• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

same as last year, Rivera says Cam has got to become a more sound QB

gettlemanjack

Our we really just going to compare stats without any context?

Anyone think that MIA running a Chip Kelly offense(that made Nick Foles look like the greatest quarterback of all time) might have had something to do with those increase in Tannehills production.

Who the heck were the three 1,000 yard receivers Cam had in 2013? Greg Olsen was tops on the team in receiving yards in 2013 with 816. Top 10 rushing attack? With Cam's rushing totals added in the ground game ranked 11th in the league but if we are talking strictly production from the running backs...without Cam's 500+ yards on the ground that year we come in a single yard ahead of Miami for the 25th ranked rushing attack in the league. Are you just hoping no one would check your statistics at this point or was it an honest mistake thinking we had three 1,000 yard receivers in 2013 and a rushing attack in the top 10?

oops.gif

On and on.  One question?  How fair is it to compare even contemporaries on passing ratings when they operate in different systems.

Are we really going to compare completion rates for a QB in a short passing WCO where many throws are 5 yard dumpoffs to backs in the flat or simply slants and crossing patterns with a quarterback running a vertical passing attack emphasizing the deep ball and intermediate to long out routes for example.   

With Cam healthy and with an improved offense I see no excuse why he shouldn't improve. Blame Shula all you want but with a new WR and new OT we will be better. Health was a major problem last year and hopefully it won't be a concern this season. I hope this is the last season we hear about Cam needing to improve his fundamentals.

On and on. One question? How fair is it to compare even contemporaries on passing ratings when they operate in different systems.

Are we really going to compare completion rates for a QB in a short passing WCO where many throws are 5 yard dumpoffs to backs in the flat or simply slants and crossing patterns with a quarterback running a vertical passing attack emphasizing the deep ball and intermediate to long out routes for example.

Simply put, you have to use something, and the passer rating is about as simple and impartial as it gets. There is just no perfect way to do it, but to use a stat that can be applied across the board, regardless of system, is about the best and most easily understandable. The QB has to be efficient regardless. Of course there are the other factors and intangibles that you may not be able to quantify, but some things have to be judged by the eye test and the gut.

It is notable that QBs on the list with the highest career passer ratings largely have the best winning percentages and/or championships (mind you I am referring to the relatively modern day QBs). I don't believe that it's a coincidence, and neither do the experts. One thing I will point out, which is a valid criticism, is that it doesn't take running into account, but it's really not about running (which we know adds great value to Cam's status). Moreover, I believe that people should give credit to Cam as being a better passer than some would lead us to believe.

Basically, I think it is just a way to put some more perspective into the argument that Cam is more good than mediocre.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_career_passer_rating_leaders

But here is the wiki explaining the formula, history and theory behind it.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passer_rating

I am gonna have to figure out how to add "Cam" to my dictionary in Lollipop. The damned thing keeps changing it to "Can". When I long press it it doesn't give me an option.

Of course for some reason I am much more prone to errors using a pad or phone anyway. Oh well. Just lots of edits.

Oh goody. This discussion again. We haven't had this debate in...what, a week?

In any case, let me try and throw in some perspective here.

Some years back, I remember watching this young quarterback. He was immensely talented, supremely confident and had a rocket launcher for an arm.

He was also all too often inconsistent and erratic. He could throw absolutely perfect passes on one offensive series and then be wildly off the mark in the next. He won a lot of games, but he was a big part of some painful losses too.

Some people said he was a future MVP. Others thought he'd be good, but not great. "Too inconsistent" was the criticism, and it was arguably a valid one.

His team, however, believed in him. And it turned out to be a wise decision. Years later, he helped lead them to a Super Bowl.

So did he correct his issues?

Well...not really.

In truth, he remained somewhat inconsistent his entire career. Still, there was more good than bad, and he's now talked about as one of the best ever.

I see a lot of similarities between that guy and Cam Newton. Newton has a lot of the same strengths and many of the same flaws.

But if that guy can be successful, why not Newton?

I'm actually blanking on that guy's name, but I know he played for the Packers and I think he wore number four.

(maybe someone could look him up)

Oh goody. This discussion again. We haven't had this debate in...what, a week?

In any case, let me try and throw in some perspective here.

Some years back, I remember watching this young quarterback. He was immensely talented, supremely confident and had a rocket launcher for an arm.

He was also all too often inconsistent and erratic. He could throw absolutely perfect passes on one offensive series and then be wildly off the mark in the next. He won a lot of games, but he was a big part of some painful losses too.

Some people said he was a future MVP. Others thought he'd be good, but not great. "Too inconsistent" was the criticism, and it was arguably a valid one.

His team, however, believed in him. And it turned out to be a wise decision. Years later, he helped lead them to a Super Bowl.

So did he correct his issues?

Well...not really.

In truth, he remained somewhat inconsistent his entire career. Still, there was more good than bad, and he's now talked about as one of the best ever.

I see a lot of similarities between that guy and Cam Newton. Newton has a lot of the same strengths and many of the same flaws.

But if that guy can be successful, why not Newton?

I'm actually blanking on that guy's name, but I know he played for the Packers and I think he wore number four.

(maybe someone could look him up)

You should have made people guess. I knew exactly who you were talking about.

I love the comparison.

It's always been my favorite comparison for Cam.

People wanted to compare him to Vick. He's nothing like Vick. Newton and Vick have about as much on common as Ben Roethlisberger and RG3.

And speaking of Big Ben, I've seen that comparison too, but I've never liked it because I think Roethlisberger is overrated.

It's always been my favorite comparison for Cam.

People wanted to compare him to Vick. He's nothing like Vick. Newton and Vick have about as much on common as Ben Roethlisberger and RG3.

And speaking of Big Ben, I've seen that comparison too, but I've never liked it because I think Roethlisberger is overrated.

I somewhat understand an Big Ben comparison and certainly the favre comparison. But what about Elway v Cam comparison?

Archived