• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Good article on Gettleman

sharkkiller

With the cap, you have to let young guys develop. And oh, by the way, they’re human beings. They’re going to make mistakes. You’ve just got to keep coaching them. Again, that’s where the character comes in.

This. This. This. A thousand times this. With things like Madden & fantasy football fans forget that the team is a collection of human beings subject to all the foibles that come with that. Unfortunately some owners have recently forgotten that too. 

I'm so glad Gettleman is our GM & Rivera is our coach with their philosophies. They say football is a game of inches. Yes, but it is so much more: a game of strategies, of having the right personnel.

We go to a pancake place, sit down, get coffee, and I looked at Ron and said, “Are you ready for our blind date?”

He also knows how to set the right tone lol. He must've been a big hit with the ladies in his youth. ;)

IMO what sets him apart from many of the other GMs is he comes in with the attitude to build a team that FITS the coaches scheme.  If you have a coach and his philosophy and you just draft players but they don't fit his scheme than you are wasting his and your time.   And if you pull a Cleveland every year you falter and fire the coach.  Well now you have to strip half the roster to fit that new coaches scheme.   Think about it.  How did we get Greg Olsen.  Mike Martz was the coach of the Bears and his scheme didn't use a TE.   We stole him and then Martz got fired. Chicago is without their first round PRO BOWL TE.  You know they must be regretting that trade.

I remember a couple of years ago we had members fussing about how McDermott was running his defense and I made a comment "wait until he gets the players that fit his scheme"   This defense dictates to offenses.   We don't just play to stop them.  We tell them what we will give them and dare them to beat us that way.   This because we have players on defense that fit our scheme.   The number of free agents DG has picked up that fit this defense is amazing. 

I love the article BTW.

20 hours ago, TheRumGone said:

I remember a lot of us were talking  after daves first press conference that leadership of a football team started from the top and the dude got it. From his comments about cam having to win from the pocket to be successful. How he put everyone on notice, how he strengthened competition in training camp from day 1. How he cut older fan favorites and did not give a fug what anyone thought.

a ton of fans were very resistant to a lot of this stuff and his northern accent. What he has done here has been incredible. Thank you JR and accorsi for finding the right guy.

He set a standard that had not existed previously. 
Performance > All Things

Archived