• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Do you ever wonder why Steve Smith left?

Khaki Lackey

Smith is a dick.  In the media, in the locker room, on the field.  A Cancer. 

I watched several OTAs when he was here, and the only teammate who would talk to him (socially) was Kasay--they seemed to be friends, oddly enough.  A religious southern white boy and a hot-tempered, black kid from LA.

I think Bill Cowher said it best when he said something like, "You can tolerate more from a good player than a marginal player, but when the crap exceeds production, you cut ties."  (paraphrasing rather horribly, but the point is valid)

I don't know why so many have trouble identifying the real reason:  Smitty refused to take a pay cut this late in his career (don't blame him) and the Panthers were on the hook for a TON of Marty Hurneyclaus gifts if they kept him.  Smitty would have been the highest paid over-35 WR in the history of the game-by far.  You don't pay 37-year old speed WRs $8m per season.  We would have been locked into that figure if he stayed. 

Gettlemen made a great move.  Maybe he was better with the Ravens and maybe he is worth it there, but here in Carolina, his production--for whatever reason--was not worth the $$. period.

Archived