• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Release Boykin

jdpanther5

Just now, EightyNine said:

Maybe it looks bad, but thats not a reason to keep him.

No need for anyone to be that upset over a guy who cant stay on a roster for one reason or the other.  I think people are upset because this guy got over hyped, and now people think we lost a good player.  The fact that he was cheap should make you guys feel even better.  It's not like we wanted him but decided to cut him because we wanted the extra money.

Stop.  He was the top nickel corner out there.   He had many offers.  It probably wanted to come here to compete.   He's a GREAT nickel cornerback that we had for cheap and let him go for a bunch of guys with 0 NFL experience.  It just makes no sense unless this guy has physical issues or something.  

Bene Benwikere (N)

James Bradberry

Daryl Worley

Zack Sanchez (N)

Shaq Richardson (N? - he's 6' FYI >> Bigger than Boykin 5'10'')

Robert McClain

I'm as surprised as anyone but I think the mindset is if we like the rookies and perhaps Sanchez specifically as the nickel, why waste a season of on field experience? With Boykin on a one year deal and potentially playing himself outside of what we'd offer next off-season this makes perfect sense. 

For reference here is Shaq's Scouting Report-

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/shaquille-richardson?id=2543779

Yeah this is a bit shocking to me. But, I guess it's also an indicator of something to come. Either a CB we like more who is coming in, or the coaches/Gettleman just love the rookies that much. 

We shall see, but can only trust the GM and coaches on this one. They typically know what they're doing...and hopefully do this time.

Just now, Sam Mills Fan said:

You got my ass. I wanna say it's a little disturbing when I think about how long it must have taken you to find those threads, but you got me. I can be reactionary. Thankfully I haven't made a thread like that in 3 years.

it took like 15 seconds really

it's all in good fun though, this board would be boring if it wasn't for that

2 minutes ago, Zaximus said:

Stop.  He was the top nickel corner out there.   He had many offers.  It probably wanted to come here to compete.   He's a GREAT nickel cornerback that we had for cheap and let him go for a bunch of guys with 0 NFL experience.  It just makes no sense unless this guy has physical issues or something.  

Exactly. People are already trying the revisionist history crap, but when you check out the thread where we signed him, people were jizzing in their pants out of excitement.

2 minutes ago, PanthersBigD said:

If he's riding the bench behind one of our rookies, or splitting time with them, that's not a really great way to highlight his skill set for another team. This works out better for everyone. Just my opinion. 

Very good reasoning.  Makes sense.  Hopefully it does work out better for Boykin.  Hope he finds a good team where he can have a good long career as a valued player.  He's been messed around quite a bit in the past year...  Tough life being a somewhat expendable role player on an NFL roster.  Can't put down roots.

Archived