• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Gettleman: Oher can be answer at left tackle

Jeremy Igo

Maybe some team with one of the top LTs would be interested in trading that LT for Luke.

Whadda ya say?

If no, then what is YOUR plan to get one?

Let's say I would be more active in pursuing a LT than Getts.  In fact, if I had things my way last year, this wouldn't even be a problem.  I would have let Hardy walk in free agency, and would have signed Veldheer.  Right now, I would be following Jake Long and seeing where he was at.  I would be looking at Hairston (sp) from the Bills, even possibly looking to see if the Vikings would take a conditional late round pick for Matt Kalil.

The one thing I would not being doing, is saying Oher could be the answer at LT.

Yes, I have criticized him for the mistakes he's made, and just because I'm not sitting at his feet huffing the aroma of his freshly cut toes, doesn't mean that I am not aware of what real talent is available to us this offseason beyond the top tier names. Rectifying those two lines of thinking as capable of coexisting within one mindset has been the most difficult and frustrating part for the posters here who try to bill anyone who doesn't squeal in exuberance for the wisdom of The Dave as michael Oher or Byron bell allow yet another defender to blow by them as some sub-human smut while shouting "dis ain't madden brah!" so as to avoid any real or difficult questions on how an all-knowing and irreproachable *gasp* NFL employee! could possibly make a mistake that was detrimental to our team. I mean that just doesn't happen ever and how dare I insinuate otherwise.

You don't have to worship the guy, but to continually say he is wrecking the team because he hasn't made substantial upgrades at the tackle position, when there is no one substantially better to sign, is kind of a waste of everyone's time and is pretty much shiit posting.

I'm saying that I feel like Gettleman's history both here (and in New York, on the matter of offensive lineman in themselves) is enough to suggest that we probably shouldn't just assume this is a routine depth move on the path to truly fulfilling the need in the draft.

In fact, if that is the case, and he is waiting for the draft to address needs, I'm wondering just how many picks he thinks he has in the Top 60 before the starter level rookies start to drop off pretty significantly. Even if we do have an OT fall in our lap come draft night, it still doesn't address the other positions of needs on the roster, which is where my frustration of the last few days is born.

I'm not sure why you're looking at his NY history, he was responsible for putting together two of the best offensive lines in history in 2007 and 2011. 

You can question Gettleman's ability to scout OTs (I personally wouldn't as he's had plenty of experience of doing it and has missed with us on limited resources) but stop underselling his ability as a scout in general. There are 20 other positions that he's more than proven himself with. 

Ogbuehi says he'll be ready for training camp, if they do a thorough physical on his knee and agree that he can be ready for TC, he could end up being the pick at 25, he'll be gone by 57.

A "heart condition" dropped Star, Benji fell due to a deep and talented rookie class, a torn ACL may be the reason why we fill another need in the first round of this draft.

Risky. We've been blessed before but I don't know. Don't disagree he's a first round talent and likely wouldn't last until 57 with a good diagnosis, but even I wouldn't feel comfortable enough pulling the trigger at 25. Not to mention he's more of a RT than LT.

I'm not sure why you're looking at his NY history, he was responsible for putting together two of the best offensive lines in history in 2007 and 2011.

You can question Gettleman's ability to scout OTs (I personally wouldn't as he's had plenty of experience of doing it and has missed with us on limited resources) but stop underselling his ability as a scout in general. There are 20 other positions that he's more than proven himself with.

I'm not talking about his scouting ability, he does that well and I give him credit for it. When I speak of his history in New York and trends here, I'm speaking to his philosophy. More specifically, I'm speaking to his philosophy on OL as a whole.

As I've said, I don't think he values it as much as he should, and in light of the success (or lack thereof) that we've had with his UDFAs and basement level FAs as a whole, it looks as if it's a significant flaw in his approach.

You don't have to worship the guy, but to continually say he is wrecking the team because he hasn't made substantial upgrades at the tackle position, when there is no one substantially better to sign, is kind of a waste of everyone's time and is pretty much shiit posting.

It's a waste of your precious time bruh.  There's several cats on here that are spitting the same garbage, yet you'll never, ever, see them come up with any legitimate options that would be better.  It's just, "they're not doing anything to make us better."  No examples as to what would make us better, and any example they might have, is laughably out of reach for us right now.  The only argument, is that nothing is happening, and it never has, and *insert oldschool "mantra" that doesn't work now*.

I never said he was "wrecking the team" (though there are better options to acquire) and the only posters who would claim it a "waste of their time" are those who don't like being confronted with reality in the midst of their "His had a hurt teo guys, it's all good" bonanza.

As I said in my last post, you and your ilk do this pretty consistently. Whenever confronted with these realities, your report to hyperbole and sensationalism to try avoid facing the tough questions "How can you say he's wrecking the team!!!!!! Ee-gads!!!"

It's a waste of your precious time bruh. There's several cats on here that are spitting the same garbage, yet you'll never, ever, see them come up with any legitimate options that would be better. It's just, "they're not doing anything to make us better." No examples as to what would make us better, and any example they might have, is laughably out of reach for us right now. The only argument, is that nothing is happening, and it never has, and *insert oldschool "mantra" that doesn't work now*.

This is an excellent and perfectly timed example of what I'm talking about. I'm even going to give you pie for helping me illustrate my point. Appreciated.

I remember how they had Godfrey and Chandler's back and those were answers....I trust Gman to put talent on the roster but not Rivera to play the correct players.

We'll see though, I think Oher will do well here.....at least I HOPE he does....

Let's say I would be more active in pursuing a LT than Getts.  In fact, if I had things my way last year, this wouldn't even be a problem.  I would have let Hardy walk in free agency, and would have signed Veldheer.  Right now, I would be following Jake Long and seeing where he was at.  I would be looking at Hairston (sp) from the Bills, even possibly looking to see if the Vikings would take a conditional late round pick for Matt Kalil.

The one thing I would not being doing, is saying Oher could be the answer at LT.

If there's one thing following the NFL should've taught all of us, it's that you can't believe anything that comes out of the mouth of a GM or coach, especially this time of year.

What's he supposed to say?  "Yeah, we know this guy sucks ass, but we signed him anyway because we're desperate."  IMO, they think Oher CAN be the answer at LT and that's why they signed him.  Notice the word choice:  "CAN".  Big difference between can and "IS".  If the right guy is there at #25 or in the 2nd round or in the 3rd round, I have no doubt we'll pull the trigger.

Archived