Jump to content
  • Welcome!

    Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

    Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

    Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

     

  • panthers-redskins-1.jpg

A Josh Norman holdout looming?


Jeremy Igo
 Share

Recommended Posts

Great breakdown to explain what exactly is going on and the possible scenarios that could occur.

I'm of the opinion that he won't be at OTAs unless he has a long term deal signed. There is also pretty much no chance a long term deal gets done before the start of OTAs. If one was to get done then it will almost certainly happen right at the 7/15 deadline. There were like 3 deals signed that day last year by franchised tagged players. Therefore, I have zero expectation that Josh is at OTAs. I know it's not normal around here for someone to skip them but it is standard practice in the NFL for players that have been tagged to not go to OTAs. It's really not a big deal. Also, if we don't get a deal done with Josh by the 7/15 deadline then I fully expect him to sign the franchise tag and be there for the start of camp.

Based on absolutely nothing except my own intuition, I'd say there is a 90% chance he ends up playing on the franchise tag in 2016, 9.99% chance he gets a long term deal done before the deadline and a 0.01% chance he signs a a long term deal before the start of OTAs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If he holds out he forgoes the millions in franchise tag money and loses a year.  If he signs the tender he still loses a year of his prime before hitting the open market.  Even if he does maintain his excellent level of play next year, his hopes of a high dollar long term contract will take a hit because of his age.

Either way he plays this, the Panthers have the high ground in this negotiation and time is not on Josh's side.

He absolutely should push for every penny, but hitting the market at this high water mark for him is not gonna happen.  The Panthers are his best bet for money, success and security.

....IMHO

  • Pie 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, TheNewStandard said:

I told y'all he was gonna hold-out. I hate saying "I told you so."

if he's holding-out, it's because he's worried about being injured or having a poor showing. 

He's not worth his asking price...there's no way around it. There's just no way that he gets a Kuechlyesque contract, that would hamstring us for re-signing Short and any other player that is considered as a core player on this team.

Josh can be considered a core player. And yes he is worth it. All that stuff you were babbling on about his character and impact were the ramblings of an emo 12 year old. 

Josh was a 5th round pick, he's had to climb his way to the top in every single program he has been in. Anyone who says anything about Josh wanting his market value and being upset about a long term contract need to look in the mirror and ask themselves that very question in their own job markets. My guess is the ones who question Josh's integrity and character still live in mommas basement and use daddy's credit card. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A few things that I would  do in this situation.

1:  Sign the tag, how much did JPP miss out on last year by not signing?

2:  Skip anything that isn't mandatory, or costs me any money.

3:  Make sure I'm ready for TC, and push my agent to make a long term deal, even if a bit lower than what I want.

  • Pie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

A few things that I would  do in this situation.

1:  Sign the tag, how much did JPP miss out on last year by not signing?

2:  Skip anything that isn't mandatory, or costs me any money.

3:  Make sure I'm ready for TC, and push my agent to make a long term deal, even if a bit lower than what I want.

JPP actually gained money by not signing the tag. Had he signed it prior to his fireworks accident then the Giants could have put him on the non-football injury list for the entire year and not paid him a dime. The reason he waited so long after the accident to sign was so that he could force the Giants to clear him physically before signing so they couldn't do that and thus guarantee that he would get paid.

  • Pie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

Josh can be considered a core player. And yes he is worth it. All that stuff you were babbling on about his character and impact were the ramblings of an emo 12 year old. 

Josh was a 5th round pick, he's had to climb his way to the top in every single program he has been in. Anyone who says anything about Josh wanting his market value and being upset about a long term contract need to look in the mirror and ask themselves that very question in their own job markets. My guess is the ones who question Josh's integrity and character still live in mommas basement and use daddy's credit card. 

Takes one to know one. That's all I'm gonna say about your little temper-tantrum.

Josh is not worth his asking price. We'll probably get a 2nd round CB in this draft and it won't take him 3+ years to get where he needs to be to start and make plays regularly. Just look at Coleman, he came out of nowhere and had close to the same type of year that we got from J-no.

I have a feeling you'll stop banging that drum for J-Bo once he's decided to holdout.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, KSpan said:

Would you go in today and take a voluntary 15-20% pay cut at your job? People have this notion that since a few more zeros are involved no one should care about money, but everyone wants to be compensated what they believe they're worth, particularly if the market supports it. Plus, while unlikely the possibility does still exist that a player could be severely injured or even crippled on any given play and never make another dime in the NFL.

Unlike guys like CJ who have made bank and can feel comfortable leaving some money on the table, Norman has never had a big contract and this will pretty much be his only shot. I don't blame him one bit for looking to maximize his earning potential.

This can't be said enough.  People act as if josh should play for less money.  He's been making 5 round money the whole time which in the grand scheme of things isn't poo.  He should get every dime he can from an organization.  Just won't happen to be ours.  I'm happy for Josh regardless of what happens.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, RoaringRiot said:

Can you imagine if this gets ugly and Josh misses a few games? Gman's history with franchising players would be very bad. 

Hardy was not his fault...the decision was JRs. 

The longer Norman holds out, the less time we have to pick up a solid replacement and that's the department where DG is aces.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You don't become a winning franchise by signing players on the back end of their careers to high dollar contracts.  I love Josh and wish him the best, but if he is expecting to be one of the highest paid CBs in the league, he can do that somewhere else. 

8-10 million per year, for 3-4 years is a solid contract and I am pretty sure is in the ballpark of what Gettleman is offering.  Josh has stated he wants franchise QB money?

If an agreement can't be reached, I would honestly look at a sign and trade scenario.  Maybe other teams would be willing to pay out that much and we could benefit as a team.  Our secondary is a product of our front 7.  I don't think Josh excels like he does here in another system.

 

 

  • Pie 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...