• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Steve Smith on Gettleman's "Evaluation" comment

Johnny Rockets

Said it elsewhere: Everyone loves having a GM with big balls...until he cuts your favorite player.

Jerry Rice, Joe Montana, Brett Favre and Peyton Manning all wound up let go from the teams they'd given their best years to.

So yes, much as we'd all hate it, that could happen here as well.

I doubt this will be a big deal, more like secondhand information getting kicked around. Gettleman's not aware of how Smith's feelings are handled and will likely clear things with a phone call.

It'll work itself out, and if not, then we'll know the mantle has officially been passed to Cam. Which I'm fine with: he's the future.

I doubt this will be a big deal, more like secondhand information getting kicked around. Gettleman's not aware of how Smith's feelings are handled and will likely clear things with a phone call.

It'll work itself out, and if not, then we'll know the mantle has officially been passed to Cam. Which I'm fine with: he's the future.

This.

IIRC, all Gettleman said was that he is evaluating EVERY SINGLE PLAYER. 

That is how he is running the ship. It gives every player, the Byron Bells and the Luke Kuechlys, a sense that they must always stay at the top of their game.

Now off the record, he would probably say "WTF you think we would let go of the only guy that has any resemblance of a #1 WR?".

I love Steve Smith, he has given me some of the best Panther memories ever. But I said this yesterday and it rings true today and moving forward...

"Nostalgia has killed this team in the past"

I think Steve plays this year, and I think some of those comments were taken to be more than they really are BUT it wouldn't shock me to learn he was let go/retired. If I had to choose between Smith and G-Man I choose G-Man. Steve is one of the greatest if not the greatest Panthers of all time and he will be remembered that way. But he is not going to be a big part of this team in the years to come and that is what Getts is doing right now. Setting this team up to be successful in the years to come.

Yes we will lose his leadership but its Luke's and Cam's time. At some point guys you have to pass the torch.

I was worried when this first came up, but Rivera gave an interview that said specifically, "we are evaluating everyone, and Steve Smith is a part of what we are doing moving forward." I think the media has gotten very savvy at creating drama for more site clicks. It used to be that they reported the news and that was that, now they fill it with assumptions and conjecture to get people riled up (more clicks), then release a story about how all is tense in the organization (more clicks), then all is well now (more clicks), and the public gets left with a pre-determined POV of the parties involved and that is then your iron-clad view of the situation for all time moving forward.

Just look at the whole Harbaugh trade thing, or even our own Cam Newton. How many people do you know that hate Cam Newton because a pre-conceived notion of being a poo head after seeing like one post game interview where he was pissed and then just letting that bias be confirmed by what the twats on Sportscenter say.

I used to give my wife a hard time for watching basketball wives and real housewives and all that crap, but the way sports programming or radio has become, is the stuff I watch or listen too much different anymore?

Not really.

Hopefully like said before, it is a misunderstanding. Ouotes can be taking out out context by the media as well all know. I want Smitty to be able to leave on his own accord. I understand it is a business but let the man finish out his contract. He gives so much heart to this organization and has been here through the good times and bad. He is literally my favorite player to ever put on a uniform. I hope everyone is wrong and that he will finish is career here without any second thoughts.

Maybe, but I would not be too confident. I dont believe that Smitty will go play for another team if we were to cut him or whatever. Smitty was the one preaching about retirement a couple years back.

Smitty was talking about retirement when he was pissed off about playing with Jimmy Clausen.  He doesn't think he's done.  I really can't see him even considering retiring, even if he's asked to take a pay cut.  

It's ridiculous he'd be treated this way - he's a team captain and the best player in team history. He at least needs a heads-up on this.

Agree totally. If Steve fugging Smith can be given the business like this, well.....it's reality but I don't like it. At all.

You have to remember this isn't the Hurney special treatment for long time players anymore.  Gettleman is here to change the Panthers into a winning team, and will evaluate every single person on that team.  This is just like any other business, don't get friendly with the bosses and not be ready to get the axe if you can't perform when needed, even if your a vet or a long time panther.

With that being said, there is no way possible that Smitty wouldn't be on this team next year, Gettleman put it out to the public more so that its well known to EVERYONE that he is expecting everyone to be accountable.  

Let me ask you all this, would you rather us have the repeated history we have now, or have repeated success like the Patriots (my blood boils typing that) do, with the 'next man up' mentality?  It has seemed to work out very well for them in the past 10 years overall, with the Superbowl wins and consistent playoff births. 

Archived