• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Question for the day 1 fans

Moose87Banks

I'm only 23 and hopped on the Carolina bandwagon during the 1st Super Bowl run when I was 9. Have been loyal since and I can't remember a time in my fanhood that we were so disliked by other fans around the league. Everyone at my university is brutal towards me. My social media Panthers feed is lit up with other fans yapping about how horrible we are. Any of you older fellas think this is as bad as the hate has gotten? I'd love to know.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

6 minutes ago, Moose87Banks said:

I'm only 23 and hopped on the Carolina bandwagon during the 1st Super Bowl run when I was 9. Have been loyal since and I can't remember a time in my fanhood that we were so disliked by other fans around the league. Everyone at my university is brutal towards me. My social media Panthers feed is lit up with other fans yapping about how horrible we are. Any of you older fellas think this is as bad as the hate has gotten? I'd love to know.

Been a fan since 95 and I live in Illinois. All my years growing up people never bashed the Panthers or said bad things to me. I always just got the same question: why do you like them? I am surrounded by Bears fans who sort of like us because after all, they sign all of our guys we cut. I am also surrounded by Colt fans. Most of them still think they have Dwight Freeny and hey are the best team in the league every year. They were still nice and never really said much to me. It wasn't until we drafted Cam that I started getting crap every day. It wasn't until we drafted cam when everywhere I social media people were bashing the Panthers and had a hate fetish for them. Colt fans hate Carolina because they think Luck is better and they are jealous. Bears fans around here still respect Carolina (maybe it's because Rivera and Peanut and Jared Allen)

I have never experience this much trash talk until Cam. I guess it's because people weren't afraid of us until we got Cam and Luke for that matter. I embrace it. I always like villains in comics so I'm good with it. If they are booing us and hating on us, we are doing something right.

Bottom line is: we know this is a first class ball club. We have great players and great men on this squad. I am proud to be a Panther fan.

20 minutes ago, Moose87Banks said:

Jealousy and ignorant youth. Most of them will grow out of it, hopefully. Just KEEP POUNDING. And when we suck again, keep being a fan.

The most hate I've seen but I use the term hate loosely. Like others have said I think it comes with being relevant. Think of any popular team, athlete, celebrity. Everybody has an opinion and most times it's either love/hate. 

I can actually have a discussion with some random stranger about the Panthers now. When you turn to the guy using the urinal next to you and ask "What did you think of Jake Delhommes performance yesterday"? It doesn't stir up a lot of conversation. 

"What do you think of Cam Newton"? Much more of a conversation starter and it's normally split 50/50 love/hate. 

Day one fan. For most of the last few decades the frustration has been how dismissive other fans are. Oh you are a Carolina fan? How many rings you got?

Well yes Redskins fan from from Fort Mill "you" do have more rings than my team. Of course the last one you got was before "my" team was in existence. And since then you have been a non-story.

The Cam hate is real. Had one guy calling Cam a douchebag for flossing today

Success and Cam Newton. We've never had sustained success before now, and being a small market team, we ain't moving the needle with Kerry Collins or Jake Delhome. 

Cam Newton is the most polarizing player in the league right now and arguably the most polarizing ever. 

So many people want so badly to believe (and to justify their desired prejudgement) that he's an awful human being when the worst thing he ever does is dance and talk trash (all on the field).

Some of it is a media directed narrative. Cam Newton is one of the best and most exciting players in the league. And just like any format of entertainment, you need a villain and someone to pull against.

It's not going to end... that being said, I don't even try to defend it anymore. I don't care what other fans think. We have the most dynamically talented QB in league history, a great coach, and a great GM. Not to mention arguably the best defensive player in the league.

We are poised to be successful and relevant for the foreseeable future. I love this team and truly don't care about anyone else's opinion. There is certainly an element of "They hate us cause they ain't us."

What I can't tolerate is the brutal hits that were allowed (and implicitly encouraged) by the refs. I am disappointed Rivera and Panthers brass hasn't come out stronger against it.

There is no one to blame for the loss- we had our chances. But allowing a QB and especially the MVP to be treated like that with impunity is one of the most effed up things I've ever seen in sports. 

WTF is this thread? You know when it was worse? When we were trying to decide whether Matt Moore or Jimmy Clausen was the better choice to limp arm it 15 yards into a defenders hands for a pick 6. Or when getting swept by the Falcons was a regular occurrence. Honestly man, this place has been pathetic the last couple of days but this has to be the worst. 

36 minutes ago, London Loves Luke said:

WTF is this thread? You know when it was worse? When we were trying to decide whether Matt Moore or Jimmy Clausen was the better choice to limp arm it 15 yards into a defenders hands for a pick 6. Or when getting swept by the Falcons was a regular occurrence. Honestly man, this place has been pathetic the last couple of days but this has to be the worst. 

I think he was asking if this is the most "hated" we have been. Not necessarily how bad the times were for the team in general.

But to answer the OP, it's simply success mixed with Cam Newton. A lot of hate comes from jealousy.

I think it was Drake who said (and I'm sure he got it from somewhere else) that "jealousy is just love and hate at the same time."

Fans of other teams wish they had our success last season; they wish they had a top 6 defense and a franchise game changing talent at QB: but they don't.

So they are just jealous. The outward display and what is admitted is the hate, but deep down...they know they respect what we have...oh they know.

Archived