• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Article: Josh Norman and the Carolina Panthers making a statement in 2015

PhillyB

An actual sports related point here - since 2001 the NCAA has refused to allow NCAA events in SC, in theory at least this should end the ban if SC removes the flag. Non-sports related point - those who hate will hate no matter what flag flies, there are many who hate under the American flag, the Mexican flag, Iranian flag (how about all the "death to America" chants in their parliament yesterday?), etc. People make symbols what they are. If this flag offends so many, yes it should come down, but it wont end the hate from some people, and taking it down may make it worse for a while. Hopefully a better and open conversation about race happens after the flag comes down, it is one we have avoided way too long. People shouting down other people on this issue isnt the way to handle it.

Funny how a state that flys a flag that represents "hate" has shown the rest of the country how to handle these cases with total class.  I am very proud of the south and the carolinas for laying the blue print on how to deal with these issues.  

With that said there is no better time to take it down and burry this damn hatchet for ever, while every one has come together.  I know as a southern white male i dont need a flag to have a since of pride for where i have come from.

The problem here is the actual state government, that is supposed to represent everyone in that state, flies the flag. We aren't talking about the public, we aren't talking about a club or church. We are talking about the government. Should a US government be allowed to fly a non-US flag that obviously is a slap in the face to so many of its citizens. 

makes you wonder how the indians feel tho..

someone correct me if I am wrong, but

this is the confederate flag

us-csa13.gif

and this is the Battle Flag of Virginia

confederate-flag-tm.jpg

I think most people are ignorant to what the flags actually stand for.  It's more a symbol for southern pride.  Ignorance and white supremacy groups like the KKK made the flag into a symbol of racism.

Since we can't be hypocrites, let's start taking the American Flag down also. Slavery was alive and well under the Stars and Stripes. 

I just find find it very comical that everybody thinks taking down 1 flag is going to solve all our racial problems in this country. It's like the flag walked into the church and did the crime. 

Since we can't be hypocrites, let's start taking the American Flag down also. Slavery was alive and well under the Stars and Stripes. 

I just find find it very comical that everybody thinks taking down 1 flag is going to solve all our racial problems in this country. It's like the flag walked into the church and did the crime. 

I was wondering if any racists would show face in this thread.

us-csa13.gif

confederate-flag-tm.jpg

I think most people are ignorant to what the flags actually stand for.  It's more a symbol for southern pride.  Ignorance and white supremacy groups like the KKK made the flag into a symbol of racism.

Why do you think the KKK and other hate groups chose to use this flag? Because it was the most identifiable symbol of the Confederacy. They didn't just randomly pick a flag from history. It was understood that the Battle Flag of the Army of Northern Virginia = Confederacy = Slavery = Hate

us-csa13.gif

confederate-flag-tm.jpg

My friend the south was like that before even the KKK started. Also the flag has more resemblance to England's flag than USA ?

It's embarrassing and eye opening to return from South Africa, a place with very serious and complex race issues, to this and have friends there ask me if it's really this bad here. Unfortunately the answer is yes. They have some real issues with race in terms of its influence on power and politics but we take the cake in regards to ingrained hatred.

That flag should have been gone for years and it shouldn't have taken more than good will to all citizens to do so. 

I agree completely. Our country was built using theft, genocide, and on the backs of the poor and marginalized... don't need to look further than "old glory" for a reminder.

That said, I came for quotes about the skronghold and am disappointed.

ftr the battle flag was pretty much a forgotten relic of the war until the KKK picked it up in the 1950s and 60s as a political symbol of their opposition to desegregation. this poo should've been buried half a century ago.

Archived