• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

USA Today: Five reasons to believe in the Carolina Panthers

GRWatcher

demonstrate a causal relationship between rivera's situational playcalling philosophy in 2013 and our offensive woes

we'll wait

How do you mean?

His transformation or whatever you want to call it applied only to very high leverage situations where they were mathematically the right move. No one is criticizing him for that.

To imply this indicates his entire offensive philosophy has changed when he had one of the least talented hacks in the NFL calling plays for 99% of the game is just silly. 

I mean I guess you can think that now for some reason Shula's playcalling is going to change when it's been the same bland crap everywhere he's ever been but there's no reason to think so. That goes back to the head coach, and it'd be a shame to waste such a great defense and QB on the biggest case of nepotism in the nfl outside of like maybe Brian Schottenheimer.

How do you mean?

His transformation or whatever you want to call it applied only to very high leverage situations where they were mathematically the right move. No one is criticizing him for that.

To imply this indicates his entire offensive philosophy has changed when he had one of the least talented hacks in the NFL calling plays for 99% of the game is just silly. 

I mean I guess you can think that now for some reason Shula's playcalling is going to change when it's been the same bland crap everywhere he's ever been but there's no reason to think so. That goes back to the head coach, and it'd be a shame to waste such a great defense and QB on the biggest case of nepotism in the nfl outside of like maybe Brian Schottenheimer.

entire offensive philosophy? no, but if he was adversely affected the offensive by his own philosophy we would expect to see a horrible offense in 2011 and 2012… but we didn't. this leaves two possibilities: mike shula and personnel. i think you can make a case for both, but i'm not sure how much of that you can lump on rivera, especially if it's more personnel than mike shula.

and anyway changing the way you call plays situationally is the definition of a change in coaching philosophy. rivera is making mathematically the right move in high leverage situations where most coaches would just opt for something conservative (which is a proxy suggestion that 31 other coaches generally ignore mathematical logic.) if this is the case i don't see how you can define these actions as anything other than an indication of philosophy change.

what does getting stomped at home in the playoffs do?

How about, make them play smarter? Play with a chip on their collective shoulders?

Or better yet: study the friggin tape so it never ever ever happens again. Because they know they're better than that.

I really hate the faith put in Ron Rivera. People think he changed his philosophy or something which frankly isn't true. Someone just showed him some relative value chart of going for it on 4th, or going for TDs deep in opposing territories, etc. These things aren't daring or innovative; they're logical. 

And even if he's changed on 3-4 plays a game, he's still letting shula call the most horseshit offense in the NFL for the rest of them. 

I hope they implode this year and they bring in Gus Malzahn. 

even if shula bombs this year I think they have their new oc already on the team in Ramsdell.

Archived