• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What can we realistically do this offseason to protect Cam?

TheRumGone

Sanchez was able to step up into the pocket to buy time. Cam has a bad habit of running outside the pocket once the edge rush gets to him, which leads to another issue of dropping back so far so quickly. Maybe he assumes the pocket will collapse every play but thats a mental issue he has to get over. But we have one of the worst guards in Amini and the most over rated center in Kalil that havent helped him either. The system is flawed for sure, but these guys aren't capable of running any system at this rate.

You keep using that word "pocket" like you know what it means or like it exists.

There is no pocket for Cam to step into!

Sanchez was able to step up into the pocket to buy time. Cam has a bad habit of running outside the pocket once the edge rush gets to him, which leads to another issue of dropping back so far so quickly. Maybe he assumes the pocket will collapse every play but thats a mental issue he has to get over. But we have one of the worst guards in Amini and the most over rated center in Kalil that havent helped him either. The system is flawed for sure, but these guys aren't capable of running any system at this rate. 

Did you not see what happend when he stepped up in the first few game. He was getting crushed by DTs all day long. Would you rather get hit by a 200 or 300 pound man. Thats the big question and thats not mental its just a fact. We have no protection to give Cam, and the smart ones on this board knew we were heading down this path.

Putting veterans beside our RG and future rookie LT would go a long way, I think.  That's why I say FA for RT and LG.

We need a veteran LT and we're gonna have to shell out the dough for one. Turner doesn't need a vet on the right side with Kalil in the middle. And a drafted RT wouldn't need a vet to do twice as good as Bell.

I don't think Cam needed to assume the pocket would collapse every play, because it was actually happening.  He merely had to recognize the pocket collapsing every play.  But your point is valid, looping out to keep the run open as an option has been a tendency of Cam's since he's been here.  It's why he's been able to have so many highlight reel amazing plays in the past, often times converting 3rd and longs with his legs.  I think that needs to be coached out of him and pretty much all designed runs for him need to be thrown out the window.  Let him take off if the defense gives it to him, but he can absolutely be a pure pocket passer if he has a pocket.  Once he has a real OL, focus on weaning the team off of relying on Cam running.

Did you not see what happend when he stepped up in the first few game. He was getting crushed by DTs all day long. Would you rather get hit by a 200 or 300 pound man. Thats the big question and thats not mental its just a fact. We have no protection to give Cam, and the smart ones on this board knew we were heading down this path.

This^

We need a veteran LT and we're gonna have to shell out the dough for one. Turner doesn't need a vet on the right side with Kalil in the middle. And a drafted RT wouldn't need a vet to do twice as good as Bell.

thats how i see it. draft a T and start him on the right side with hopes he can grow into the LT spot while picking up a vet who can handle the blind side. I'd be okay with Norwell, Kalil and Turner in the middle. Next is get another big WR early in the draft, a potential game-changer like Cooper.

Value would be better to draft LT, sign RT.  Any FA LT we sign is either going to be on his last legs or entirely out of our budget.

There are far too many issues that can possibly be fixed in one off season that perhaps the best thing the franchise could do for Cam is release him.

Sorry for the one-liner, but the seemingly endless list of needs for this team extend far beyond a single off-season and are not all cap-related. 

Time to stop using the cap, Marty Hurney, Ron Rivera and Shula and everyone else as a stand-alone excuse. The entire organization is a broken, dysfunctional embarrassment that seems to have no direction, no identity and no plan in place or even a willingness to put a quality product on the field. 

oh.

i don't know specifics. just get a couple vets to help out on the line. we need talent and experience. drafting is a good idea, but not ifthe plan is to draft two guys you plan on starting and stick them on an already inexperienced line. rookie OL should be beside at least one very experienced lineman.

if we can't get a solid OT via FA (not talking all pro material...just solid) then trade for one using any of our draft picks after the first couple. a legit starting OT is well worth trading away your 3rd rounder.

also, decide who your starters are going to be during minicamp. the OL should be set heading into training camp so that they can get as many of their much needed reps with their QB as a unit before the season starts as possible. depth should be the only thing they are trying to find out in TC where the OL is concerned.

The only issue there is what veteran tackles got paid in free agency last year.

They got big bucks, and most of them are proving now they weren't worth it.

If that happens again this offseason, it'll be difficult to get a vet.

Well I disagree. We put up 24 points on the current number 1 ranked defense in the league. We've shown flashes. Although Bears suck, we did what we never do which is launch a serious comeback. We could have easily blew out Seattle but 0-3 in the redzone prevented that. We're already at an disadvantage cause of our players, but we're really screwed if we let the defense get breathers and substitute against this obvious offense

thats how i see it. draft a T and start him on the right side with hopes he can grow into the LT spot while picking up a vet who can handle the blind side. I'd be okay with Norwell, Kalil and Turner in the middle. Next is get another big WR early in the draft, a potential game-changer like Cooper.

Agree we need some WR help, but I may rather go for it FA. Draft a speedy guy in the mid-late rounds. We desperately need some speed on the offense. We've got another year or two of stew then we're going to need a RB. I'd much rather draft a safety or tackle early. We need a hard hitting safety back there who can also cover. Mitchell was a game changer and he sucked at covering. Landon Collins is who I really really want.

Archived