• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Media reaction to Star Lotulelei

hzkvn43gvqn9x5adkd1e_normal.jpegKevinW_ESPN @Kevin Weidl

Kuechly 164 tackles as a rookie. Put Star in front of him and it's scary how good he can be in years to come.

Gregg Rosenthal

New Panthers general manager David Gettleman waited less than 30 seconds before sending in the card to draft his first pick since taking over in Carolina.Carolina has a promising defensive line now with Greg Hardy, Charles Johnson and Lotulelei taking three of the four spots.

This pick helps correct the error of 2011 when the Panthers reached for need by drafting Terrell McClain and Sione Fua in the third round. Lotulelei's selection was anything but a reach. He could prove to be a huge bargain.

Bucky Brooks@BuckyBrooks 1h

The @Panthers get a solid interior defender in Star Lotulelei. He could solidify the defensive front vs run.

ProFootballTalk@ProFootballTalk 1h

Panthers add Star Lotulelei to a suddenly solid defensive front seven

Keek gonna run free.

2013 NFL Draft Individual Grades:

14. Star Lotulelei, DT, Utah: A Grade

I think Sharrif Floyd would have been a better pick because A) he's a superior pass-rusher and B) he doesn't have any sort of health concerns. But this is still a great pick for the Panthers because they needed tons of help on the interior of their defensive line. Star Lotulelei would have gone in the top 10 if smarter teams were drafting there, so Carolina is reaping the benefits, much like other smarter teams will in the second half of the draft.

http://walterfootball.com/offseason2013car.php

Yeah I noticed just how fast they turned in the card when it was their turn to pick. Only team I saw to turn in the card anywhere near that fast. Gettleman knew who he wanted and he wasn't even going to bother waiting around for a trade offer either.

BUT BUT WHY DIDN'T WE TRY TO TRADE DOWN?!

The suddenly strong front seven, instantly upgrades the entire secondary.

Quick CB's will have opportunities now.

I'd say he improves the rush D.

Carolina already averaged the most pressures per defensive snap last year. He doesn't make that pass rush better.

We still desperately need talent in the secondary.

Archived