• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Mike Tanier Picks Panthers, Writes Poetically About Smitty.

Stroupe-a-loop

It'd be bitterweet, for sure.

But if he's going to retire, having it come in an offseason when there's a very deep receiver draft would be good timing.

And I'd add there should be about a 50 page 'thank you' thread posted here the day it happens, regardless of when.

Wonder if we win it all,Smitty would retire?

I would hope he does.  I would love nothing more than to see Smitty go out in a blaze of glory.  Winning the Superbowl, getting a Superbowl MVP.  What a fitting end to a great player's career.

Wonder if we win it all,Smitty would retire?

I don't think so. If we are a Super Bowl caliber team now, imagine how good we will be next season. We are getting a WR who can play, we will fix the o-line. The defense will remain stout.  He'll have more opportunities in the slot and to expand his playoffs resume.

I know he wants to go out a baller and not a guy who's hung around too long but I think he can play for 1-2 more years.

Awesome find OP.  Love the Pearl Jam reference.  

Yeah, Tanier does great writing. Fun references inside and outside of football. He really gets into advanced stats and film study, but he also really likes the goofy and emotional stuff. I'm a fan of the dude since his time on Footballoutsiders. He's probably the only football writing I still read besides Kissingsuzykolber, and that is just silly, funny stuff.

It'd be bitterweet, for sure.

But if he's going to retire, having it come in an offseason when there's a very deep receiver draft would be good timing.

And I'd add there should be about a 50 page 'thank you' thread posted here the day it happens, regardless of when.

That thread would have to be longer than 50 pages. Smitty is the biggest reason a lot of people became panther fans, including me. He is an inspiration to everyone who is told that they can't do something for any reason. There's going to be a lot of emotion when he retires.

Archived