• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Competency Trumps Continuity

Zod

To answer your question directly, this is Rivera's last year on his contract. Clearly if things didn't go well he wouldn't be retained. When a new coach comes in he brings in his own coordinators/staff.  Therefore, whichever OC was interviewed, he would look at it as only a one year deal, possibly, and then look elsewhere for a long-term deal. No wonder Panthers got turned down by everyone and went with the "oh its for continuity lets promote shula" thing. 

Oh ok thanks man. That makes sense

To answer your question directly, this is Rivera's last year on his contract. Clearly if things didn't go well he wouldn't be retained. When a new coach comes in he brings in his own coordinators/staff.  Therefore, whichever OC was interviewed, he would look at it as only a one year deal, possibly, and then look elsewhere for a long-term deal. No wonder Panthers got turned down by everyone and went with the "oh its for continuity lets promote shula" thing. 

wut

Morrison said Rivera received a four-year deal with no option year. The deal is worth $11.2 million over the length of the contract, a source close to the situation told ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen. Fox's last deal paid him more than $6 million this season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6011884

There's just one problem with the argument that no one but Shula wanted to work for a lame duck coach. Hue Jackson, for one, said he would have gladly accepted the job but it wasn't offered.

So no, that is not an excuse for Rivera. He could have had Jackson but chose Shula instead. He has to live with that decision.

• Pie 1

he is who i feared he would be.

it's just a shame the players can't execute perfectly, which apparently is needed for shula´s offense to work cause even just one mistake throws everything off and they can never adjust the offense to get back on track.

it's also a shame that opposing defenses adapt to what we do because that just hurts our set in stone gameplan. i mean what's a team to do? adapt and adjust mid game to do something that works? who does that?

I wouldn't say our players need perfect execution.....they are shooting our offense in the foot. All the self inflected poor play then leaves little room for error.

The shula promotion is just one more example of a long line of half-assed decisions made by this franchise. We're never going to be winners until we get serious about winning. And it starts at the very top with JR and his slow sense of urgency. Now we've basically wasted a year with Ron Rivera when we could've, at the very least had a new coach with potential cutting his teeth.

Where did it mention dumbing down the offense?

As I mentioned earlier, dumbing down is a well know phrase that I used. 

The articles talk about not bringing in a new offense to learn, taking the difficult language out of our present offsense, making it simpler to call and run, and not running things that Cam does not like.  You can see the read offense has gone away for the most part, thankfully, cause we cannot run it effectively

Defenses do this also as many guys want less gimmicks and fewer sets.

Bottom line is, we are running a simpler offense than what Chud had and all the players were on board with it, especially Cam

So, to say we should have went with a new coordinator and new offense is just like everything else here, blame for our inability to execute.  Our Oline would be better in a totally new offense?  Our WR's not drop balls in a new offense?  Cam make better reads in a new offense?  His footwork heal itself in a new offense?

As I mentioned earlier, dumbing down is a well know phrase that I used.

The articles talk about not bringing in a new offense to learn, taking the difficult language out of our present offsense, making it simpler to call and run, and not running things that Cam does not like. You can see the read offense has gone away for the most part, thankfully, cause we cannot run it effectively

Defenses do this also as many guys want less gimmicks and fewer sets.

Bottom line is, we are running a simpler offense than what Chud had and all the players were on board with it, especially Cam

So, to say we should have went with a new coordinator and new offense is just like everything else here, blame for our inability to execute. Our Oline would be better in a totally new offense? Our WR's not drop balls in a new offense? Cam make better reads in a new offense? His footwork heal itself in a new offense?

We aren't running a simpler offense....running the same offense.

Calling it with a simpler language.

Shula should've stayed at QB coach. That's his niche in the NFL. Not running an offense or an entire team, as his past struggles can confirm.

Bingo, and thats not a bad thing. Great QB coaches are hard to come by.

The skill set for a QB coach and a good OC are vastly different. Shula fits one of the job descriptions, not the other.

The real reason for the Shula hire, as xerxes mentioned, is what quality OC wanted to take a one year deal to coach under what is essentially a head coach on a one year deal? Gettleman and JR were only interested in hiring an OC to a one year contract. What kind of message does that send?

Exactly. What coach would want to uproot his family and move to a situation with an unproven HC and QB knowing it would more than likely only be a 1 year deal. 

Exactly. What coach would want to uproot his family and move to a situation with an unproven HC and QB knowing it would more than likely only be a 1 year deal. 

Tons of coaches wanting a shot to audition themselves as an OC.

This is such an invalid argument. Any time a coordinator position opens up, there are tons of people interested. The problem is the panthers were very focused in their search, mainly loser retreads. How about giving a young upstart a chance.

• Pie 2

Shula should've stayed at QB coach. That's his niche in the NFL. Not running an offense or an entire team, as his past struggles can confirm.

that's what i was saying.

i think he did well as a QB coach. he was proven there. he was successful.

as someone who manages a game and calls the plays....proven failure.

you look at the path this team is on statisically for the season and where we are ranked in the league right now and then compare it to shula's previous tenure's calling an offense and you see the same thing.

funny, you see the same excuses being thrown out implying that it's always someone else's fault.

sorry, but i don't buy it. i see one common denominator...shula. he leaves, and the offense gets better. he arrives and the offense steps backward.

not everyone who excels at their job is suited for advancement. shula and rivera both show that to be true. neither should have advanced because neither can handle the bigger job. they were just fine where they were.

• Pie 1

The only person that should be taking a beatdown in this thread is Jerry Richardson.

If you pay attention to football enough, you knew that this new GM, old coach, shitty OC hire had very little chance of working out.

DG want's his crew, but JR stood in the way, being too cheap to pay a coach to not coach for two seasons.

ALL of Hurney's bullshit needs to be cleaned out of this franchise, including RR and his staff.

Only players that need to stay are Cam, Smith, Kalil, the D-Line minus Kraken, Keek, and Amini, the rest I don't care about.  Would like to see Ginn back as well on a cheap deal.

Should have blown this up in 2010, should have blown this up in 2012, instead we can just keep on fuging around with rebuilding, and not actually rebuild.