• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Draft capital left for trading up

AU-panther

I see a lot of people talking about moving back up into the fourth so I decided to look at how much draft capital we have left.  There are definitely some interesting players left that might e there in this next round.

All numbers are from : http://walterfootball.com/draftchart.php

I know the chart isn't always exact but it gives us idea.

Right now we have picks

Round     pick #   Trade value

5th round -  152          (30.6)

6th round -  192          (14.6)

7th round -  226            (2)          226 isn't on the chart so I just went with 2

Our 5th + 6th = 45 points which is pick 127 which is pick 21 in round 4

Our 5th + 6th =7th = 47 points which is pick 125 which is pick 19 in round 4

We originally had 98 and 115 so to get 77 (where we drafted Hall) and potentially 125 will end up costing us our 5th, 6th and 7th.

Hindsight is always 20/20 but  looks like we could have stayed at 98 and took a DE such as Lawson, Wise, Hendrickson and then still had our early 4th and had a really good chance at a TE such as Butt, Leggett, or Kittle.

Now we have to wait and hope a player we want drops to 152 or we have to use up more of our draft capital to move up in the 4th to that 120-130 range and hope one makes it to there.

As Gman said in last nights presser, most college ends are LB's and most LB's are safeties.  Most guys are in the 250 lb range listed as DE's but transition more in the pros to the 34 OLB.  Hall however, was a natural 6'6" and 275 lbs and there are few of them around.  No need in waiting to get a 250 lb guy who cannot ever get to the proper physical attributes needed.

Kittle is about the only guy I see that I would move up for at this point.  How much better he is than Beau Sandland, we don't know, however I think coming out of Iowa, his blocking abilities are much better.

6 minutes ago, stirs said:

As Gman said in last nights presser, most college ends are LB's and most LB's are safeties.  Most guys are in the 250 lb range listed as DE's but transition more in the pros to the 34 OLB.  Hall however, was a natural 6'6" and 275 lbs and there are few of them around.  No need in waiting to get a 250 lb guy who cannot ever get to the proper physical attributes needed.

Kittle is about the only guy I see that I would move up for at this point.  How much better he is than Beau Sandland, we don't know, however I think coming out of Iowa, his blocking abilities are much better.

Kittle over Butt and Sprinkle?

33 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

took a DE such as Lawson

I love me some Carl Lawson and it saddens me to see him keep dropping because I think he'll be an excellent NFL player (I could also be wrong), but the fact that DG/RR didn't seem to show a hint of interest in him prior to the draft probably guaranteed he'd never be a Panther.

19 minutes ago, stirs said:

Lawson really doesn't weight that much less than Hall (261 to 265), but Hall has the frame (Lawson is 6-2 and Hall is 6-5) to put on more good NFL size weight whereas Lawson does not.

That's what the Panthers are looking for and why they were never much interested in Lawson.

28 minutes ago, tiger7_88 said:

I love me some Carl Lawson and it saddens me to see him keep dropping because I think he'll be an excellent NFL player (I could also be wrong), but the fact that DG/RR didn't seem to show a hint of interest in him prior to the draft probably guaranteed he'd never be a Panther.

The only reason Carl is dropping has to do with injuries from what I have read.  Great player, but teams a bit wary of spending early picks

Archived