• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

We got better at every position other than WR

panther4life

Kalil > Remmers. Both got grossly overpaid due to supply and demand. Jury is out on Kalil until the season gets rolling but no way he can be worse than Remmers. Very similar to Oher replacing Bell in 2015

Mike Adams may be the most under rated move thus far. Coleman went from being a monster FS to a jag at SS. Now he can go back to his natural position and we can remove Boston from the field. This move actually upgrades both safety spots even if it is just a short term solution for SS.

Peppers for 1 year vs Ealy for 1 more year = a win. Plus securing Addison on a very fair deal and promoting him to a starter is awesome. Retaining Johnson and Horton also means we didn't go backwards which is good. Plus we moved up 8 spots in the draft. Every fan has memories of a coveted player going just a few picks before our selection and this at minimum reduces that risk and could foreshadow a move up in the draft. I think we may stay put at 64 but try and see if we can package our later round picks to get back into the middle of the third. Would be amazing to have 4 picks in the top 75 and drop the other late round picks that rarely do us justice. Hell i'd argue we fair better in the undrafted pool than we do from the 4th round on under Gettleman.

Special teams. Retaining Colin Jones and Adding Shepard as well makes us better on that front. 

Nickel Corner, Captain was never an all pro and I don't know if his play declined at all in Minnesota or not but he's more than just a Jag at the position which = a win.

WR- I posted in another thread but I'll say it again Brown and Ginn saw way more snaps than anyone in the last 2 years. Even when Benjamin was healthy they were 2nd and 3rd in snap counts. 

Charles Johnson should be able to replace Brown but we don't know that until he hits the field. Shepard was mentioned as meeting with the special teams coach already and that seems to be his main objective with us. Possible he can contribute at WR, but not wise to expect him to produce much more than Bersin has these past couple years. 

A major upgrade is needed here. Simply put Benjamin is the only receiver to fully earn the trust as a full time starter. Don't take my word for it, just look at how much more playing time Ginn and Brown got over Funchess. 

So where do we go from here? I'd love to add another vet presence like Boldin or even Cruz. However we cant stop there. We should either make a trade for an upgrade or take another stab at at a WR in the draft. *cough* Cory Davis *cough*

If you're curious, Charles Johnson is more a Ginn replacement with slightly better hands. Athletic freak who just needs a QB that's half decent to shine.

Shepard is more of a Brown replacement, but with so much upside. His floor is being a solid Philly. His ceiling is becoming a name.

I've wanted Boldin forever, it's clear it's never going to happen so this offseason i gave up on that. The signings of Shepard and Johnson essentially point towards Gettleman not wanting a vet slot guy. 

As far as the draft goes I love John Ross' game. The injuries scare the hell out of me but he brings everything we're lacking in our WR group. 

He's so much more than that straight line speed that most speedsters are known for. I see a lot of Desean Jackson in him but I'd even go as far as saying Ross has a lot more shake to his game when the ball is in his hands.

That end around Ross scores on against Arizona was stupid. Dude had nowhere to go and created an outside lane for himself by getting the corner to bite on a inside move. 

I mean god damn. Then there's the play where he leaves Adoree on his ass at the LOS. 

Ross creates so much separation regardless of where the ball. I've seen this guy get 3 yards separation on plays ran from the goal line. Ross is able to get separation because you have to RESPECT his speed, so if he gives you that step inside of the line you almost have to bite.

Ross / KB / Charles Johnson could be worth a shot

4 hours ago, panther4life said:

Kalil > Remmers. Both got grossly overpaid due to supply and demand. Jury is out on Kalil until the season gets rolling but no way he can be worse than Remmers. Very similar to Oher replacing Bell in 2015

Mike Adams may be the most under rated move thus far. Coleman went from being a monster FS to a jag at SS. Now he can go back to his natural position and we can remove Boston from the field. This move actually upgrades both safety spots even if it is just a short term solution for SS.

Peppers for 1 year vs Ealy for 1 more year = a win. Plus securing Addison on a very fair deal and promoting him to a starter is awesome. Retaining Johnson and Horton also means we didn't go backwards which is good. Plus we moved up 8 spots in the draft. Every fan has memories of a coveted player going just a few picks before our selection and this at minimum reduces that risk and could foreshadow a move up in the draft. I think we may stay put at 64 but try and see if we can package our later round picks to get back into the middle of the third. Would be amazing to have 4 picks in the top 75 and drop the other late round picks that rarely do us justice. Hell i'd argue we fair better in the underrated pool than we do from the 4th round on under Gettleman.

Special teams. Retaining Colin Jones and Adding Shepard as well makes us better on that front. 

Nickel Corner, Captain was never an all pro and I don't know if his play declined at all in Minnesota or not but he's more than just a Jag at the position which = a win.

WR- I posted in another thread but I'll say it again Brown and Ginn saw way more snaps than anyone in the last 2 years. Even when Benjamin was healthy they were 2nd and 3rd in snap counts. 

Charles Johnson should be able to replace Brown but we don't know that until he hits the field. Shepard was mentioned as meeting with the special teams coach already and that seems to be his main objective with us. Possible he can contribute at WR, but not wise to expect him to produce much more than Bersin has these past couple years. 

A major upgrade is needed here. Simply put Benjamin is the only receiver to fully earn the trust as a full time starter. Don't take my word for it, just look at how much more playing time Ginn and Brown got over Funchess. 

So where do we go from here? I'd love to add another vet presence like Boldin or even Cruz. However we cant stop there. We should either make a trade for an upgrade or take another stab at at a WR in the draft. *cough* Cory Davis *cough*

I agree with what you said, except for Coleman being a jag at SS. He started off a little rocky to be sure, but picked it up the latter part of the season. His play was definitely underrated on the Huddle. In any event, he can move back to FS where he was one of the better ones in the league.

I'm not overly optimistic about Shepard or Johnson, but there are varying degrees of upside with both, particularly CJ2 in my opinion. We have a bunch of unproven guys at the position who have done little to dispell the notion that they are little more than jags so far in their relatively short careers, except for KB. I'm hoping that at least a couple step up, but that doesn't preclude me from thinking that we need to invest in a quality receiver in the first two or three rounds. Not even the addition of Cruz or Wright will get me off that tip.

12 minutes ago, Saca312 said:

If you're curious, Charles Johnson is more a Ginn replacement with slightly better hands. Athletic freak who just needs a QB that's half decent to shine.

Shepard is more of a Brown replacement, but with so much upside. His floor is being a solid Philly. His ceiling is becoming a name.

You are such an optimist! How did you feel about the Tiquan Underwood signing a few years ago or the Norwood trade? It's easy to take the glass half full look as a fan so not saying you're wrong for doing so, I just don't want Gettleman to pat himself on the back as much as you do and feel like were solid at receiver. Possible we can make do but plenty of room for improvement and we need to keep pushing ahead in that regard. 

6 minutes ago, top dawg said:

I agree with what you said, except for Coleman being a jag at SS. He started off a little rocky to be sure, but picked it up the latter part of the season. His play was definitely underrated on the Huddle. In any event, he can move back to FS where he was one of the better ones in the league.

Coleman is one of the worst tackling safeties in the NFL. To call him a JAG at SS is being generous. Take it and run

I'd love to know what we think of Corey Davis. I don't think that pick is out of the question if we like him. Our WR signings consist of a STer and a guy we just took a flier on. The fact Gettleman only signed Johnson to a one year deal speaks volumes. He usually goes with two year deals to protect us in case the player actually performs well.

Just now, PantherWake said:

We need WRs more than DE imo but its close

Immediate need, I agree. Long-term, I see them as about equal needs.

Long-term, I see our top 4 needs as DE, WR, RB, and S in no particular order. I don't think it's a coincidence that this draft his deep at all four of these positions.

18 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

Coleman is one of the worst tackling safeties in the NFL. To call him a JAG at SS is being generous. Take it and run

Being that I have no way to prove your assertion, I'm taking it with a grain of salt. Coleman is coming off one of his best years tackling in this league, and the second consecutive year where he's had approximately 90 tackles, and of course lead the team with INTs, so I'd say he's largely done his job, but for a rocky start to 2016.

Archived