Bought tickets to the Chargers/Panthers game last season when they first came out. I was able to find out what hotel downtown the team was staying at and found out via twitter when the team landed on Friday night. I packed a bag with my Cam jersey and full size helmet to get it signed if the opportunity presented itself and headed to the hotel to get a room for the night and next day so I could potentially kick it with some of the players and get my gear autographed.

Around nine at night, I pulled my car up front to hand the keys over to the valet. As I was getting my bags and closing my trunk, I turned around to see Cam and Louis Murphy both get of a car with some shopping bags about 5 feet away from me. Before we even got into the hotel in the valet area I asked Cam if I could get a picture and that I had been a Panthers fan all my life. Louis Murphy gave some snide remark like "naw man" and Cam replied something along the lines of "Not right now, sorry".

As we entered the hotel, a bunch of 35-45 year old men swarmed Cam with duffle bags full of gear to sign in the lobby and he told them he wasn't signing tonight and probably put him in a bad mood as he had been traveling all day and probably just wanted to head to his room. I followed Cam and Louis up to the front desk to check in and get my own room for the evening. Cam looked at me and smiled and proceeded to check in. While we were all finishing up checking in, Joe Adams, Frank Alexander, Clausen, and Hardy strolled in and hung out in the lobby for little while. I took out my helmet from my bag for all of them to sign and everyone but Cam and Louis did so and they went straight to the elevator with the rest of their teammates. I got autographs from Joe Adams, Frank Alexander, Sione Fua, Ryan Kalil, DeAngelo Williams, Greg Hardy, Nate Chandler, Amini, Coach Rivera, and Byron Bell over the next 24 or so hours. Next morning I talked with Rivera for 10 minutes or so...really good guy. Was sitting a table over from Mr. Richardson and Danny Morrison but did not want to interrupt them.

All in all a great experience and glad I went to the hotel but it was disappointing to essentially have that great of an opportunity to get Cam's auto and picture and come up empty but oh well. I think the men with the duffle bags of gear ruined it. The rest of the guys could tell I was a true Panther fan because I addressed them all by name and usually talked about their college days.

Thats awesome. If I could choose to hang out with any athlete it would probably be Deangelo Williams, he seems like the most down to earth and un-entitled dude.

Louis fuggin Murphy.

Ha yeah I wanted to talk a little trash to him but he was a Panther at the time. I was gonna saying something along the lines of "You act like you're a superstar like Megatron or AJ Green off the field but are the opposite on the field."

Byron Bell was really personable as were both Frank Alexander and Joe Adams. I talked with them for a while just about college, the game on Sunday, and the Jordans they had on.

Greg Hardy I spoke with after the game before he got on the team bus and I explained how he dominated that game and we playfully argued over his stats. I told him I appreciate how involved he is with our fans on Twitter and he says he actually remembered a conversation we had a while back.

Rivera was the man. We talked about football, school, all sorts of things.

I hope you can scrub Fua's autograph off that helmet. Goof Off might do the trick.

Thats awesome. If I could choose to hang out with any athlete it would probably be Deangelo Williams, he seems like the most down to earth and un-entitled dude.

he used to go play bball all the time at the morrison Y.. he really is down to earth and didnt mind all the little kids with their flip camera phones snapping pics of him left and right.

Archived