• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

VIDEO: Every Run By Fournette From The Shotgun

Saca312

Fournette is a pretty darn good runningback, but there has been criticism lately concerning his ability from the shotgun. The Panthers offense has all too often used the shotgun as our primary offensive stance, and it shows with just 9.2% of Cam Newton's snaps being from center. Our offense has utilized the shotgun in our scheme, and any runningback we're planning to add must have some form of ability from such a position.

Leonard Fournette has been touted to be one of the worst from the position, but is he truly that bad?

Well, that's for you to decide.

A video compilation of every run by Fournette from the shotgun. 

From this, draw your own conclusions, and discuss.

Just now, Chief Keek said:

He seems pretty comfortable to me, also it appears that he salvaged a lot of those plays because he was getting met in the backfield by D-lineman.

Doesn't take sharp cuts or very elusive, so it's obviously not his forte, but he doesn't seem as bad as everyone is making him out to be.

He uses his power and size more-so than finesse.

I've changed my opinion back. I can assume he'll be fine from that area. No wonder the Panthers are looking at him.

I'll also add this insight. We all know LSU has been the worst kind of nightmare offensively the last few years. Harris, their former qb, just transferred to UNC and in his first interview discussed learning things from a CONVERSATION with the QB coach that no one had taught him in 3 years as a starter/player for LSU. 

Baton Rouge may be a big time program but they have been terrible for the offensive players who have been there recently. If we see THIS kind of play from Leonard Fournette now, I can only imagine what a competent or even halfway competent coaching staff could get out of him. 

21 minutes ago, Saca312 said:

Fournette is a pretty darn good runningback, but there has been criticism lately concerning his ability from the shotgun. The Panthers offense has all too often used the shotgun as our primary offensive stance, and it shows with just 9.2% of Cam Newton's snaps being from center. Our offense has utilized the shotgun in our scheme, and any runningback we're planning to add must have some form of ability from such a position.

Leonard Fournette has been touted to be one of the worst from the position, but is he truly that bad?

Well, that's for you to decide.

A video compilation of every run by Fournette from the shotgun. 

From this, draw your own conclusions, and discuss.

Thank you for this. I didn't watch very many lsu games the past couple years and wondered how he looked from gun. From those runs, he looked solid. Runs real hard and it's hard to bring him down. I think from those clips every team just keyed on him and him alone because LSU couldn't pass very well from what I have read about them. If he were to come to us, teams couldn't just key on him, we have too many threats. That would play in his favor. Like I have said, I don't want him to be our pick, but if he is, I'm cool with it.

Didn't look that great to me. I want them to get away from that shotgun option. We fumbled a couple times and could have been more. I hate that play about as bad as throwing a wr screen straight across to the sidelines. Them plays never work for us. If they are truly wanting to protect Cam and evolving our defense those option plays will be gone and he will snap more from center. After watching that I would say he will not be the pick at 8.

Sent using the amazing CarolinaHuddle mobile app

Every time I watch a clip of Fournette, I have visions of the fear defenses would feel having to face both Fournette and Stewart for a whole game...and that doesn't even take into account the times they will need to tackle Cam. 

Teams will be bloodied and bruised after playing us.  I'm sure you'll see more than one guy back off on trying to tackle them when they get a head of steam going, especially in the later stages of the game after taking constant body blows.

He is a good north south runner that would do well behind a dominant offensive line. He was only average getting away from first contact and not very shifty or elusive.  I just don't see that he will be that dominant in our scheme behind our line.  I would rather have someone with more shake and bake and sudden explosiveness. Don't know if he is out there.

Archived