• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

2017 Panthers Mock Draft 3.0 (All Rounds) - My Final Say

Saca312

Read All Prior *Very Dated; January* Mocks Here:

NFL-Draft-pic1.jpg

It's nearly here! Just a good night's sleep, and the first rumblings of actual football content of interest finally begins with the NFL Draft beginning tomorrow night. Draft obsessed fans all around the world will tune in, hoping their team takes a snag at their dream prospects that they believe will give their team a shot at making it to Superbowl 52. 

The Carolina Panthers have had a very disappointing season, ending 6-10 after a magical 15-1 run. After Gano's missed kick to begin our dumpster fire of a season, it was just completely sickening to see what they've become, knowing that the Panthers were far better than their record. Nevertheless, the NFL Draft presents its opportunity to help retool any team with some fantastic prospects, and the Panthers are sure to take advantage.

As such, I believe it only to be fair to bring about a whole new updated mock draft of my own prior to draft night. Since the last time I even made one was January (3 rounds only as well), I figured I should come along and present a whole 7 round mock for your enjoyment and deliberation.

I will be accounting for Igo's word and other insiders concerning the first few picks to ensure a slim bit of accuracy in here, then go from there with other picks I think the Panthers may be interested in/would fill in holes, along with prior experience in my own participation on other site's mock drafts.

In this mock draft format, the first three picks will feature highlights, while the rest will just feature my thoughts and some other analysis I saw. This is to prevent a very cluttery post, while still giving out some quality content.

So, without further ado, here's the Panthers 2017 mock draft:

Round 1 Pick 8 - RB Leonard Fournette

First of all, I doubt we're trading up for Fournette. I just don't see it. From all the rumors that seem to be swirling around, I just don't believe Gettleman is considering trading up high for him. In fact, it's very logical that Fournette WILL drop to us.

Here my thought process on why that will be the case.

So, the only three teams that could possibly ake Fournette ahead of us are the 49ers, Bears, and Jaguars. The only team that would trade ahead of us for him seems to be the Bengals with their obsession of him. The 49ers have been blowing so much smoke, but I read something from an insider a while back that mentioned that their GM may be secretly hoping for Jamal Adams, while others say it's deliberation between Thomas and Tribusky. Fournette just appears to be a complete smokescreen.

The Bears supposed interest is definitely a smokescreen, unless they're just that stupid. No logic in that when they have Jordan Howard.

In the other spectrum, the Jaguars seem to be interested in anyone BUT Fournette. @Verge has made it very clear that his NFL scout source says that it's between OJ Howard, Cam Robinson, QB Deshaun Watson, and a D-line prospect. The Chicago Tribune reports back up this statement. A RB will be likely taken in the later rounds, as their GM has "gone out of his way to defend them," so it's very unlikely Fournette goes to them ahead of us.

The Bengals have been reported again and again to be in a race against us to get Fournette. I find it amusing they want to ruin their franchise so eagerly with that much of a pointless pick, but anything goes. With the Jets very uninterested in just trading down 2 or 3 spots, the Bengals will likely find themselves in a pickle of being unable to leapfrog us. We should be ready and in the clear to take Fournette without worry.

So, with my explanation on why Fournette will definitely drop, I'll finish off with a nice sneak peak at the type of player Fournette is.

20141108_gma_ah6_478.jpg-42d5c6e5a5f8f9482ab0555df1ad67b8

A punishing runner, Fournette's greatest asset is his attitude as a finisher. He plays with the self-awareness that he's big, strong, and fast, Unlike Ron Dayne, Michael Bush, Brandon Jacobs, and a host of runners that linebacker-turned-color analyst Chris Spielman has been exhorting for years to "know thyself", Fournette understands that he is a weapon of blunt force trauma.

acdff1c0-76a0-11e4-9e07-d7fc9bc2114f_FournetteTruckstick.gif

He will lower his pads and accelerate through the contact of defensive backs, linebackers, and some defensive ends. He wants to be the first to hit in a collision, and he understands that if he hits first, he has a greater chance to control the interaction in his favor.

One of the qualities of Fournette's game that complements his size, speed, and physical, attacking style is his footwork. What Fournette does as well as any elite back is stride variation. His ability to change the length of his stride at top speed is as good as any big back that I have watched. It's like watching a 185-pound wide receiver running a stem at top speed, but in a frame that's 230-240 pounds. Fournette's stride variations allows him to subtly alter the angles of pursuit so he can run by them, dip under them, and - most often - plow through them.

His running is a bit of an optical illusion in this respect. Yes, he's a powerful man, but he does a good job of eliminating direct angles of pursuit and many of his spectacular highlights are the product of Fournette creating optimal collision angles so he wins the leverage battle with his pads, his ferocious stiff-arm, and his knees.

Leonard Fournette running over Auburn

Fournette's receiving skills provide additional value. A sure-handed receiver, he tracks the ball well over his shoulder and with his back to the defense. He also executes the back-shoulder routes and maintains possession through physical contact.

giphy.gif

LSU didn't have the passing game to exploit this skill with the frequency than an NFL team can. With Fournette's speed and physicality, he'll be a tough draw against linebackers up the seam or wheeling out to the flat after a play-action fake.

He's also a versatile presence on passing downs. Fournette loves to inflict punishment on blitzers. He's a ferocious chipper and he loves to square-up and lower his shoulder into oncoming defenders in one-on-one assignments.

giphy.gif

How He Fits The Panthers

Fournette is an excellent running back prospect. If his legs stay healthy, he has what it takes to earn 1500-1800 total yards and double-digit touchdowns for at least a period of 3-5 years when it hits his prime with All-Pro & Pro Bowl seasons. As long as he enters in an offense that will highlight his strengths, he'll be worth his draft capital and more. The Panthers have primarily ran zone last year, but talks of evolution has made me consider that Fournette could help us achieve that.

I've been saying for a few weeks that I'm completely fine if we pick Fournette or McCaffrey, as both will force our offense to evolve in one way or another. Fournette will bring back a very traditional run game of pounding the ball, and allowing far more play-action roll-outs that we rarely see from Cam. This will keep the pressure off of Cam and then help pressure Cam in a positive way to become more of a pocket passer. 

He's a good compliment to Stewart to help spell him out for some downs as a one-two punch back. On zone-read plays, we can employ Stewart and have Fournette as our power option on first downs and so. We could convert our offense to help everyone evolve and get better, and Fournette could be a step in that direction. If Stewart ever gets hurt again, we have a pro-bowl caliber backup ready to hit the train.

A pick you won't hear any complaints about.

Past Analysis On Fournette

Round 2 Pick 39 - S Obi Melifonwu

A defensive pick we're certainly interested in, and someone I believe could be a very solid 2nd rounder in hopes to train him up as our future at SS. I predicted he'd be a borderline first round prospect back in the day, and I was proven right.

Obi Melifonwu has some amazing combine numbers and even broke some records. He's a true athletic specimen with some decent tape to boot. The above video breaks down nearly all the amazing qualities that Melifonwu a truly great prospect.

At 6-3, 220 lbs, he's got a good frame as a strong safety. Coming from UConn, there's virtually no highlights for this guy, who yet leads his team with interceptions (4) and tackles (118).

So, without further ado, here's some nice information on Obi:

1. He's One Heck Of A Tackler

giphy.gif

Obi Melifonwu breaks on the ball and forces an incompletion, coming from around mid-field. He shows manly physicality with his huge hit, intelligence with diagnosing the play, and speed to make a play. He brings all these quality traits together to deliver and prevent a big play.

He's definitely got the physical traits to be successful.

2. His Coverage Is Fantastic

giphy.gif

In the slot, Obi stays tight with his slot receiver, showcasing textbook coverage and breaking up the ball. He stuck like glue to his guy, and made a good play on the ball. Not many can combine such a frame with this coverage ability, but Obi does it effortlessly.

He's certainly got a lot of potential to wreck havoc in the NFL.

3. He's A Speeding Train

giphy.gif

In this replay, Obi comes out of nowhere, speeding in between tackles, to come smash down the runningback to no-gain. He shows amazing speed and great tackling form to smack down this runningback from making an impact. He shows yet again his great football IQ in diagnosing the play and figuring out a way to smash down the runningback.

He's certainly a physical beast.

How He Fits The Panthers

He provides near instantaneous depth at a position in dire need of it. Heck, he's even great as corner depth. He'll be a project year one, but his upside is as high as any of the great safeties in this class. His athleticism is off the charts, and his game compares a lot to a certain Seahawk safety we all know of.

He provides security, depth, and a future to a position looking to become one of the best in the coming years. Obi has the size to matchup with the big receivers of the NFC South. I feel like he'd be a quality pick around here.

Round 2 Pick 64 - DE Derek Rivers

A very intriguing prospect who watching more and more of brings me away thinking he may be one of the top DEs from this class. This small school wonder just screams like a possible Panther DE monster ready to decimate the league. His pass rushing is top-notch, and his potential is sky high.

Rivers gave himself quite the reputation during the Combine and pre-draft processing. He tested into the 80th percentile among NFL edge defenders, per 3 Sigma Athlete, and. He is a smooth athlete who is extremely pliable in his lower half, and a guy with a whole lot of potential.

1. His Speed Is Blinding

GIF

In this replay, you will notice Derek Rivers timing his jump exactly and turn into one of the quickest gears I've ever seen. He flashes blinding, ripping speed and slips past by the OT like he were nothing. His amazing speed helps him get an easy and swift sack.

You really don't see this much from some prospects, but he really does have some great speed. He shows his ability to track down the QB and smack him down hard.

He showcases blinding speed and potential in this replay, and gives me confidence he would help bolster our pass rush from our DEs. However, the following replays help showcase his potential as a technician in the pass rush game.

2. Solid Pass Rush Moves

ezgif.com-video-to-gif.gif.c51130aca804449a11788b48dced93b9.gif

Although he does not come with a sack, the impact is evident. Derek Rivers comes in with a sweet snatch move to come in and pressure the QB. The QB is forced to account for the potential sack and move up in the pocket. If he were on our team, Kuechly or Davis would be ready to come in and smack him down hard. Attacking through the pads, Derek Rivers wins the matchup.

He's a very quality technician, with ability to utilize pass rush moves like hand combative moves (like a club over) and attacking through the pads (like sling-shot). He could easily have solid impact in the NFL.

3. Improvising At Its Finest

5901334e37c4f_ezgif.com-video-to-gif(1).gif.c2c317955e2e39042ac0066e9eaee604.gif

In the following replay, Derek Rivers attempts a bull rush and counters with a snatch when the RT tries to anchor. A very beautiful array of steps that forces the QB to throw early and attempt to get away. The QB lucks out, but a very beautiful array of pass rush moves all in one.

Derek Rivers has the ability to change gears and moves when circumstances avert his original aim. A quality the Panthers would love to have in its future DE.

How Does He Fit The Panthers?

The Panthers could use some youth and future prospects for the DE position, and Rivers provides that confidence. A quality pass rusher, Rivers can come in day one and become part of a rotation of stout DEs and learn behind them. Employing him on certain pass rushing situations will help give him the game-time experience to become a force in the future. He can learn behind Johnson and Peppers and help refine his tools to get ready for year 2 when he'll have more of a front role.

One of the most well-rounded edge defenders in this class, Rivers has a bright NFL future ahead of him. He has the potential to put up double-digit sacks in the future.

Derek Rivers is a name no one should sleep on. The Panthers have shown through visits and workouts that do have interest in the kid. He could easily be in play as early as our first second round pick, but he'll likely be available if we stay put and wait until here. 

Round 3 Compensatory Pick 98 - WR ArDarius Stewart

A very intriguing prospect. A very high quality WR with potential to do some big damage in the NFL. A guy who'd be able to fit in the slot real quick and do some huge damage, his elusiveness and play-making ability makes him a very good prospect in the NFL. An underrated name with big time potential.

In the slot, he's a sure handed receiver who knows what to do after the catch. He plays like he's 6'3" 225lbs, and he has a mean attitude on the field. A monster who'd help elevate any WR corps, he'd come in and improve the Panthers immediately. His speed and ability to play slot makes him a perfect deep-zone replacement and threat.

Stewart is a complete receiver. In addition to catching the ball, he is also a very good run blocker and can run the ball out of the backfield effectively. Stewart plays bigger than his size and has the jets to take it to the house. His big play ability makes him one of the more interesting receivers in the draft, he consistently made plays for Alabama and would have made more if not for Alabama’s reserved passing attack and freshman QB. A supremely talented prospect underutilized at Bama, but unlike his counterpart in OJ Howard, his tape shows a guy who has the traits to take it to the next level.

It’s not just his athleticism, but his vision and understanding of defensive leverage that make him elite. He can be given a reverse and, seeing the defense has him outflanked where the play is designed to go, cut up field. He can be thrown a screen and read in a flash which lane gives him the highest chance of success. He has the vision of and tenaciousness of a running back.

GIF

Stewart plays the game with an edge, he likes to hit players in the mouth on crack blocks and drive receivers back, opening big lanes. He doesn’t just look to hold his blocks he is looking to finish them every time. On plays down the field, Stewart consistently comes back to the play and throws a block to spring the ball carrier for more yards. His effort is undeniable when you watch the tape, and he has the skill set to match his effort. He can come in and be a great addition to any NFL team’s run game.

GIF

A key aspect to any receiver’s game is body control and the ability to high point a football. The ability to catch the ball isn’t as simple as catches and drops, but how you catch it and can you make difficult plays. While Stewart wasn’t asked to make a ton of these plays, he showed good body control and the ability to high point a football. Stewart is only 5’11”, but he plays bigger than his size. His speed allows him to get behind the defense, but on under throws he can come back to get the ball. He has a large catch radius, showing the ability to catch the ball away from his body, including behind him, without it throwing him too far off stride.

GIF

Stewart’s route running is also a thing of beauty. He understands zone concepts and shows the ability to settle between zones. He also has the lateral quickness to break defenders down. He needs to develop his route tree further, but the routes he ran at Alabama were very successful. His acceleration and ability to get out of breaks will allow him to continue to develop in this area, and he will make for a very difficult cover in the NFL. He shows the ability both to separate from defenders on the deep ball and go over the middle and make catches.

GIF

How He Fits With The Panthers

Stewart comes in and fills in a need as a slot WR and deep threat. Helps build up competition immediately with his amazing qualities as a WR, and a game-changer on our offense for the better. Unlike his counterpart in OJ Howard, Stewart's film shows a WR who will excel in the NFL and not just based on pure potential. 

Stewart is a rare talent at wide receiver. Explosive play makers with great body control who are good route runners and punishing run blockers don’t typically go overlooked, yet somehow Stewart is. Trust me, he'll be a playmaker.

(Note: Following this round, the rest will just be quick write-ups with analytical videos up front when applicable)

Round 4 Pick 110 - TE Jeremy Sprinkle

An underrated TE Prospect, Sprinkle will help create a solid 2nd TE for the team. He won't be the flashiest, but he does everything right and well. In a sense, he's the TE version of RB Jamaal Williams, another underrated yet complete prospect entering in this draft. Sprinkle has the solid blocking traits and receiving traits to become a force.

He’s big, strong, and quick enough for the NFL. He catches the ball. Sometimes what catches the eye isn’t the physical traits or refined technique, but intelligent decision-making wrapped in an unrefined technical package. His intelligence is what showcases his true talent. He can diagnose the best ways to help an offense win and become a force. 

Here's PFF's breakdown:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/draft-pff-scouting-report-jeremy-sprinkle-te-arkansas/

Stat to know: Ranked 13th in the TE draft class with an 81.0 receiving grade in 2016.

What he does best:

• Consistent hands — only dropped five catchable passes combined over the last three seasons.
  • Added nearly 50 pounds to 210-pound high school frame, aiding his finishing 2016 with a pass-blocking grade greater than 80.6 in 11 of 12 games.
  • Sharp cutting and decisive out of his routes.
  • Quick enough to gain separation from linebackers off the line of scrimmage.
  • Can use his big frame to win at the catch point.
  • Athletic enough to win when lined up in the slot — 12th-highest yards generated per route run from the slot the last three years compared to draft tight ends.
  • Thrives on quick cutting routes — at least 20 percent of all targets on quick outs to the flat and 25 percent on crossing routes each of the last three seasons.
  • Athleticism displayed to attack the defenses second-level after collecting four of five catchable targets of 20 yards or more (averaging 26 yards per reception) since 2014.

Biggest concern:

• While his grading improved in 2016 as his pass protection snaps doubled in back-to-back seasons, over the last three years Sprinkle has averaged the 95th-ranked per-snap pass-blocking grade among draft tight ends.
  • 13th-lowest run-blocking grade per snap, last three years, versus draft tight ends.
  • Questionable lateral strength and balance in preventing quick outside moves.
  • Unable to increase receiving totals in 2016 despite nearly doubling his passing snaps.
  • Delayed offensive advancement could be the result of his backfield snaps dropping from 183 in 2015 to 2 after accumulating 25 percent of his total targets out of the backfield during 2015.

Player comparison: Julius Thomas, Miami Dolphins

Sprinkle, like Thomas, hasn’t displayed the lateral strength to maintain ground when run-blocking. Both provide adequate technique in pass protection and can be a reasonably dangerous red-zone weapon with above-average ability at quarterback. Consider that with QB Brandon Allen leading the offense, throws to Sprinkle generated a 128.8 passer rating in 2014, 122.0 in 2015, but witnessed a drop-off to 99.5 with Austin Allen under center in 2016 — Sprinkle’s “down” year.

Bottom line: Sprinkle has added the necessary bulk to play inline at the next level but, to see the field with any regularity, he will need work on his leverage to improve his blocking. He has the hands to be a threat in the passing game and significant special team experience (11 solo tackles in 2014-15 combined) that will allow him the roster time to improve his blocking mechanics.

How He Fits the Panthers

He helps bring back the Panthers a solid receiving threat in a #2 TE with quality blocking to boot. He's an intelligent man who will need some time to become the force he could be, and a quality technician. He'll slide in immediately in a #2 TE role, with upside to become Olsen's heir when the time comes.

Helps bring back our 2011 offense 2 TE sets immediately, and an underrated prospect who will do damage.

Round 5 Pick 152 - RB Tarik Cohen "The Human Joystick"

If there was ever a true position for a potential elite scatback, Cohen fits the bill. His speed and elusiveness/agility is off the charts. The tape speaks for itself the potential Cohen can bring for any team, and I think the Panthers would like him. A guy who plays extremely well in space, he's a must grab in rounds 5-6 if the Panthers want to add another evolutionary element to the offense.

The "Human Joystick" isn't an ironic nickname for Tarik Cohen. Give him open space and he's tough to catch. Tarik Cohen's "Human Joystick" moniker comes from his elite quickness and agility to create something out of nothing. Tarik Cohen has Williams' long speed and even better agility. He will be competing hard for a team's scatback role, and will likely thrive.

Small-school back who checks in at just 5-6 and 179 pounds, but was extremely productive at the collegiate level. Finished his career with 5,619 rushing yards. Dynamic player who can stop on a dime and accelerate. Ran 4.42 in the 40 at the combine. Extremely elusive with highlight-reel plays on the regular. Home-run ability with four scores of 80-plus in 2016. Capable receiver out of the backfield with 37 catches for 339 yards last year. His size is a concern, but Cohen has some of Darren Sproles’ electric ability.

Watch the above video if you want to get a full grasp of a potentially solid prospect.

How He Fits The Panthers

He helps bring competition as a scatback on the Panthers. He's got the quickness, elusiveness, and agility to thrive in that role and give Fozzy Whittaker a run for his money. An instant returner, he'll bring competition to a role the Panthers need more help in.

A quality player to help cap off a dangerous looking offense.

Round 6 Pick 192 - S Nate Gerry

A solid player that has been very productive. While not the most athletic, he makes up for it with his playmaking ability. Provides solid depth at the safety position with good upside in the NFL to make an impact. He's an excellent run defender and player where it counts, and just makes the plays you want from any safety.

Here's PFF's take:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/draft-pff-scouting-report-nathan-gerry-s-nebraska/

Name: Nathan Gerry

School: Nebraska

Position fit: SS

Stats to know: Third-best run stop percentage of all draft-eligible safeties.

What he does best:

• Excellent at working downhill in run defense out of a split safety look.
  • Improved tackler from his previous two years at Nebraska; went from 25 combined missed tackles in 2014 and 2015 to eight in 2016.
  • Has ability to read the QB allows him to attack coming forward and cut off routes to make big plays.
  • Four interceptions and six pass breakups in 2016.
  • Has the size, physicality and aggressive playing style to take on tight ends in man coverage.
  • Over the past three seasons opposing QBs completed just 51.5 percent of throws into his coverage and had a rating of 54.5 against him.

Biggest concern:

• Struggles to backpedal and run smoothly when playing at the back end of the defense; will stop his feet and consistently give up space in man coverage.
  • Lacks recovery speed once beaten off the break.
  • Not athletically adept enough to fill any centerfield role even if it is limited to a few times a game.
  • Struggles to get enough depth filling an underneath coverage role seems most comfortable going forward.
  • Speed, agility limitations would also make him a liability against the slot.

Player comparison: Kurt Coleman, Carolina Panthers

Coleman does not meet the standard level of athleticism of a traditional safety, but his aggressiveness and ball skills have extended his career much longer than was anticipated when he came out of Ohio State in 2010 and was selected in the seventh round.

Bottom line: Gerry’s best and only fit seems to be in a split safety role where he is hardly ever asked to play single-high free safety and is limited in his deep coverages. He can play half the field and attack the flats and LOS as well as any safety in this class, but he is limited athletically and does not look like he can matchup with any wide receiver or tight ends with plus speed. Gerry can be an effective early-down player who is best hidden in underneath zone coverage or cover-2 looks in nickel and dime situations.

Round 7 Pick 233 - WR Robert Davis; LB Thomas Davis' Cousin

How ironic. The pick we got for a project WR in Norwood is being used for another project WR in Davis.

A very athletic WR, his combine sure turned some heads. With some insane numbers, he could very well become something in the NFL. While he definitely is an early project, being on the same team with TD will surely motivate him to become well. His athleticism and connection to Thomas Davis will be the difference between him being a lower 7th round pick

TD sure likes him:

3.thumb.PNG.de547b3f1d39ff61331990e277b3c286.PNG

And so does Slaytics, as he's the #1 most athletic WR from this class:

1.thumb.PNG.a8844f87b13d00e52d2ba0b9d0a254a8.PNG

A guy with connections and upside that'll have the Panthers take a look. No doubt TD would love this pick.

Conclusion

In this mock, the following players were selected:

• RD1: RB Leonard Fournette
  • RD2(1): SS Obi Melifonwu
  • RD2(2): DE Derek Rivers
  • RD3(Comp): WR ArDarius Stewart
  • RD4: TE Jeremy Sprinkle
  • RD5: RB Tarik Cohen
  • RD6: SS Nate Gerry
  • RD7: WR Robert Davis

A solid mock, and you won't hear many complaints from me if this occurred.. Sadly, I'm not very acquainted with cornerbacks in this class, but one quality CB could very likely be taken with our round four and we can push everyone else down on this list with Nate Gerry as the odd man out. Otherwise, I wouldn't change very much with this mock.

What say you? How do you like this mock?

Hah I'm not quoting that beast so I'll just @Saca312 you. I don't always agree with you but you put in good work. I like this draft. Would love the first two picks. I personally would switch the third pick to Demarcus Walker, the next to Tanoh Kpassignon, and Tarik Cohen to TJ Logan (though admittedly that's mostly because I've watched more on Logan, Cohen seems just a bit TOO little to me). Those are the only picks I have much of an opinion on.

TLDR: great work.

If you're curious, I got a very fun outline analytical thread I'll make for every prospect we select. I'll make a write-up on each prospect based on my knowledge/quick search up and add it to the outline to give a nice organizer towards how each fits with the team and adds to our talent.

Archived