• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Shaq Thompson In The First?

Jeremy Igo

This entire safety class seems like hot garbage. I know everyone wants a 220+ pound safety, but how many guys at that size do it well at the NFL level? Seems like most of them just can't move fast enough. The Sean Taylors, Adrian Wilsons, and Kam Chancellors seem to be few and far between. Most guys that size are playing LB.

this guy is a high twitch yet fluid in his reaction movements. no unnecessary movement in his direction transitions. he's strong quick, fast and fluid. this guy has the "it" factor that you just can't teach. this is a guy you can throw on the field and say "now go play some football," and that's exactly what he'll do.

this guy is a high twitch yet fluid in his reaction movements. no unnecessary movement in his direction transitions. he's strong quick, fast and fluid. this guy has the "it" factor that you just can't teach. this is a guy you can throw on the field and say "now go play some football," and that's exactly what he'll do.

I'm not knocking him as a football player.  I think he's a helluva football player, I just don't see him playing safety in the NFL.

And how long did it take Davis to work into a starting role even given the failed experiment at safety. With so many other needs for an immediate starter with our first rounder, picking him to groom as a starter down the road would be a colossal mistake. I am sure Gettleman is a lot smarter than that.

• Pie 2

• 3 weeks later...

with Shaq, everyone thinks he looks a lot faster on tape. So either the combine was not an accurate representation of his actual football speed in pads, or Shaq's instincts, ability to quickly diagnose a play and react, take the best angles and foot steps, be at the right place at the right time, etc are off-the-charts

Either way, the game film is the #1 thing all teams go by. This isn't pro track, this is pro football.

ESPN Pac 12 analyst Kyle Bonagura @ BonaguraESPN 22h

Shaq Thompson reacted to plays faster than anyone in the Pac-12.

Shaq flies around on his footage...he books. I just remember thinking"dang this guy is fast!"

I personally see him as a blitzing safety that can keep QB's and running backs in the pocket and either get a tackle for loss or flush them into CJ and our interior.

he's a football player, a playmaker and he knows how to score. he had the smoothest transitions in the follow the ball drill that I saw from anyone...and I watched all of them...his footwork and body control were uncanny.

I think he's best used in blitz packages and playing cenyer field as a coverage safety in zone. he has great field vision and seemlessly adjusts his direction in coverage.

he has the ability to start and be an impact from day one. he will give Luke more opportunities at pressuring (something Luke had harped on about wanting to do,) and he solves the Eoman Harper travesty.

he understands offense and has solid hands catching screen passes. Makes plays on the ball and scores. Can be a special teams ace.

Thomas Davis is set to make over 7 million this season and this could be the successor.

I want Shaq and the De/DT from Ucla (whose name I can't pronounce,) in the first two rounds. that should keep us with an elite front 7 for a long time to come.

Good, then he'll fall to us. We can make a helluva squad out of pedestrian numbers like The Seahawks did. Game speed, IQ and instincts are mostly what matters to me.

gamespeed and IQ are a big part

of what makes this guy so special.

some people nitpicking about his "explosiveness" but all that does is lead to concussions and a shortened career. he attacks the ball, not the ball player. saw a lot if film him ripping the ball out.

the guy just plays sound and fundamental and makes plays on the ball. Watching Luke isn't exactly super-hellaciously exciting and powerful, just fundamentally sound and sure footed making sure tackles. that's how this guy plays. flying after the football.