• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

It's Official. Cam Newton signs $103.8 Million extension over 5 years.

hepcat

This is really exciting!  We all knew it was going to happen, and it finally has!  I continue to think that Gettleman is a very good GM, and if he is willing to hitch his future in the NFL on Cam, then he really and truly believes that Cam is the answer!  Most fans have known it, but ti's a nice affirmation!  

BTW - remember the 2015 Top 100 video of Cam?  They had that offensive intro about the letter that inbred kid wrote about Cam?  They also said he was unranked last year when he was really ranked 24?  I emailed them and told them to erase the intro and fix the error.  AND THEY DID.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000495161/article/cam-newton-panthers-agree-to-mega-extension

The people's comments about cam from that article really annoy me... They think they know everything about cam but most of them completely wrong.

Like someone else mentioned, his cap will decrease the last two years of the contract, while 3-5 years from now the cap will increased substantially (if they keep going similar to the last two years). Which will leave TONS of money to bring in other people. I know we'll be competing for a superbowl right now, but I think the front office is really seeing a chance to build a "super team" and really go hard for a superbowl (or two) in the last couple years of his contract.

Worth noting that front loading is better for both sides. Us for cap reasons, Newton for something else.

What a lot of teams have done with in the past is backload big contracts. The result was a load of money that made the player happy because he thought he'd get it, and made the team happy because they knew he wouldn't.

We didn't do Cam that way.

Great deal for all involved.  Just think if well just think when Cam has a great 2015 season, takes us to the NFC Championship game what his contract would have looked like next year.  120+.  With the cap going up and up every season this will soon be the norm for average QBs, 17-20 million.  KEEP POUNDING!!!

Archived