• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers and Cam Newton in contract talks

bLACKpANTHER

70 guaranteed would be the most in the league and I am fairly positive Cam and his boys would take that. Don't think G-man would hand out 70 guaranteed. Much more likely to be something like 40-50 guaranteed and total 22-24 per year with cap hits backloaded.

Well, it's rumored that the Cawks might offer Wilson a 100% guaranteed contract a la baseball type deals. If this happens then It's a whole new ballgame.

• Pie 2

No qb wants a kaep type of contract. 

Especially not one on a team that opened last season with Bell and Chandler as the starting tackles.    We've had Cam on a discount for 4 years now,   being the first team to draft a #1 overall under the new rookie wage scale........and we've failed to build around him.   Now that he has gotten his ass kicked behind some of the worst Oline line-ups in franchise history.....some want him to take a discount under the promise that we'll build around him more.

• Pie 3

Our ace in the hole is JR. JR loves him some Cam. I think he'd intervene if it came to Cam bolting.

There is some truth to this. However, Gettleman seems very stuck in his ways and I could see him going low with an initial offer. As I interpreted that story, that could fug this team from the very beginning. I hope he's not that stupid.

This is the part I find disheartening

"Then, sources say, if the Panthers’ offer meets Newton’s expectations, he is interested in remaining with Carolina for the long-term."

I mean I am a businessman and am not naive, but this thing could get ugly if Cam's camp wants it to.

That's the same for every qb on every team.

NFL is about money. That all.

This is the part I find disheartening

"Then, sources say, if the Panthers’ offer meets Newton’s expectations, he is interested in remaining with Carolina for the long-term."

I mean I am a businessman and am not naive, but this thing could get ugly if Cam's camp wants it to.

So...I would think "sources" would be something like his agent.  Would not expect them to say anything else.

This will get done at some point.  Not worried, especially with GMan.

That's the same for every qb on every team.

NFL is about money. That all.

And I certainly understand that. If I'm a player I am getting what I can while I can.

But Gman drives a minivan and wears coaching shorts up to his turkey neck. That is what worries me.

70 guaranteed would be the most in the league and I am fairly positive Cam and his boys would take that. Don't think G-man would hand out 70 guaranteed. Much more likely to be something like 40-50 guaranteed and total 22-24 per year with cap hits backloaded.

No way. He is gonna be in at least the same range as these guys: http://wallstcheatsheet.com/sports/7-nfl-quarterbacks-who-are-really-making-the-most-money.html/?a=viewall

Being that he is young, up and coming, and basically better than Kaepernick, his contract---that is his guarantees---could easily be more.