• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

2011 NFL draft revisited, would you take JJ Watt over Cam?

I was reading the 2011 CBS remock and both of the writers had JJ Watt going first overall. Cam slipped to 2nd and 3rd in the redrafts, btw.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25139822/nfl-draft-redux-colin-kaepernick-to-browns-or-jets

Knowing what we know now, would you still take Cam over JJ Watt, who is quickly becoming the best pass rusher the league has ever seen? If you spent this offseason shitposting about "BPA! BPA!" would you still think that Cam is BPA over JJ?

Oh yeah and please don't turn this into yet another "CAM HATER!!" witch hunt/circlejerk please, you have a bunch of other threads to valiantly defend a million dollar athlete against the legion of evil sports writers who are probably saints and cowboys fans.

Tempting, but if you take Watt over Cam the Panthers essentially become what the Texans are now: dominant defense with no QB stuck in mediocrity because of Brees in New Orleans and Ryan in Atlanta who would far outperform whatever we managed to pick off the scrap heap.

The defense would be too good to tank for Luck or RG3 the next year but maybe we pick Tannehill which then leaves another generational talent Kuechly on the board.

There's still an element of need when it comes to BPA so I doubt DG would have passed him up. If Hurney saw the talent was there I'm sure DG would have as well.

Look at it this way in a redraft with the two first rounders and the one second rounder from 2011 and 2012:

Cam Newton and Luke Kuechly

or

JJ Watt and Andrew Luck 

or 

JJ Watt, Luke Kuechly, and Russell Wilson

3 options to find that QB.

Fun fact, if you reverse our first round draft orders for 2011 and 2012, we could have picked JJ Watt and Luck instead of Cam and Luke.

I think the results would have been the same to this point. Luck would have had as much success as Cam. however, Cam has the higher ceiling if he can solve his accuracy issues.

Archived