• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Not Set At Wide Receiver

Jeremy Igo

I know people are dying for Shiny New Toy and justifying that, but here's the thing.  

Since Ginn returns punts, and both Brockel (a core special teamer) and McNeill (a tremendous blocker and good special teamer) are back, they probably keep 4 guys in jerseys at WR, not 5.  They have four guys who deserve a jersey already, and that's without any camp surprises. 

it would be fun for the longterm discussion if a WR was BPA, and Gettleman likes the TD-Catchers, he said so when he first came.  But he's not going to pick a random doofus because people don't like what Jerricho Cotchery brings, or because they want to take an unskilled eye and assign him a Madden number.   That's not how it works.   They're interested in a player that makes them better, and so are many here.  They just aren't willing to throw out a grizzled vet who brings you converted third downs because you don't like him. 

I know people are dying for Shiny New Toy and justifying that, but here's the thing.  

Since Ginn returns punts, and both Brockel (a core special teamer) and McNeill (a tremendous blocker and good special teamer) are back, they probably keep 4 guys in jerseys at WR, not 5.  They have four guys who deserve a jersey already, and that's without any camp surprises. 

it would be fun for the longterm discussion if a WR was BPA, and Gettleman likes the TD-Catchers, he said so when he first came.  But he's not going to pick a random doofus because people don't like what Jerricho Cotchery brings, or because they want to take an unskilled eye and assign him a Madden number.   That's not how it works.   They're interested in a player that makes them better, and so are many here.  They just aren't willing to throw out a grizzled vet who brings you converted third downs because you don't like him. 

Do you see an affordable number two out there better than Cotchery?

(speaking primarily of free agents since the draft is still a ways away)

Do you see an affordable number two out there better than Cotchery?

(speaking primarily of free agents since the draft is still a ways away)

I see many #2s or guys who have potential to be #2 who likely wouldn't be out of our range... Crabtree, Nicks, Andre (not really sure what his market will be like maybe he would have to take less to play for us, but I don't think he's completely out of the conversation), Stevie Johnson, Moore, Britt, and Shorts.

I agree. We should hopefuly add a young gun in the draft.

It's a ways down the road but I'm hoping the active WR group looks something like this by the time Sept. gets here:

Benjamin

*Draftee

Cotchery

Brown

Ginn

Bersin and Presley go to the PS. I'd be cool with a lot of the receivers in this draft in the first 3/4 rounds.

I believe Cotchery will be cut for Bersin.

KB

Draft pick

Brown

Ginn

Bersin

I believe Cotchery will be cut for Bersin.

KB

Draft pick

Brown

Ginn

Bersin

I also believe Cotchery will be cut, but I'm not sure it'll be for Bersin.  I think if any of Bersin/Hill/Presley/possible free agent signing even match his abilities in the preseason then Cotchery will be cut in favor of the younger more promising prospect.  Bersin I think does have a leg up because he possesses a lot of the same skillset that Cotch has, but Cotchery's job is far from safe, and frankly, so is Bersin. 

Cotchery brings experience to the group and is a good role model for the young receivers on the team. With as many rookies as we have in this offence, we need Cotchery in the same way we need Harper in the secondary. People will trash because of what they see on the field from a camera 100 yards away, but what he can add before the snap and on the bench is important for KB/Philly and whoever we draft. 

Harvin pls!

I'm breaking my rules of not wanting locker room cancer, but he would be a game changer........

Only keepers are KB, corey, and ginn. ALL others can fight for the leftovers. I do hope the panthers carry 6 WRs this year. Get with times guys.

What exactly has Harvin done the past few years to warrant your belief in him, besides his talent?

Britt's career numbers are akin to Brandon Lafell's (when he was able to stay on the field).

If you're looking for a quality player, your focus can't be "trying to get the best value" or whatever. It has to be about getting the best possible player.

If you're looking for a quality player, your focus can't be "trying to get the best value" or whatever. It has to be about getting the best possible player.

...that you can afford and still leaves you in a good position to make other moves to build the best roster you can.

Every team has a fixed amount of dollars they can spend. If you are not trying to maximize utility/talent per dollar, you are not trying to build the best roster you can.

...that you can afford and still leaves you in a good position to make other moves to build the best roster you can.

Every team has a fixed amount of dollars they can spend. If you are not trying to maximize utility/talent per dollar, you are not trying to build the best roster you can.

This is massively overstated here on this board, as is evidenced by the teams who continually find success in both FA and in games each year despite being up against the purported cap.

Here's a good article I've posted before from former Packers VP and cap manager Andrew Brandt, on the "salary cap myth." It's an article I've considered putting in its own thread.

Essentially, he discusses how the cap is so easy to manipulate that it doesn't really matter when building a team.

http://mmqb.si.com/2015/02/25/nfl-salary-cap-myth-los-angeles-stadium/

Archived