• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers NFL Draft Prospect - Justin Coleman

Jeremy Igo

I like Coleman and I think he could be a good fit in our scheme.I think we should look at a taller CB to play on the outside with Norman. Don't get me wrong, Bene had a impressive rookie season. I think he is just better suited in Nickel package due to his height and coverage ability. I don't think he has enough long speed to match up for the long term on the outside plus his height concerns me against those taller WR's.

While I love the Vols, I can promise you this guy's combine was an anomaly. He is a hard worker, but it is a common joke that he when he's chasing down a WR, he appears to literally be moving backwards. 

Not entirely true. This was definitely the case when he played outside, but he performed very well at nickel this season. 

There isn't a corner in this year's draft that will be available for the Panthers pick that is an upgrade.

People obviously didn't think that about guys like Bene, Norman, Sherman, Maxwell, etc. either.  Hence why they went in the mid-late rounds.  There are steals and busts in every draft.  Always have been, always will be.

• Pie 3

Wait, the Panthers have a rookie that ranked as one of the best corners in the league. Most draft redo's have Bene as a first rounder in 2014. So the Panthers should downgrade him to a part time player at nickel? Won't happen. 

Nickel is basically a starter in our defense.  The argument is not saying we're benching or downgrading Bene, just using him at his best capacity in case we come across a natural outside fit.  He can play outside well, and it may be the case in 2015 but it's not out of the realm of possibilities.

• Pie 2

Bene was one of the highest ranked corners in the entire NFL last season. Why move him to corner?

The only way I believe they would do that is if a CB fell and there was no one else to get. Then again knowing Getts, he may choose to trade back if the corner isn't a stand out guy. He won't trade a pick tho where he can get an A for two B's......I don't think that's his style. Too much unknown with the draft.

Edited by mbarbour21

if a larger, outside guy is available,(Trae Waynes, Jalen Collins) he will get picked. what the other guys are saying is, that in nickel situations, you can slide Bene from the outside, into the inside to play the nickel role. the guy coming in, would then play the outside, because his skill set would be better used there compared to the nickel. 

Bene would not lose any reps, he will just be playing nickel in passing situations. 

• Pie 1

Justin Coleman - CB - Tennessee

5'11 , 185lbs

This year I expect the Panthers to address their need for a nickel in the mid to late rounds of the NFL Draft. Last season we saw the Panthers adjust to not having a solid nickel option by often going with their "buffalo" package, which placed safety Colin Jones in the nickel spot. While this had positive results in run defense, it was a liability at times against the passing game.

A guy they could be targeting is Tennessee corner Justin Coleman.

The Panthers met with Coleman at the East West Shrine Game and were impressed with him. Coleman is a perfect fit for what the Carolina Panthers look for at the nickel position. Namely, tenacity and run stopping ability. Coleman spent most of his senior year at nickel for the Vols, and had his best college season to date.

Coleman helped himself greatly at the NFL Combine when he ranked as one of the quickest corners, posting top 5 results in both the 20 and 40 yard shuttle. He posted a 4.5 40 yard dash which gave his straight line speed the 6th best ranking. Throw in the fact that his 20 reps on the bench press was the third best in the group and it is clear Coleman has the physical skills the Panthers look for at nickel. These impressive combine numbers could possibly take him out of the sixth or seventh rounds and up into the fourth or fifth.

The Panthers are expected to have at least one compensatory draft pick in the area Coleman is projected to be selected. This only increases the odds of Gettleman pulling the trigger on him.

Usually somebody posts a thread listing all prospects the Panthers have spoken to. Is that something the team releases later? I know there are a lot of pro days and incoming visits to go but I'd be interested in seeing who we've met with to date.