• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Brenton Bersin continues to impress

Jeremy Igo

​Yep! 20+ pages about a 5th string receiver. Who needs a conversation about Benjamin and Funchess when we have Bersin!

It's the offseason.. If you  can make a better topic then make it..  Why do people complain about a 1 thread in a 10,000 thread forum getting traffic..  While posting in said thread..

• Pie 1

I don't understand the hate Bersin gets either. As I recall he made some pretty clutch catches in a few tight situations last year. When he was asked to be a WR he performed pretty well.

He did..  11 catches worth..  He also had a few drops and a few tips that lead to interception..  He also didn't get much separation showed no big play ability or evidence that he could ever be a starter  and he isn't a help on sspecial teams... 

He did..  11 catches worth..  He also had a few drops and a few tips that lead to interception..  He also didn't get much separation showed no big play ability or evidence that he could ever be a starter  and he isn't a help on sspecial teams... 

​You keep exaggerating his single tip and single drop on the season. Again, he had a single drop, and a single tip that was intercepted. It's not that hard to accurately state the number that has been repeated numerous times in this thread alone. According to PFF Bersin averaged more YAC/catch than Brown and Benjamin and had the highest catch percentage on the team for wide receivers. I'm not even a huge fan of Bersin, but if your only points other than your personal opinion are just exaggerations and lies then maybe you should just stop.

• Pie 2

​You keep exaggerating his single tip and single drop on the season. Again, he had a single drop, and a single tip that was intercepted. It's not that hard to accurately state the number that has been repeated numerous times in this thread alone. According to PFF Bersin averaged more YAC/catch than Brown and Benjamin and had the highest catch percentage on the team for wide receivers. I'm not even a huge fan of Bersin, but if your only points other than your personal opinion are just exaggerations and lies then maybe you should just stop.

He had 13 fuging catches..  You people exaggerate his contribution to the team and I said he had 2 drops a 1-2 tips to int's..  When you only have 13 rec.  2-3 mistakes are bigger ... 

Yeah I was thinking I could see Cotchery getting cut, would be a ballsy move but could see it happening.  

Obviously Benjamin and Funchess have spots.  I think Ginn has to have a spot just because of his ability to return punts, that was a HUGE asset for us in 2013.  I think we all like Philly Brown too.  So then the coaches seem to really like Bersin too.  If we don't keep 6 wr's Cotchery has to be the odd man out

Don't be shocked if Bersin is kept in favor of Cotchery. He has been getting more first team snaps. 

Fine by me. I would rather have the younger player with untapped potential than the older player who has already reached his full potential. I have no problem with Bersin as long as he's but returning punts.
  • Pie 1

I'll say this, as long as coaching decisions are made based on the most talented players on the team and not seniority, draft position, or flat out favortism, then I really don't care.  Just keep the 53 best players and I'll be happy, and if because of that, we end up with Bersin, Harper, Silatolu, or even cotchery, I'm completely ok.

Cuz I'm bored at work, and wanted to see the break down of his catches and incompletions....

Stats from: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/

13 catches out of 20 targets (65%)

8 of the 20 targets for Bersin were on 3rd down plays. 2 of those plays were incomplete. (both were pass defended)
8 catches in the 4th quarter
1 catch in the 3rd quarter
4 catches in the 2nd quarter

7 incomplete passes out of 20 targets (35%)

1 incomplete pass was in OT: No pass defender
1 incomplete pass was in the 3rd quarter: Resulted in an interception
5 incomplete passes were in the 2nd quarter: 1 resulted in an interception, 2 No pass defender, 2 Pass defended

Per http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/drops/2014/ , Bersin had 1 dropped pass all season.

Now, lets see how Cotchery did... (since most are comparing them the closest)

48 catches out of 78 targets (62%)

22 of the 78 targets for Cotchery were on 3rd down plays. 11 of those plays were incomplete.

1 catch in OT
4 catches in the 4th quarter
16 catches in the 3rd quarter
13 catches in the 2nd quarter
14 catches in the 1st quarter

30 incomplete passes out of 78 targets (38%)
1 incomplete pass was in OT: Pass defended
5 incomplete passes was in the 4th quarter: 4 No Pass defender, 1 pass defended
8 incomplete passes were in the 3rnd quarter: 5 No Pass defender, 3 Pass defended
7 incomplete passes were in the 2nd quarter: 1 INT, 4 No Pass defender, 2 Pass defended
8 incomplete passes were in the 1st quarter: 6 No Pass defender, 2 Pass defended

Per http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/drops/2014/ , Cotchery had 1 dropped pass all season.

Take from that what you want...

• Pie 1