• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Brandon Marshall:"Panthers did everything we saw on film"

Chris1

of course we did. why change? especially at halftime when it was obvious nothing we did was working? lol

even fox's superbowl team figured that one out.

shula reverted back to bad shula.

he wasn't the only problem, but he could have done things better.

Shula has a brilliant offensive strategy.

ONE brilliant offensive strategy, and if that gets shut down due to defensive gameplanning and limitations of offensive personnel (WRs can't get separation OTs can't block their man) he can't make adjustments.

He's like Chip Kelly with less hype.

Someone else asked what happened to the Jumbo packages etc--- well?  What happened to the reverses? What happened after our field goal drive where we finally started throwing and running misdirection to take advantage of their relentless over pursuit?

Where was the no huddle and giving Cam plays to call himself at the line? 

We DID change-- we stopped doing what was working for us.

This offense had just put up 31 & 42 points against 2 of the best defenses in the league.  We got outplayed in one game by a defense that put up an all-time great performance.  

The offense had multiple chances to win the game.  Some of it can be put on play calling, but the bottom line is that if they executed like they had in 17 out of 18 weeks, we would have won.

Why in the world would Rivera not have confidence in Shula after he oversaw an offense that led the league in scoring without their #1 receiver?  The Panthers have made the playoffs every year Shula has been OC.  Of course that is not all due to Shula, but it's not all in spite of him either.  If Cam didn't believe in Shula, he never would have been made OC in the first place.  A lot of people fail to realize this.

This team didn't get Shula'ed in the Super Bowl.  We got beat because the Denver defense out executed our offense, forced turnovers, and we turned the ball over on our own.

3 minutes ago, Seltzer said:

This offense had just put up 31 & 42 points against 2 of the best defenses in the league.  We got outplayed in one game by a defense that put up an all-time great performance.  

The offense had multiple chances to win the game.  Some of it can be put on play calling, but the bottom line is that if they executed like they had in 17 out of 18 weeks, we would have won.

Why in the world would Rivera not have confidence in Shula after he oversaw an offense that led the league in scoring without their #1 receiver?  The Panthers have made the playoffs every year Shula has been OC.  Of course that is not all due to Shula, but it's not all in spite of him either.  If Cam didn't believe in Shula, he never would have been made OC in the first place.  A lot of people fail to realize this.

This team didn't get Shula'ed in the Super Bowl.  We got beat because the Denver defense out executed our offense, forced turnovers, and we turned the ball over on our own.

I think it's a mix of execution and playcalling. Sure, the players had a bad day, but at some point you have to try different things to see if SOMETHING is going to work/help the players overcome whatever they were facing. That's where I think Shula fell a bit short, particularly in the passing game after seeing what kind of pressure Denver was getting all game.

That said, I agree that the offense had opportunities and that a better day execution-wise could have beaten Denver. Heck, changing nothing except the outcome of those Cam's two fumbles - even keeping the sacks themselves - or even only Tolbert's fumble completely changes the complexion of the game.

This is a coaching staff problem. Not a Shula problem.

Ron Rivera and the minions have shown that without familiarity with an opponent their game plan will be bland and have nothing to do with exploiting favorable match-ups or guarding against poor match-ups. Ron is a great defensive mind and it continues to show however Shula is an average offensive coordinator at best. The games that we had the least familiarity with the opponent were the games we struggled most in this year and that shows a lack of imaginative ability on behalf of the coaching staff.

We should never get Cam to the line of scrimmage with less than 10 seconds on the play clock.  Seems like every terrible play that happened this year occurred on a rushed snap.  I thought we had put this issue to rest but it reared its ugly head again in the SB with Cam getting to the line of scrimmage with only a few seconds left on the clock on many occasions.  Don't know where the issue lies but we need to get it corrected permanently.

8 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

I think with 6 illegal motions, 4 fumbles, an interception, horrible tackling on a punt return, and a missed field goal, its 90% execution.  But blaming the offensive coordinator is what virtually every fan base does when their team loses. 

I didn't go back to count exactly how many mistake we made because I can't bring myself to rewatch it just yet, but your point is spot on.  Those are a LOT of mistakes the Panthers made that they didn't typically make.  The 4 fumbles will haunt me forever.  Even with our own dominant defensive performance that gets lost in the wash, it would be hard to overcome that against any opponent, much less a team like the Broncos.

Archived