• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

"True Detective" HBO Premier

Anybodyhome

I hate to try and say how good a show is because it just builds it up and then people get let down.

But holy shit the last 20 minutes....

Exactly. Part of the joy to me was how unexpected that lead up/climax was. I was watching on my iPad (with headphones ftw) and kept tapping the screen to see how much time was left, hoping they would get into something crazy before the end.

I can't imagine how intense these last four episodes are going to be. That episode set a crazy high bar.

Exactly. Part of the joy to me was how unexpected that lead up/climax was. I was watching on my iPad (with headphones ftw) and kept tapping the screen to see how much time was left, hoping they would get into something crazy before the end.

I can't imagine how intense these last four episodes are going to be. That episode set a crazy high bar.

Yeah your comments on the director are spot on.

The imagery and cinematography are amazing.

The fact that my redneck ass notices something like cinematography means they are doing something right, 

Idk, I think Harrelson is killing it in his own right. When it comes to the distraught narcissist trying to get his family back, his perfromance is pretty powerful. The hospital confrontation was really strong.

And as others have said, I've studied film and I got so enveloped in that last scene that I didnt even realize it was a continuous tracking shot. I was on the edge of my seat when the shadows started showing up through all the windows and he had to make a decision.... intense!

It just seems to me he's spent half of the last two episodes with this look on his face trying to be a bad ass.

post-36-0-03073300-1392187202_thumb.jpg

Yeah, but he gives up the entire badass facade when they're in the apartment and Cohle tells him they're doing this without any backup and going in alone.

The only few minutes of the episode I thought strayed was when Hart got impatient outside the biker's club and tried to get inside. That created some tension, but it was pretty lame compared to the rest of what's happened.

Came across this essential supplemental reading for everyone...  I don't know how many of you are Robert Chambers afficianados, but I am not, and odds are, you aren't either.  So read this.  YOU HAVE TO READ THIS.  It definitely provides some deeper context as to what is going on in the show and gives you some stuff to think about as far as the characters are concerned:

http://io9.com/the-one-literary-reference-you-must-know-to-appreciate-1523076497

The King in Yellow is a fictional play within a collection of short stories—a metafictional dramatic work that brings despair, depravity, and insanity to anyone who reads it or sees it performed. Chambers inserts only a few selected scenes from the play into his story collection, and all of them are from the first act. This act, we are told, is a bit of a honeypot, luring readers into the cursed text. If they read even the first few words of Act II they are driven insane by the revelation of horrible, decadent, incomprehensible truths about the universe.

...more...

In considering the Chambers allusions, I wonder what Rust was exposed to that led him to this "insane" state he's in?

I wondered last night if he was in on it and perpetrating some of the murders, or at least perpetuating things to work in his favor, but after reading about the Yellow King stuff, I'm wondering if he just followed all of it down as far as he could, most likely in 2002, and then realized he couldn't stop it because of how far up it went and he "went crazy."

Nice article from Shane Ryan about last night's episode and many of the potential theories he or others share.

http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2014/02/true-detective-review-the-secret-fate-of-all-life.html

One of the theories that I find interesting is Hart being the Yellow King. It's too extreme of a conclusion to draw at present IMO, but anything seems plausible at this point. 

Archived