• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

ATL's decision to kick a FG with ball on 49ers 1 yard line with 3 minutes left...

Darth Biscuit

11 minutes ago, CarolinaSunday said:

His logic doesn't make sense to me. If you're so convinced you can stop them and get the ball back, what's the harm in trying for it? Worst case is that it's a turn over on downs. Stop them then. You also would potentially have a better field position since they'd have to start their drive so far at the end of the field. They'd have to have an excellent punt to put you in a difficult position.

Also, if you get a safety or a turnover so close to your endzone, you're in pretty good shape.

My thoughts exactly.

This is really old style Vince Lombardi/George Allen thinking.  He took what he considered to be the less risky course.  With the way the rules have changed since 1970's and 1980's (when points were at a premium), this was the best course.  Now though, if you are in position to get a td, you have to take a chance.  The offense has to much of an advantage anymore. 

The 49er's had been a terrible offensive team this year. You take the sure defense, make sure you keep the worst offense in the league from getting a first down, run a two minute, get to the 35 and kick a game winning field goal. The logic is easy to understand.

However, even if you don't get it from the one yard line, the offense is extremely limited in what they can do from that point. 

On the one hand, I could sorta see the call.  Trust your defense as a defensive coach to get you the ball back against a poor offense.

But, at the 1 yd line, down 6, if you don't get it, you still have the same chance to get the ball back and the niners start at the one.  It's definitely the wrong decision and reminds me of mike smith from last year.

Further it shows no confidence in your offense which looked so good earlier in the year.  Quinn may turn out to be a good coach, but that was the kind of decision that will get you fired (I know he won't get fired unless they just implode but still).

When you compare coaches, Ron going for it, Even Chip Kelly going for it on 4th and 2 on the 50 in overtime followed by wins that come off the confidence are just plain inspirational coaching.

kicking a field goal knowing your defense has to old them from getting even one first down to get the ball back just to get a Hail Mary is just plain ignorant and a loosers errand.

Atlanta is totally imploding and it's so fun to watch. 

42 minutes ago, w280sax said:

On the one hand, I could sorta see the call.  Trust your defense as a defensive coach to get you the ball back against a poor offense.

But, at the 1 yd line, down 6, if you don't get it, you still have the same chance to get the ball back and the niners start at the one.  It's definitely the wrong decision and reminds me of mike smith from last year.

Further it shows no confidence in your offense which looked so good earlier in the year.  Quinn may turn out to be a good coach, but that was the kind of decision that will get you fired (I know he won't get fired unless they just implode but still).

They were down 4 not 6... not that that would have mattered too much to me...  but still.

40 minutes ago, JARROD said:

When you compare coaches, Ron going for it, Even Chip Kelly going for it on 4th and 2 on the 50 in overtime followed by wins that come off the confidence are just plain inspirational coaching.

kicking a field goal knowing your defense has to old them from getting even one first down to get the ball back just to get a Hail Mary is just plain ignorant and a loosers errand.

Atlanta is totally imploding and it's so fun to watch. 

I am sincerely hoping that this results in the team losing confidence in the coach because he clearly doesn't have confidence in them.

6 hours ago, SOJA said:

Quinn is a defensive guy- decision doesn't surprise me at all

If the Falcons were the legit team they claim to be they shouldn't have even been in that situation and they still lost.....to Blaine Gabbert. 

For reference, some people considered Blaine to be one of the biggest top 10 QB busts of all time before this game. 

I know its one game but the way he was moving in and out of the pocket and his delievery reminds me or Aaron Rodgers. He could be a decent QB if they let him play out.

giphy.gif

30 minutes ago, sanjay_rajput said:

I know its one game but the way he was moving in and out of the pocket and his delievery reminds me or Aaron Rodgers. He could be a decent QB if they let him play out.

giphy.gif

I'm going to hold off on comparing him to the best qb in the league but he definitely was improved. and pie for the gif 

Archived