• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ron and the Panthers Locker Room

brainless wuss

I don't like this. Players aren't supposed to be buddy-buddy with the coach. Was Ditka buddy-buddy with his players? The playersr should be intimidated by their coach.

When he coached the Cowboys, Jimmy Johnson would sometimes cut a guy just to prove a point to the guy. He was an asshole around his team. They were scared and had to toughen up.

But when the Cowboys won two Super Bowl titles, they carried him off the field. They loved him for it.

If this article is true, how is a player supposed to show discipline the coach is hamming it up and talking about puppies? Would Parcells do this? Would Bill Belichick? Did Bill O'Brien do that during Hard Knocks?

Couple of days in and you're already worse than PU....

I don't like this. Players aren't supposed to be buddy-buddy with the coach. Was Ditka buddy-buddy with his players? The playersr should be intimidated by their coach.

When he coached the Cowboys, Jimmy Johnson would sometimes cut a guy just to prove a point to the guy. He was an asshole around his team. They were scared and had to toughen up.

But when the Cowboys won two Super Bowl titles, they carried him off the field. They loved him for it.

If this article is true, how is a player supposed to show discipline the coach is hamming it up and talking about puppies? Would Parcells do this? Would Bill Belichick? Did Bill O'Brien do that during Hard Knocks?

you can fault his shortcomings as a tactical coach all day, cause there are several of those. But you cant discredit the fact that everyone on this team would run through a wall for him, and if you dont see the value of that then im not sure what to tell you

Good insight.

People will follow a guy they respect into battle.  A guy they don't care about, not so much.

That's why guys like Harbaugh have a short shelf life.  Like a parent who yells all the time, you start getting tuned out.

ummm, what are u talking about? Harbaugh was adored by his players as well. You watched too much TV last year, and didn't do enough reading for the truth. 

Article was great though, and insert that's my HC .gif

From the article...

One thing I've always liked about Rivera is that he's genuinely capable of learning.  that doesn't mean he won't repeat mistakes, but he has shown a capacity to accept that sometimes he might be wrong.

I think this is a good approach.

Agree.  This is one one of the things I really like about him.  

I believe he must be a secure person to do what he is doing.  It takes strength to seek out ideas and be willing to make changes.....and you admit you have made mistakes.  Also that he does not shy away from feedback, but welcomes it.

I do not get the idea that he is trying to make everyone happy or be a buddy, but that he willing to be creative to find ways to develop as a better leader.  I would guess that this also takes a lot of his time.  The players likely respect the fact they they are important to Rivera as a person and not just a guy with a jersey.

Anytime you hear a player talk about this team, they mention playing as a team together as a team and for each other, and what a great atmosphere it is here.  Allen said he felt it right away.  That does not happen by accident.

Rivera seems like a hell of a person.  Perhaps he is becoming a hell of a head coach too.

ummm, what are u talking about? Harbaugh was adored by his players as well. You watched too much TV last year, and didn't do enough reading for the truth. 

Article was great though, and insert that's my HC .gif

Axtually, I read the numerous articles where players complained about Harbaugh, and I watched his team decline.

Tom Coughlin is another example.. He was nearly booted from his job before he finally agreed to lighten up.. The Giants Super Bowl trophies under him came only after that. 

See also: Greg Schiano, Jon Gruden

After I read this all I could think about was Greg Schiano

Archived