• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sam Mills, Reggie White, and Deacon Jones

O-Ther

Deacon Jones passed away this morning. Another great one has left us.

He was a man I admired for the way he carried himself. He played the game hard, but seemed to know when kindness was required off the field, similar to Sam Mills and Reggie White.

I don't know if there is something so inconsequential as football in Heaven, but I hope there is. Seeing Sam and Reggie lining up with Deacon would make me happy, not only as a fan, but because I would know I did something right to get admission to the game.

Deacon's death started a thought in my head about other players I admire not only for their playing ability, but how they live or lived their life. Besides the 3 mentioned above, I thought of 3 more.

3)Barry Sanders-humility

2)John Kasay-piety

1)Pat Tillman-sacrifice

What players do you admire and would you want your son to become a man like them?

Almost feel like I am bumping the thread.

Archie. He was the first real gutsy, too bad for him, QB of MY generation. Never heard him complain once. Dude did it the right way. Other than that, I don't want to play for you thingy, both his sons do it the right way.

That is a legacy you can hold your hat on.

That, and two older ladies at the bar I frequented said I looked like him. So that is probably the reason chicks dug me. Chicks don't so much dig me anymore, it is more disinterest than anything. Go ahead, ignore me, I am more of a watcher at this stage of the game anywho.

I'm going to go with a current Panther: Beason. 

Me and my family have interacted with this guy more times than I can count, and I've watched him interact with other fans more times than I can count, if he was a phony some cracks would have shown by now. 

I don't know what happened at the Uptown Cabaret, none of us do - but I'm a good person who has done some things I'm not proud of under difficult circumstances so who am I to judge anyone else (assuming there is any merit to what happened). 

What I can say is this guy treats fans like gold, when I've been at practice he's the guy that will sign everything and chat with fans along the fence. I was just there today and watched him shake everyone's hand with a smile. You can really see into someone's soul by watching them interact with children and this is where Beason really shines... he's interacted with my daughter several times. The first time I asked if we could get a picture and he said sure, before I knew it he was hoisting her up onto the railing so she could get closer. 

always wonder, how would Reggie White be viewed if be played in today's era?  

The Golden Calf of Bristol or White....who was more in your face with their religion? I would probably say White.

Never heard of Deac being a gentleman, but he does have some ties to the Carolinas.

I'm in a keeper league with 10 dudes and this will be our sixth year. Every year, the email sent out, AS WELL as the slogan on our league page has a Deacon Jones quote.

"When I see guys huddling up to pray after the game, that's what scares me about the game today. I'm a baptist, but I'm also a quarterback killer, and I ain't praying with you. But I will give you 10 seconds for you to ask your lord and master to keep me from killing you."

always wonder, how would Reggie White be viewed if be played in today's era?  

The Golden Calf of Bristol or White....who was more in your face with their religion? I would probably say White.

note how it's commonly observed that a guy like chris kluwe should "shut the hell up and play football" but white is considered a class act.

Archived