• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I hope DG is learning from Loomis.

unicar15

Graham's contract situation is exactly why we should consider trying to get one of the top 2 TEs in this draft. I think there could be a possibility there if we end up trading Hardy for a 1st round pick. Even without it though...I'd say that if Sefarian-Jenkins or Ebron is there at 28 they'd be BPA and I'd have no problem taking either. Cheap, effective, big targets for Cam which is exactly what he needs.

I want a 2 TE based offense again. Cam flourished in that offense. Then all we'd need really is a true #1 WR. We already have a slew of guys who can play #2. Hakeem Nicks? A few O-Lineman later and we have a top 10 offense on our hands gentleman. Coupled with our top 10 defense we will make serious noise in the NFC.

I agree on wanting to move back to a 2 TE offense, when we let Shockey go and brought in Tolbert the idea was that Tolbert would take over the roll of that 2nd TE and also be a running threat (think H-back). We've since moved to a much more traditional offense under Shula where Tolbert plays a classic FB role.

There was subsequent discussion about how Hartsock could be more of a weapon in the passing game and Brandon Williams is still an interesting prospect, but now that we've seen we have the personnel on hand to win 12 games and earn a 2nd seed in the playoffs the time for experimenting and waiting for fringe players to develop at key positions is over. 

Having said that, in our current offensive scheme I wouldn't classify TE as a need over a WR, OL or DB so I wouldn't want to see us use our 28th pick on a TE unless there was a TE the board with a grade that made him BPA by a large margin over any available WR, OL or DB, but I don't think that will be the case. 

Why does some of you guys always think the only way to get a good player is to draft him in the first round?  Witten was not a first round pick.  Thomas out in Denver was like a 5th. 

This is not a really good year for TE anyway, but every time some of you guys see a good TE projected to go in the first round you want to take him.  I don't get it.  There are 7 rounds in the draft for a reason.  If you take a guy on offense in the first you expect him to come in and play 40 or 50 snaps a game.  More if he is a lineman.  No way could a TE come in and do that in this offense.  Unless you just want to take Olsen off the field for half the snaps.  Maybe I am the one that is missing it but unless Shula wants to go back to a 2 TE offense and take Tolbert off the field most of the time I don't get why you think there is such a pressing need there. 

Why does some of you guys always think the only way to get a good player is to draft him in the first round? Witten was not a first round pick. Thomas out in Denver was like a 5th.

This is not a really good year for TE anyway, but every time some of you guys see a good TE projected to go in the first round you want to take him. I don't get it. There are 7 rounds in the draft for a reason. If you take a guy on offense in the first you expect him to come in and play 40 or 50 snaps a game. More if he is a lineman. No way could a TE come in and do that in this offense. Unless you just want to take Olsen off the field for half the snaps. Maybe I am the one that is missing it but unless Shula wants to go back to a 2 TE offense and take Tolbert off the field most of the time I don't get why you think there is such a pressing need there.

Get what you're saying. If people think Amaro will be there in the 2nd or there is a guy there in the 3rd I'm fine with that too. But we need someone who can play right away. We don't need to wait on guys to develop. Another TE (any round) and Nicks would be ideal for the offseason IMO.

I hope he doesn't learn how to be a GM by letting your best offensive weapon hit free agency, forcing you to franchise tag him, while potentially changing the entire NFL landscape based on the outcome of the arbitration on whether or not that player should be tagged as a tight end or wide receiver.

Not a good way to go about things.

Archived