• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Gettleman: Oher can be answer at left tackle

Jeremy Igo

There is absolutely no excuse for him thinking Bell could play LT and protect our franchise QB after he was so terrible the year before.  But he's left handed!  Go ahead and defend him though, blindly.  He had a great draft last year, no joke, but he was completely wrong when it came to our offensive line last offseason.  They could have signed a refridgerator off craigslist for $75 that could have blocked better than Bell, and guess what?  99% of this board KNEW Bell and Chandler would be terrible, but yet our expert talent scout didn't know?

Oher could work out, but still need to draft.  Hopefully he isn't just "ok" going with Oher like last year with Bell.

Name names, and quote cap figures.

Then we can have a discussion.

Come October this board will look like it does every year.

It's not "cool" to say things that go against the homer narrative I know, but let's at least please act like adults with some measure of impartiality. I get that you guys don't like to be confronted with reality, I do, this is your favorite team and you'd rather kid yourself than face the facts. But all I ask is that you please don't come crying once the season starts.

This board looks like this every single year. Every year. The offseason rolls around, Tiquan underwood gets signed, and all the "cool guys" respond to anybody who dares question the all impartial homer narrative with hyperbole and insults. Then the season is played, and surprise suprise, Tiquan Underwood can't make the roster or ends up being the reason the team isn't very good.

Forgive me i choose to be a little bit better. Delude yourself if you like.

Guess what? Dave Gettleman screwed up last year. He thought Byron Bell would be a good LT. He was wrong. Byron bell ended up being one of the worst offensive lineman in the league and was even directly responsible for a game changing play for the worst in the most important game of the year. And now? Now he hasn't learned from his mistakes.

Gettlemagic is all I can really say.

Gettleman's mistake wasn't trusting the coaches when they said Bell could start last year. All GMs have to do this. 

Gettleman's mistake was not providing enough depth and competition in case the gamble didn't pay off. We know that he's taking another risk with Oher this year. Anyone who's watched tape of him at Tennesse knows he was no better than Bell last year. If he had played as many games as Bell he would have had been ranked just as bad as Bell by PFF. 

This is a risk that Matsko and Gettleman are taking, but we should wait to see what Gettleman does for the rest of FA and the draft before seeing whether he has learnt his lesson around depth this time round.

It's not "cool" to say things that go against the homer narrative I know, but let's at least please act like adults with some measure of impartiality. I get that you guys don't like to be confronted with reality, I do, this is your favorite team and you'd rather kid yourself than face the facts. But all I ask is that you please don't come crying once the season starts.

This board looks like this every single year. Every year. The offseason rolls around, Tiquan underwood gets signed, and all the "cool guys" respond to anybody who dares question the all impartial homer narrative with hyperbole and insults. Then the season is played, and surprise suprise, Tiquan Underwood can't make the roster or ends up being the reason the team isn't very good.

Guess what? Dave Gettleman screwed up last year. He thought Byron Bell would be a good LT. He was wrong. Byron bell ended up being one of the worst offensive lineman in the league and was even directly responsible for a game changing play for the worst in the most important game of the year. And now? Now he hasn't learned from his mistakes.

Listen veruca very carefully. Nobody is like gee golly gosh I'm so happy with the current tackle situation. Superb owl!!!!!!

Please name names of players we should go after or trade for and what you think they will be worth. I won't hold my breath veruca

Please list your alternatives at the tackle position.

I think people make posts like this with the notion that they are being "clever" or what have you, but all it really suggests is shame in them for not being familiar with the options that are available to us at the position this offseason.

"Zomg growl this is MICHAEL OHER he was the guy in the blindside movie and his mom is sandra bullock, are we really gonna find a bigger name than that?! #toe #lefthanded #shrewdspending #kingsofthesouth #panthersroolsuperbowlsdrool "

I have made many posts on this year's OT pool/class. You're more than welcome to check those threads if you please.

Name names, and quote cap figures.

Then we can have a discussion.

I'm not exactly sure the name of the refigerator, but you can probably get a whirlpool for that if the people are moving and don't to take it with them long distance.  I'm guessing $75, 35 guarenteed, 10 signing bonus?  Not bad for a refrigerator that can block, no ice maker though.

Gettleman's mistake wasn't trusting the coaches when they said Bell could start last year. All GMs have to do this.

Gettleman's mistake was not providing enough depth and competition in case the gamble didn't pay off. We know that he's taking another risk with Oher this year. Anyone who's watched tape of him at Tennesse knows he was no better than Bell last year. If he had played as many games as Bell he would have had been ranked just as bad as Bell by PFF.

This is a risk that Matsko and Gettleman are taking, but we should wait to see what Gettleman does for the rest of FA and the draft before seeing whether he has learnt his lesson around depth this time round.

I feel like past is prologue is viable system of belief here.

I think people make posts like this with the notion that they are being "clever" or what have you, but all it really suggests is shame in them for not being familiar with the options that are available to us at the position this offseason.

"Zomg growl this is MICHAEL OHER he was the guy in the blindside movie and his mom is sandra bullock, are we really gonna find a bigger name than that?! #toe #lefthanded #shrewdspending #kingsofthesouth #panthersroolsuperbowlsdrool "

I have made many posts on this year's OT pool/class. You're more than welcome to check those threads if you please.

so nobody.

you don't want to have a discussion then.

silly veruca, tricks are for kids

Neither is it cool to simply complain about everything. Gettleman knew what he had in Bell. He has been a scout damn hear his entire career. I hope you don't think that the keyboard scouts here know more about player evaluation than the professionals. Do you really think he would make public statements to disparage him? 

About Bell and Chandler--Rivera was high on them, but we really were broke and had no money to address the pricey OT position.  I think they squirmed through a season of watching those 2 get humiliated every week and know that the have to do something this year. Oher is phase 1 of a process.  He has experience and they feel they can protect Cam with him, and I am sure Matsko had a loud voice in that process.  Nobody knows Bell and Oher better than our OL coach.  Many teams do not like their LT--about as many who do not like their QB.  They are hard to find.  Over the past 2 seasons, 10 OTs were drafted before the 20th pick in each draft.  2 were successful starters in 2014.  So, don't think the answer is in the draft.  They might develop into good players, but they need a year or two.  I do not see how Gettlemen ignores OT in the draft.  However, you have to protect Cam to win. 

To people saying "Oher can't be worse than bell" forget that idea.

Go and watch film of Oher last year. He is a penalty machine and struggled against the pass as much as Bell.

He was not better than Bell last year. 

I'm trusting that his injury problems have been overcome and that Matsko can sort him out (Matsko is a damn good O Line coach) but right now this is as bad a situation as week 9 last season. 

Archived