• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Steve Smith on Gettleman's "Evaluation" comment

Johnny Rockets

My favorite player of all time, but 89 cannot play anymore. He's making too much money for his production. It's a young man's game and Smitty isnt very young now. I dont believe Smitty will even reach 600 yards next season. Either take a pay cut or gotta start looking toward the future.

I disagree, he will have a 1,000yds season long as there is no injuries.

Gettleman is certainly a heartless bastard, but one whom I hope can have a late-in-The-Grinch-movie moment of clarity and give Cam a contract extension that he'll sign.

As far as this goes, I'm pissed. I've been mad at 89 several times in the past but Steve Smith IS the Carolina Panthers. He is the embodiment of our franchise: small but with a chip on his shoulder and the belief that no one can take him down, even when the odds are against him.

Fix this issue, Dave. 89 needs to stay.

Fug Gettleman.

If the people running this crappy franchise even had a few brain cells they would have got a franchise WR a couple years ago and Smitty could've been moved to the slot where he could still perform at a high level.

What this organization is asking Smitty to do at his age isn't fair to him.

No f-bombs from lovely ladies, please.  

She will cut you.

What EXACTLY did Gman say?  Anybody got the quote...

Monsta quoted Rivera...

Smith isn't going anywhere... not this year anyway...  I'm not saying that they shouldn't evaluate everyone, they should, every year... coaches and staff included.  It's a business.

Sounds like they just had a little communications lapse that the media/social media blew up...

I dont see the issue. I mean, we give Gman props for being a businessman and shooting straight, but at the same time people are acting like he should put that "business" persona aside and say that "89 is beyond evaluation because..well...he is sentimental to the organization"

Like everyone, I love me some SS. With that said, why should his performance not be evaluated like everyone elses?

I think he deserves more than the average guy based on his tenure with the team.I am not saying he is beyond evaluation but is due the respect of a heads-up if he is being released. Having said that I doubt that is the case.

If Gettleman wasn't our gm and Hurney still was, we'd be over the cap by 10 million probably and with 21 people needing to be signed

Somebody ask smith if he'd rather be in that situation and have Hurney coming up to him saying "uh listen hey sorry guy but because I signed a bunch of guys that don't see the field or suck to some stupid extensions we have no money and I'm just going to have to let you go for some relief"

I'm sure that if Gettleman was really on the verge of cutting Smith he would pick of the phone and call Smitty... I think this whole thing is getting blown way out of proportion. 

I agree. ..every word out of G-Mans mouth is being analyzed as though he is a prophet.

I gut feeling he is here next year, but it's obvious Steve feels a bit disrespected and both sides have some work to do if he is staying and that may not be up to him.

I get the gut feeling that he is gone.  If you look at the numbers vs. the production, Gettlemen is going to do what he has to do.  We did not see this coming because he is our best WR and we have nobody left on the roster.  However, if you remember the comments about King and McNutt, about "all good teams have to let good players go...", etc.  Smitty seems to me that he is reading the writing on the wall.

I noticed the past tense thing too, and I was under the impression that everything they were saying was already common knowledge to Smitty.  I don't thiink the Panthers owe an explanation to Smitty and all Gettlemen stated was that he has been a great player and he is part of the evaluation process, but Smitty's reaction tells me, as you say, where there is smoke. there is fire.

Archived