• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

La'el Collins has begun visits

top dawg

If he had any involvement, then I don't even need to state the obvious.

But if he had nothing to do with this (which I personally agree) then I hope a positive can come from this. Not the death of a mother and child obviously, as even the deepest devoted people can be hard-pressed to find any kind of silver lining to that tragedy.

But hopefully youngsters in college ball learn that the NFL doesn't love you. It will turn its back on you in a damn heartbeat. So please be smart in school, because there really are no "youthful transgressions" for college athletes anymore.

Top-10 talent goes undrafted because a day before the draft he's simply being talked to about a women's death.

A buddy of mine is an asst. DA and he said next year he's going to call in all the top prospects for questioning on the JFK killing. Not because he thinks they are suspects, but just because he'll have some questions.

Same thing (not to take the death side of this lightly,mind you)

That argument was better suited for drafting him in the late rounds, and locking him into a low price. If a bidding war starts, and the kid doesn't already have a team in mind that he'd take anything to play for, I think he'll get his money.

There will be no bidding war - all teams are required by the CBA to offer essentially the same money.  They can alter the structure and guarantees, but the dollar amounts will be essentially the same from all teams.

I'm not expecting him here, and not even for the Panthers possibly being wary of him.

Seems like a simplistic way to look at it, but we have a 1/32 shot at signing him. With factors like immediate playing time and Trai, go ahead and throw it up to 1/10 if you want. Seeing him in a Panthers jersey is still not something I'd bet on. IF he were to end up here though? Oo wee mayne

No way Richardson allows us to sign him

We just signed Brandon Wegher to the same contract that he would get and he actually has a history of actual police run ins and domestic abuse.  If we don't sign him, it won't be because of JR, it will be because he chose another team over us.  Let's let this situation play out.

Here's something else to consider:

some teams see La'el as a guard-only. Some see him as a RT-only. La'el wants to play left tackle: "Left tackle is definitely where I want to play in the NFL."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/draft/2015/02/09/lael-collins-lsu-draft-diary/23125133/

So the teams that view La'el as a LT are going to have priority. Are we even one of those teams? Or do we see him as a RT or an OG?

The good news is that the team closest to his home (the Saints), have him as a guard-only. In the press conference with Sean Payton after the draft, they were asking him a bunch of questions about Peat and Collins. Payton said they had Peat graded higher than Collins, that teams are split on whether he's an OG or an OT, and that the Saints are only looking at him as an OG.

But again, are we one of those teams that see him as a LT? The teams that do will have priority

Good points.

How we view LC is unclear with DG's refusal to speak on the matter.

I would assume we do project him as a LT since we are weak at that position and already drafted DW in the 4th round.

If we dont view him as a LT i doubt we even contact him or his agent.

That argument was better suited for drafting him in the late rounds, and locking him into a low price. If a bidding war starts, and the kid doesn't already have a team in mind that he'd take anything to play for, I think he'll get his money.

You do realize there is no financial bidding war for an UDFA, don't you?

The salary for an UDFA is set by the CBA.  The only "bidding way" over Collins will be selling him on why a team would be a better fit...not money.

Good points.

How we view LC is unclear with DG's refusal to speak on the matter.

I would assume we do project him as a LT since we are weak at that position and already drafted DW in the 4th round.

If we dont view him as a LT i doubt we even contact him or his agent.

You're not thinking this through. It doesn't matter if we view him as tackle, guard, center, long snapper, or quarterback. We would be getting a first round talent for free. There's literally no risk here at all which is why all 32 teams want him.

you can offer more guaranteed money to UDFA's than other teams

For a talent like Collins, every team will do that.

There will be little to no financial difference in the offers from all teams....will come down to where he wants to play.

We just signed Brandon Wegher to the same contract that he would get and he actually has a history of actual police run ins and domestic abuse. If we don't sign him, it won't be because of JR, it will be because he chose another team over us. Let's let this situation play out.

Correct, but you'll never convince the dimwits.

Archived