• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Mesopotamian Mythology and the 2015 Carolina Panthers: A Critical Analysis and Best Case Scenario

Jeremy Igo

Excellent read.  Thanks!

I was interested in your reference to the sack stats in 2014 and the 2015 preseason.

Here's a fun stat for you. Number of sacks allowed in 2014's preseason: 10 (with countless QB hurries and an injured franchise quarterback.) Number of sacks allowed in 2015's preseason: 5 (despite about a 20% increase in total number of snaps.) Obviously there are too many variables to suggest the offensive line will allow half of last year's sacks, but given what the team was starting last year it's not really that much of a stretch.

I've also been struck by how few sacks we've allowed this preseason.  It got me doing some number crunching.  I'm about to post my findings in a new topic. 

There's not a perfect correlation between low sacks in the preseason and low sacks in the regular season.  But, there is an intriguing pattern with very low sacks in the preseason (both in absolute numbers and as a % of offensive plays) matching our best winning seasons, while we had an extremely high level of preseason sacks in 2010, when we went 2 - 14.

I wonder if the low preseason sack level correlates somehow with a greater level of preseason intensity & competitiveness which translates into success in the regular season...  Anyway, one of those stats that makes me go "Hmmmm..... that's interesting."

• Pie 1

thanks for the opportunity jeremy! i'm pretty excited about this.

you all may notice some technical quirks in the article (formatting stuff, mostly) which are a result of transferring the article through different editors. this should be resolved by next week.

I actually didn't like this post I quoted. Kinda sucked actually. But I pied it based on the epic novel you wrote. Nice job dude!

• Pie 1