• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Begin Head Coach Search?

carp24000

I'm going to say that a candidate leaked it, and I'll also say that said candidate was not actually in the running for the head coach job and is assuming that he was, because coaches that get feelers from the NFL for head jobs aren't stupid enough to leak it and our FO is not the kind that does that.

The thing about Rivera that bothers me is the thing I liked most about him in the beginning--his press conferences.

Just this year, he compared AJ Klein to Luke Keuchly.  Last week, he likened (indirectly) Sproles to Barner. 

I hate that he spews statistics such as the team's mathematical method for grading players and does not play the odds during games.  If you have an 80% chance to win a game on 4th down, especially if not getting the first down means the other team is likely to play for a tie--you take that chance.  Don't sit there and tell me that Hardy had a good game because he was a factor in 1/3.44 plays per game and the norm for DE's is 7.3.  If you understand numbers, then play the odds and do the math.

• Pie 1

The thing about Rivera that bothers me is the thing I liked most about him in the beginning--his press conferences.

Just this year, he compared AJ Klein to Luke Keuchly. Last week, he likened (indirectly) Sproles to Barner.

I hate that he spews statistics such as the team's mathematical method for grading players and does not play the odds during games. If you have an 80% chance to win a game on 4th down, especially if not getting the first down means the other team is likely to play for a tie--you take that chance. Don't sit there and tell me that Hardy had a good game because he was a factor in 1/3.44 plays per game and the norm for DE's is 7.3. If you understand numbers, then play the odds and do the math.

I hate to break it to you, but a lot of Rivera's decisions late in games are favored mathematically. We have shitty luck.

• Pie 1

"One coach knows they're interested". Sounds like more than a background check. Or, they called someone for the check then that person let it slip to the candidate. Not sure.

Read the full context...

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet 6m

Sources: #Panthers have begun laying groundwork for a possible coaching search, doing background checks on candidates. 1 candidate knows.

Per the source, background checks only.  The candidate 'knowing' doesn't imply contact.

• Pie 1

I'm going to say that a candidate leaked it, and I'll also say that said candidate was not actually in the running for the head coach job and is assuming that he was, because coaches that get feelers from the NFL for head jobs aren't stupid enough to leak it and our FO is not the kind that does that.

Very possible.

Two things I am away from this, both are assumptions.

This was no leaked on our side. And certainly not one of the coaches either. Most likely agents running their mouths.

Also I view this as due diligence so that in case there is a coaching change we will hit the ground running to try and get our guy locked up before competition increases.

Not necessarily that a firing is imminent. But to be able to act swiftly if we do fire Rivera.

• Pie 1

Actually it makes perfect sense.

These guys are making career decisions.  Who the head coach ia has a pretty big effect on that career.

I think it's more accurate to say the Panthers have been tight-lipped under Richardson.

Either way, Gettleman doesn't strike me as the type to work through an intermediary.  I'd say if he wants to tell you something, he'll just tell you himself.

Agree, but he's not gonna stand up in front of the whole team and tell them it's Rivera's ass if they don't win. 

I think Rivera will be gone at the end of the year but this is bull$@@t that this was leaked.

I can't imagine JR is cool with this. Regardless of how you feel about Rivera and his future, this is the epitome of unprofessional.

Rivera knows the expectations regarding his job. There is no need to embarrass the man or his family.