• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Wasnt there talk of Funchess looking so good in OTAs that..

PanthersUnited

He might even have a chance to outperform KB and become the no 1 while KB moves to no 2. I could have sworn that during OTAs and rookie camp I heard countless times on here that Fuchess an his route running in particular looked way far ahead than KB's did at this same point..

I can't remember who or the exact words but I know for a fact some on here were praising just how good Funchess and his route running and hands were, what happened?! Did he have a major drop off at training camp or something? I also know for a fact some said he looked so good he could even force KB to no 2.

I thought that evaluation was a little premature and overly optimistic. I'd sure like for it to be true, but I think we'd better wait and see how he looks in games. Two catches for 53 yds. in the Buffalo game was a good start, but now the defense doesn't have to worry about KB. 

He might even have a chance to outperform KB and become the no 1 while KB moves to no 2. I could have sworn that during OTAs and rookie camp I heard countless times on here that Fuchess an his route running in particular looked way far ahead than KB's did at this same point..

I can't remember who or the exact words but I know for a fact some on here were praising just how good Funchess and his route running and hands were, what happened?! Did he have a major drop off at training camp or something? I also know for a fact some said he looked so good he could even force KB to no 2.

Dude, you do know that it normally takes time for receivers to develop and come into their own? It has been discussed here, and Rivera and Proehl have basically said as much in reference to Funch over the course of camp.  Moreover, Funch is learning to play all the positions of WR from what I assume can only be on an intimate level.  He has a a lot on his plate. All this being said, no one knows if Funch will develop into our main x receiver, or rather that will be Benjamin's sole domain. The WR1 or WR2 classification in many ways is immaterial.  We need dominant receivers. From what I've gathered about Funchess from reports is that he has the ability to be dominant, especially once his mind and body catch up with the speed of the game. 

Jeremy offered pretty high praise for Devin during OTA's.

I don't think anything "happened". Funchess showed promise, and he still does. But like any other rookie, he's going to have to learn as he goes.

Funchess simply came into a very different situation compared to KB last year, we actually have some established depth at the position now, he didn't have to come in and try to prove himself as a #1 from the get go. In 2014, expectations about being our #1 WR were placed on Kelvin almost immediately, who else did we have? Though there were very few people who predicted the production level that we witnessed from Kelvin Benjamin last season.

If Funchess can develop a rapport with Cam quickly, I think he can certainly have a productive rookie year for us.

I did say that long term Devin could take over the #1 role,  still think its possible. No where did even hint to it being this season. 

Devin looked better in OTAs than training camp.Might have something to do with Ricky saying he needs to use his size more. Much more contact in training camp than OTAs.  

Overall, and yes I know this is early, I can definitely see Funchess as the opening day #2 receiver. But you know what? Here is the shocker.... I could see him as an eventual number one as well with Kelvin Benjamin being the second receiver. Funchess looks every bit as good at this rookie camp as Kelvin did last year at his. There is still a long way to go, but this initial look was very encouraging.

There's a difference between #1 or #2 WR and the X or Y WR. The numbers mean nothing. The point I made several weeks ago was that KB is better suited off the line while Funchess may be better suited offset from the line. KB enjoys being physical off the line. Not a trait for what people consider a #1 WR. I wasn't saying Funchess would be "better" than KB. Just that they have different styles and the style Funchess has is more suited to the colloquial #1WR. But again, the players don't identify themselves as 1 or 2 or whatever. They are designated as X, Y or Z.

Archived