• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panther's Cap at $19-$21M not $29M

PantherFeez

I sure wouldn't bet against it. He gets paid to know. I bet he doesn't care whether anyone else knows the correct numbers or not either, unless he needs a particular player's agent to be clued in.

I'm sure Gettleman doesn't care if the media knows how much cap room the Panthers have.  It's a positive thing that players and other teams don't know how much money you have to spend.  He's a shrewd businessman - something the Panthers have needed for a long time.  Won't overpay players and has a good eye for new talent.

From the same guy that has been right all along on Panthers cap number:

The Panthers are following a similar model with their players at this stage using the voidable contract year for the sake of short term cap compliance. It’s a similar method used (or maybe abused is the better word) by the Dallas Cowboys, Washington Redskins and, in the past, the Oakland Raiders. The Panthers will need to bank on large salary cap increases in the future to offset the additional dead money or lack of contract leverage they will have with these players.

[...]

Carolina arguably has the worst salary cap outlook of any team in the NFL moving forward. The team has around $102 million committed to the 2015 salary cap with just 29 players under contract. Those players do not include QB Cam Newton or DE Greg Hardy, two mega ticket items. Newton will either be playing on the transition tag number or on a contract that pays in the $16-$18 million a year vicinity. Hardy will be one of the highest paid defensive ends in the NFL. So this restructuring of deals is a juggling act the team will likely have to continue to do next season if they keep both players.

So stop acting like these restructures are the best thing ever. It's simple math, converting non-guaranteed money to guaranteed money is good for the player and bad for the franchise. I don't care how much cap it frees on the current year, it ends up bitting your ass (like the Cowboys who we all agree have an awful GM).

I'm hopeful Gettleman doesn't want to do this every year, if that's the case he will let Hardy walk. If he's doing these moves just to franchise/re-sign Hardy then he's doing the same exact poo Hurney did to save face, only difference is Hurney couldn't hit a draft pick after the 1st round to save his life nor he could sign cheap talent if FA.

We're in such cap hell that it'll be a tough juggling act when drafting. We're in a position that you almost have to draft for need over BPA.

Obviously you try an bring in FA's in certain positions to set yourself up to be able to take BPA but that won't be easy.

I expect to see lots of new faces each season.

From the same guy that has been right all along on Panthers cap number:

So stop acting like these restructures are the best thing ever. It's simple math, converting non-guaranteed money to guaranteed money is good for the player and bad for the franchise. I don't care how much cap it frees on the current year, it ends up bitting your ass (like the Cowboys who we all agree have an awful GM).

I'm hopeful Gettleman doesn't want to do this every year, if that's the case he will let Hardy walk. If he's doing these moves just to franchise/re-sign Hardy then he's doing the same exact poo Hurney did to save face, only difference is Hurney couldn't hit a draft pick after the 1st round to save his life nor he could sign cheap talent if FA.

Except you need pass rushers you dont need 2 highly paid rbs because the position isnt what it used to be. That is ultimately what got hurney fired and also like you said he couldn't hit a draft pick passed the first round and would even mortgage the future on a player and still miss. Gettlemans hands are tied thats why your seeing all the comments about steve smith if he was cut we'd be making quite a bit of cap room im pretty sure (not a fan of this though) and all the restructuring he has to do something and he certainly cant just stay at status quo. I trust the gman knows what hes doing

I'd suggest you take your own advice. These restructures are going to save our butts short-term wise. Yes, eventually they're going to catch up and bite us in the ass. However, keep in mind how The Giants operate. Guys like D-Will, CJ, J-Stew, Smitty, and TD will be long gone in 2-3 years. G-Man is already planning on a future without them and there are loopholes.

Why would you give more guaranteed money to people you intend to cut in 2 years? that doesn't look like smart business to me.

I agree Gettleman has to do these moves, it's the only thing you can do (the alternative would be to give the season away and eat all the bad contract this year), but you have to be selective: Kalil was a smart move because he's still young (for a OL) and is a core player but why do it with Stewart and Davis? Both old and/or injury prone.

CJ would be a smarter move (still 27), Olsen as well. Tolbert could be another option only if the staff starts to give him more than 6 touches per game.

Why would you give more guaranteed money to people you intend to cut in 2 years? that doesn't look like smart business to me.

I agree Gettleman has to do these moves, it's the only thing you can do (the alternative would be to give the season away and eat all the bad contract this year), but you have to be selective: Kalil was a smart move because he's still young (for a OL) and is a core player but why do it with Stewart and Davis? Both old and/or injury prone.

CJ would be a smarter move (still 27), Olsen as well. Tolbert could be another option only if the staff starts to give him more than 6 touches per game.

If you are referring to Stew, the bonus he just received was scheduled to happen this off season (via his 2012 extension details on spotrac). This isn't some out of the blue move. If they didn't give him this new bonus this year, his salary would have spiked to around $8M all of it being fully guaranteed (would have added $6.2 to this year's cap)

The only new thing to happen to Stew's money was they took 750k and converted it to guaranteed money spread across his new bonus. That isn't a whole lot, and no one should get upset over such a small move. Be mad at Hurney and JR for extending Stew to so much guaranteed money in the first place; DG is only on the hook for 750k of it

As far as 2015 goes clearly we are not going to pay 120 million to 29 players, anyone knows that.  As each year ticks by those high guaranteed money contracts will be easier to dump as the dead cap money goes down.  For example next year Smith's dead money goes down 3 million from 9 to 6.  Johnson goes down from 16 million this year to 6 next year.  Williams goes down from 9.6 million to 6.4 and so forth.  We all have to face the fact that next year several players that are very popular and productive will be gone unless they restructure their contracts.  Smith and Johnson are 2 of them.  Stewart is smart enough to restructure knowing that even in 2015 his dead cap space is a ridiculous 12 million.

Archived