• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bucky Brooks: Top 10 OCs in NFL

Mr Mojo Risin

I'm not creating this just to bash Mike Shula because I hope this year he can quiet some critics with the improvement of our offense and a healthy Cam Newton. I just find it interesting that we could have hired Hue Jackson instead of promoting Shula and Hue comes in at #4 on this list while Norv Turner (whom I and some others really wanted) comes in at #2. What could have been.  Anyways here's the list.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000498248/article/todd-haley-norv-turner-among-top-10-offensive-coordinators

Why can't the children of great men be at least a portion of what their fathers were?

I blame women.  They corrupt the seed with their crazy X chromosomes.  

Maybe I'll move to the middle east.  I think they're on to something over there.

I've defended Shula quite a bit but I lost hope when I saw that formation in minicamp that Bene picked Cam off on. Cotchery in the backfield and only two WR on routes when we have at least 4 solid options in KB, Funchess, Brown and Olsen? It's obvious he can't draw creative schemes with multiple receiving options. 

I will say this, we are not very explosive, or overly flashy but considering our lack of offensive talent could you really expect our offense let alone the coordinator feature a top 10 offense??

2013-Smith, LaFell, Ginn, Hixon, a revolving door at running back as both Williams, and mainly Stewart spent time injured.

2014-Injured Cam, KB, Cotchery, Avant, Brown, same deal as injuries plagued the team, and we featured an OL with 3 UDFA’s and a converted DT.

Given the inconsistencies on offense 2015 is the first of what could be years with a consistent group of offensive personnel as the only player likely to leave in two years is Stewart (he’ll hit 30 as a running back)

Given our reliance on ball control, and defense I’d like to see the NFL’s league leaders in T.O.P. because with the roster the last couple of years it was the best way to compliment our defense given a lack of ability to match touch downs with the more prolific offenses.

I think keeping Shula kept Cam out of the rut many young QB’s face on bad teams, like multiple offensive coordinators, keeping Shula allowed our playbook to remain the same while the philosophy leaned more on the run and T.O.P. Cam has now run this offense for four years.

While Jackson, and Turner are sexy choices, they were former head coaches and with that may have come a level of ‘’this is what I do’’ vs what’s best for this teams personnel. IMO last season no matter who the OC was you can only get but so much outside of the lack of talent we had across our skill positions.

Out of 11 positions, only Cam, Stewart, Olsen and Kalil (4) were proven threats, because none of us expected 1,000+ yards and 9 TD’s from Benajmin which along with Olsen’s career year, and Stewart’s resurgence allowed us to be just effective enough down the stretch to back into the playoffs at 7-8-1. So while it’s nice to make that splash, there’s something to be said about consistency in the meeting rooms, in the offense, and growing your team internally especially when the players have a good rapport with the current staff.

I've defended Shula quite a bit but I lost hope when I saw that formation in minicamp that Bene picked Cam off on. Cotchery in the backfield and only two WR on routes when we have at least 4 solid options in KB, Funchess, Brown and Olsen? It's obvious he can't draw creative schemes with multiple receiving options. 

when we're a run heavy team, any multiple receiving options (i read that 3 or more) tells the defense that were passing. 

Not defending shula, but it sounds like he's being very creative. It's just not jiving with what you think it should be. 

P.s. glad the huddle still refuses to go a week without bashing our coaches. Evidently we have a lot of unemployed nfl caliber coaches here on the huddle. We are blessed.

Archived