• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Stephen A. Smith believes we should apologize to Steve Smith

nctarheel0619

Except that he has 3- 100 yard games already this season, he's currently 10th in the league in receiving and he's playing with 4 micro-fractures in his back. 

if we were 1-5 our WRs would have more yards than they do.   It is gonna help his yardage from a career perspective this year that Baltimore sucks, plays from behind, and only has him to throw to.

much props to him playing w/ his injury.  That is vintage 89. 

if Baltimore didn't have the worst record in the AFC and the Panthers weren't nearly as successful as they have been thus far in the season, no doubt Smith would still be taking shots at Carolina. There's only one thing Steve Smith ever really cared about in the NFL and that is Steve Smith. He is an immensely talented player but he was a shitty teammate.

None of us actually know what kind of teammate he is.  We can only infer that he might not be a great ex teammate.  There haven't been many comments about him from his ex teammates, maybe one or two, but that is about it.

That being said, I don't really care what kind of teammate he was or is.  When a team releases a player, it should be handled professionally.  He should find out about it from the team first, in the GM or coaches office with some dignity.  If he doesn't handle it well, then so be it.  But the team should handle it the right way, particularly with a guy who has been with the franchise so long and stuck with us when we were not good and never demanded to be traded.   

SS took one little comment from DG about everyone being evaluated, and it turned into a full blown media shitstorm resulting in his release. Then in true SS fashion he used that release as a personal slight to motivate him and light a fire under his ass to perform at a very high level.

To further prove and illustrate this point, he took a few PFT opinion articles and a tweet from his own son about going back to Carolina, and blew it out of proportion with an Instagram post claiming he was born to be a raven and he absolutely is not coming back and blah blah blah. 

Steve Smith has always been a tremendous player but eve his most devout followers can acknowledge that he conjures up perceived slights toward him to fire him up to take his performance to the next level. 

Funny how I never heard any boos coming from the BOA stands when he played in Carolina.... but he leaves and suddenly he's the worst thing that ever happened to the team. 

As I stated, I'm not advocating his return to the team by any stretch, but what he's done with his career should be respected and admired, regardless of your personal feelings. 

I don't particularly like anything about Michael Jackson, ever, but I gotta give him his due respect for an amazing career. 

None of us actually know what kind of teammate he is.  We can only infer that he might not be a great ex teammate.  There haven't been many comments about him from his ex teammates, maybe one or two, but that is about it.

That being said, I don't really care what kind of teammate he was or is.  When a team releases a player, it should be handled professionally.  He should find out about it from the team first, in the GM or coaches office with some dignity.  If he doesn't handle it well, then so be it.  But the team should handle it the right way, particularly with a guy who has been with the franchise so long and stuck with us when we were not good and never demanded to be traded.   

we don't know that. There were reports he cleaned out his family luxury box back in 2010 or so. I don't pretend to know whether or not he was a good teammate, but none of us know any requests he may have made to the team. 

I'm going to comment on this again.  We don't need Steve Smith.  On paper it looks great - Smitty returns home to make a run at a championship on the team he helped put on the map.  But behind the scenes it's a terrible idea.  The Panthers have one of the best locker rooms in the NFL and one of the biggest reasons for that is because they got rid of Smith.  

YOU DON'T FIX WHAT ISN'T BROKEN.  

If smitty was a good guy and a team player like, say, Thomas Davis, he'd still be here.  He will never get it, though, and that's why it's poetic justice that he's in the cellar of the league to end his career.  He's a loser.

This. We have multiple players on our current roster that prove you don't have to be an insufferable asshole in order to dominate at your position. 

First off I don't know who "we" is. In times like the Steve Smith situation, that's David Gettleman and Steve problem with each other. I didn't like how it particularly when down personally, but if or when they sit together as men and discuss it, that'll happen and that's between them.

I don't see the point of trading for Steve and Steve made a good point about being rented for a Superbowl that isn't guaranteed, he'll rather retire and I definitely see his point of view. So he made it clear trading for him will be a waste of time.

Funny how I never heard any boos coming from the BOA stands when he played in Carolina.... but he leaves and suddenly he's the worst thing that ever happened to the team. 

As I stated, I'm not advocating his return to the team by any stretch, but what he's done with his career should be respected and admired, regardless of your personal feelings. 

I don't particularly like anything about Michael Jackson, ever, but I gotta give him his due respect for an amazing career. 

There's a time and a place to look back and have good memories about Steve Smith.

What you Smitty disciples don't get is that time is not now and won't be at least until he hangs up the cleats, maybe even longer than that,.

As Jase said, it's fitting that he gets to spend his last years on a bad team racking up numbers. He's much older now and would expect the locker room to be the way it was when he left, and that's never going to happen.

Archived