• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sorry. Gettlemens Draft This Year Blows

chknwing

Draft value is a myth. There's no such thing. You make a list of the guys you like in the order you like them, with emphasis on position, and when it's your pick you take the top guy on the list. What other teams do or where some dumbass message board poster thinks a player 'should' be taken has no bearing on if something is a good pick or not.

2 minutes ago, zacka77ack said:

I'm not gonna judge the players. I can't, don't know enough about them or scouting in general. All I will say is I was SUPER excited for the draft yesterday at 8pm. Butler was a rotation player picked in the 1st round. "Eh I guess" I said. "Still some solid players left for Rounds 2 and 3."  So I was then excited about the draft at 7pm tonight. And now...I'm no longer excited. I won't even be watching tomorrow. 

Thanks for letting us know you won't be watching tomorrow.  We can now all sleep better knowing this.  Geesh

16 minutes ago, chknwing said:

throw what in my face? he didnt get good draft value.  

How in the living hell would you know that THE NIGHT THAT THEY WERE DRAFTED?

That's just a ridiculous and premature statement.

If one or both corners become starters and productive NFL players, then he got GREAT value, no matter what the media says in their fancy table that you seem to worship.

4 minutes ago, KillerKat said:

I just hate how everyone tears each other down for expressing their opinion on the draft. You can actually have a discussion with someone you don't agree with.

Some opinions are well-informed.

Some opinions are just bitching and whining.

Equal respect does not have to be given to both.

All I'm saying is if we wanted a corner we could have drafted this dude in the 6 or 7th, nobody has even heard of him. We reached for a small school guy and we got terrible value. How do you even pronounce Benwikere that's not a name

2 minutes ago, MadHatter said:

Thanks for letting us know you won't be watching tomorrow.  We can now all sleep better knowing this.  Geesh

It was more a commentary of my excitement waning for this draft. It's not all about you, squirt. The worlds a big place and ... Wait let me check here ... Yep.  It doesn't revolve around you.

6 minutes ago, tiger7_88 said:

How in the living hell would you know that THE NIGHT THAT THEY WERE DRAFTED?

That's just a ridiculous and premature statement.

If one or both corners become starters and productive NFL players, then he got GREAT value, no matter what the media says in their fancy table that you seem to worship.

value, in the sense of the draft means a prospects ranking based on where they selected.  yes every teams board is different but theres not a single prospect ranking I have seen that says that they were any wheres close to where gettlemen drafted them.  He liked them.  I think he panicked about getting the cbs he wanted and not letting the draft play out. he reached and he reached hard for both of them.

Most media members also had Andrew Billings as a mid-first rounder...he's still on the board. Connor Cook was supposed to be the 4th QB taken, a potential first rounder...still on the board while Brissett and Kessler have jumped him. We just don't know how each team viewed these guys. 

Anyway, these players don't really have "value" until we see how they do. That's that BS instant draft grade mindset. People may say the Cards got great value with Nkemdiche at 29, who was at one point considered a top 5 pick, but is he really valuable if he flames out? 

Was getting an All-Pro guard in the 3rd a couple years back not good value just because he went a bit higher than projected? 

Everyone flipping out over this draft needs to stop and think before overreacting. We do this literally every single year. Cam Newton was considered a massive reach when we drafted him (we drafted a qb in the second round the year before).

Luke Kuechly was drafted even when we had Jon Beason and many criticized the pick and fumed over not picking cox. Many were outraged over picking Kawann Short when we already drafted Starlite Lotulelei. Kelvin Benjamin was reach when many had him in the second round. Shaq Thompson and Devin Funchess were criticized as not needs and reaches.

Dave Gettlemen picked two corners who have incredible potential and fit our scheme. We lost our star Corner in the offseason, our offense was #1 in the league despite not having our #1 receiver and our defense needed help in the secondary and in the trench. Butler gives us leverage if we can't sign Star or Short. The two corners we drafted can help fill the void of losing Norman. Do we still have weaknesses? Yes, but we not only kept the team that went to the super bowl intact but will have a formidable team built to endure for 4 or 5 years. Unlike the 49ers who were the hottest team in the nfl like fireworks were gone almost immediately. Our dominance of the NFC south will be unquestioned.

I thought I would chip in now if you will excuse me I'm going back into the shadows and mourn our loss. Yes it still hurts like hell.

If we've learned anything over the last several years, it should be to sit down and shut the fug up when Dave Gettleman is drafting football players.  This man lives and breathes player evaluation 24/7.  Questioning his decisions on draft day is foolish. 

Just sit back, enjoy the draft, and bitch about the busts that don't pan out once a few years have passed, like the rest of the Captain Hindsight's around here.  More fun that way. 

Archived