• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bucky Brooks: Top 10 OCs in NFL

Mr Mojo Risin

McDermott is #5 on the defensive coordinator top 10 and honestly he has an argument for #1.  If the Panthers have another top 10 defensive unit in 2015 (which is pretty damn likely) he will almost certainly get a HC gig.

when we're a run heavy team, any multiple receiving options (i read that 3 or more) tells the defense that were passing. 

Not defending shula, but it sounds like he's being very creative. It's just not jiving with what you think it should be. 

P.s. glad the huddle still refuses to go a week without bashing our coaches. Evidently we have a lot of unemployed nfl caliber coaches here on the huddle. We are blessed.

Whether a team knows we are about to pass or not should not affect creativity. We are not going to run all game. Teams playing IND knows that the pass is coming yet they are unable to stop them due to a combination of routes run by their WRs. I mean Chud schemed more passing yds out of Newton with the likes of Legedu Nanee etc.

Shula has had a 1/4 of the talent to work with than these other guys. This year he has some good talent to work with so let's not just judge yet.

this is true, but some of his play designs and calls have been butt assed awful. I like Bersin as a possession guy, but he was dialed in as a #1 in a playoff game vs the best defensive backfield on the planet.  Cotchery was used on a go route more than any sane person would, and he had many play calls that were either 30 yards down field or screens, no intermediate routes to be found.

this is his last chance, make this roster work or he's in the unemployment line.

For example in that Bene INT, there were only two short routes, nothing up top. All those two throws were susceptible to underneath coverage and as we saw, Bene intercepted it. Why don't you send for example Greg down the seam at least to stretch the linebackers and keep the safety deep? That way the underneath zones are clearer.

this is a hype list.  A list of names people know.  That's about it.  

McDaniels' departure and re-emergence with the Patriots is all but unprecedented but it's an interesting control - how was a top QB without him, and how was he without his top QB? 

I don't like Roman either, but in the end he does a decent job at running an attack heavy on the run, difficult nowadays and something that makes you maligned by most, and yet it fits what his team wants.  Same with Shula, Bevell, others.   An OC's job isn't to be #1 in passing yards, it's to win the most games. 

when we're a run heavy team, any multiple receiving options (i read that 3 or more) tells the defense that were passing. 

Not defending shula, but it sounds like he's being very creative. It's just not jiving with what you think it should be. 

P.s. glad the huddle still refuses to go a week without bashing our coaches. Evidently we have a lot of unemployed nfl caliber coaches here on the huddle. We are blessed.

The Panthers did run out of 12 personnel a lot, but not really those formations - a split out TE is, for all real purposes, 3 WR for this team, and they ran out of that a ton.  

I read earlier today commentary on an article praising this team's varied formations and disguises for runs and passes, and someone commented "I wish Shula would do that".  And it was about what he was doing.  

Whether a team knows we are about to pass or not should not affect creativity. We are not going to run all game. Teams playing IND knows that the pass is coming yet they are unable to stop them due to a combination of routes run by their WRs. I mean Chud schemed more passing yds out of Newton with the likes of Legedu Nanee etc.

once again...slowly this time. 

Shula is being creative. Just not in the that you, others, and even myself would like to see more of. 

Considering it's still the off season though, i will hold back from bashing a coach for something that is perceived he isn't doing during this coming season.

once again...slowly this time. 

Shula is being creative. Just not in the that you, others, and even myself would like to see more of. 

Considering it's still the off season though, i will hold back from bashing a coach for something that is perceived he isn't doing during this coming season.

Meh... I disagree. Our passing game has not looked creative in the least bit. Hopefully I'm wrong about the upcoming season.

this is true, but some of his play designs and calls have been butt assed awful. I like Bersin as a possession guy, but he was dialed in as a #1 in a playoff game vs the best defensive backfield on the planet.  Cotchery was used on a go route more than any sane person would, and he had many play calls that were either 30 yards down field or screens, no intermediate routes to be found.

this is his last chance, make this roster work or he's in the unemployment line.

While on the surface those things seem stupid but we do not know the whole story. We were void of talent in the WR department last year and we had only Brown to give us speed. So I'm sure players ran dummy routes all year. People never talk about how Shula used Fozzy as a extra WR and it worked well or how he adjusted to Cam's play last year. While I don't think Shula is a great mind like McDaniels  he is solid and much better than most.

Archived