• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

If he's at 25, can Gettleman pass on DGB?

Rags

Comparing Cam and DGB... smdh.

Actually I'm not comparing DGB's issues to Cam, they are totally different. However, it is a fact that when Cam came out of college there were character concerns about him (eg. Dismissed by Florida, people called him me-first, questioned his work ethic, his maturity etc), and his maturity has been questioned in his time in the NFL (eg. sulking with a towel over his head).

Now Cam has turned out well, and that was my point. He came out of college having made a mistake at Florida, but he learned from it and grew as a man because of it. And that's what Cam has personified during his time in the NFL. That sometimes those character concerns either don't emerge, or are overcome because at heart they are a good kid. And that's what Cam has proven himself to be, a good kid that made a mistake and perhaps was misread.

Is DGB different? Probably. But if he takes a page out of Cam and Dez's book - ie learns from his mistakes and grows as a man - then he may end up having a good career in the league. If he doesn't follow that path, and instead continues to mess up like Josh Gordon and Justin Blackmon, the he'll be the next wasted talent that find himself out of the league.

That was my point, not comparing the two guys characters concerns.

Actually I'm not comparing DGB's issues to Cam, they are totally different. However, it is a fact that when Cam came out of college there were character concerns about him (eg. Dismissed by Florida, people called him me-first, questioned his work ethic, his maturity etc), and his maturity has been questioned in his time in the NFL (eg. sulking with a towel over his head).

Now Cam has turned out well, and that was my point. He came out of college having made a mistake at Florida, but he learned from it and grew as a man because of it. And that's what Cam has personified during his time in the NFL. That sometimes those character concerns either don't emerge, or are overcome because at heart they are a good kid. And that's what Cam has proven himself to be, a good kid that made a mistake and perhaps was misread.

Is DGB different? Probably. But if he takes a page out of Cam and Dez's book - ie learns from his mistakes and grows as a man - then he may end up having a good career in the league. If he doesn't follow that path, and instead continues to mess up like Josh Gordon and Justin Blackmon, the he'll be the next wasted talent that find himself out of the league.

That was my point, not comparing the two guys characters concerns.

Here's the thing about Cam's issues... outside of the computer deal at Florida, they're all lies.

You repeat one of them above, that he was "dismissed from Florida".

That is, of course, a blatant lie. But repeated so often that people like you believe it.

Which is the primary difference between Cam and DGB in that DGB's *many* issues are on record.

"Ticking time bomb"

https://oklahoma.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1745688

Yeah, he looks like a real time bomb.  Rolls eyes.  This kid has changed, you can tell it.  Last two seasons were real humbling for him.  In high school he didn't get in trouble, and at Missouri he was the big man on campus that thought he could get away with murder.  What do you expect?  When he finally got into a REAL football environment like OU, he changed everything.  

Here's the thing about Cam's issues... outside of the computer deal at Florida, they're all lies.

You repeat one of them above, that he was "dismissed from Florida".

That is, of course, a blatant lie. But repeated so often that people like you believe it.

Which is the primary difference between Cam and DGB in that DGB's *many* issues are on record.

I'm not criticising Cam Newton. I like him, he's one of my favorite players, but I'm not naive to dismiss the fact that there were concerns [true or not] when he came out of college. Now your opinion is that they are all lies, but for the people who are paid to analyse these talents, they didn't bring them up for no reason. There must have been some basis for saying what they did, and it was not some anti-Carolina Panther/Cam Newton agenda that some on these forums love to spout.

Like I said. I brought Cam's name up because he is one of the people who proved the experts wrong, and didn't succumb to the apparent character concerns and let it ruin their career. Cam proved them wrong, regardless of how true those concerns were.

DGB's concerns are well noted. But again, does he regret his mistakes? Has he learned from them and grown as a man? Will he prove his doubters wrong to become the next star receiver, or simply prove them wrong by not repeating the same mistakes when he turns pro?

These are questions we won't know the answer to for a while. But if a front office believes that DGB is a good kid that has made mistakes, but has learned from them, and will make sure they don't happen again, then that front office will take a leap of faith on him. If they don't believe that, then they'll pass on him.

Archived